Game Dealers and future changes?

Remington 700

Yesterday, I had a meeting with the Estate manager and gamekeeper, reference future deer management on the estate. One comment that was raised by the gamekeeper was that he was informed by Vickers game dealers, that game inspectors are now trying to put pressure on game dealers and the powers that be, to stop accepting chest shot deer into the larder, quoting contamination! His words were, that a black mark would be applied against the carcass and that carcass would have to be rejected. They are now looking to only receive head or neck shot animals only.

If this were true this would have severe reprecussions for venison producers and stalkers alike.

Sorry about the Chinese Whispers, but has anyone else heard of any such proposals. :-|

I am a Meat inspector and work for the Food Standards Agency. I attend the local game dealers and inspect carcases and I can assure you we have not been told any such thing. To me it sounds like the game dealer using this as an excuse to probably drop the price paid for chest shot deer !!!. Our local dealers pay the same price across the board.
Brian

Yesterday, I had a meeting with the Estate manager and gamekeeper, reference future deer management on the estate. One comment that was raised by the gamekeeper was that he was informed by Vickers game dealers, that game inspectors are now trying to put pressure on game dealers and the powers that be, to stop accepting chest shot deer into the larder, quoting contamination! His words were, that a black mark would be applied against the carcass and that carcass would have to be rejected. They are now looking to only receive head or neck shot animals only.

If this were true this would have severe reprecussions for venison producers and stalkers alike.

Sorry about the Chinese Whispers, but has anyone else heard of any such proposals. :-|

Mmm, and all of a sudden, because you will not guarantee head / neck shot deer ALL the time, and the gamekeeper will, you will be moved out or lose your permission.... in favour of `guaranteed` revenues... Sod the deer....

Having actually seen non park deer carcases in Alan`s chiller complex at Vicars, on a BDS butchery demo day, they were not all head / neck shot I can assure you, so maybe you need to call Alan and ask him directly and get your own intel.

Good luck.

Neil.

looks like the Waitrose shelves will be empty 'cos the Highland Game larder are full and I didnt see one head or neck shot!

given how many individual shooters they take deer from, not to mention the FC contract I can only guess that is not something that could ever be enforced or suggested as "best practice"

Always a reason to knock the price down. I think it's just a silly rumor as how would one justify all the work that's gone into best practice guidelines, to then try and force head/ neck shots. So as said it's not anything coming from the FSA or other similar body. I'm always a little annoyed when I take in a perfectly good and normal chest shot with just a few damaged ribs to be knocked £0.80KG off the rate of a head neck shot animal. I'd rather have the neck intact for a nice stew than a few old ribs to suck on.

I have dealt with Alan at Vicars since the 80's and have always found them firm but fair.
Here's Alan's phone number <mobile no. removed>
call him and ask

Last edited by a moderator:
I have dealt with Alan at Vicars since the 80's and have always found them firm but fair.
Here's Alan's phone number <mobile no. removed>
call him and ask

+1 on that. I have also known Alan for some time and although I do not see him these days I will say that he has always been a fair and honest man.

Trouble is in this game there are to many Chinese whispers. Could you honestly believe that all game dealers were going to ask for only head and neck shot deer to be presented to them! If this were the case the influx of venison would drop dramatically, and there would be more wounded and missed deer.

Back