GWP X Spaniel

Cut+Squirt

I've just found a litter of GWP X Spaniel pups for sale.
Never in my life have I hear of such a ludicrous cross. . And not only that but having the cheek to ask for £250.00 a pup.

Is it any wonder so many working lines are going down the pan.

I've just found a litter of GWP X Spaniel pups for sale.
Never in my life have I hear of such a ludicrous cross. . And not only that but having the cheek to ask for £250.00 a pup.

Is it any wonder so many working lines are going down the pan.
Good for them, I honestly feel that whatever breed a dog is it needs to be sold at a price that will discourage any scumbags buying it and giving it a crap life besides that do you honestly think that these pups would not suit some of the members on here. I think they may and I bet they would get a good life. Why not give the details out and they could be snapped to potential good homes. Please don't think I am trying to be provocative, just my opinion on a cross that obviously was unintentional but I would think the unfortunate breeder will be trying to do their best for their pups.
ATB
John

There are many cross breed working dogs out there these days some very good. A few years ago most laughed at the labradoodle but it seems to have the right working credentials. You just don't know until someone tries it. To be honest a GWP x Spaniel (hope it's a springer & not a King Charles or Clumber etc) I think has potential. Ok not to the taste of the die hard KC breed standards mob but with true working dogs who cares about that.
Good luck to him finding good working homes
Wingy

Is it any wonder so many working lines are going down the pan. Why ?, this doesn`t change the original pure bred parents. If some one want`s a cross breed so what. Check out Aprils THE FIELD mag, article there about crosses, deliberate crosses, GWP x Labs , GWP x ESS.

Have you any idea how much money, time and effort goes in to rearing a litter of pups? Feed, worming, puppy packs, vet checks, etc

Can any of the vets comment on how much a termination costs?
There appears to be a lot of accidental matings at the moment. . although I say accidental in the loosest possible terms.

A quick buck more like, from two completely unsuitable breeds.

I've got no doubt they will make good pets, but working ability what a joke.

So worst case scenario is that they all go to families who can afford to properly look after them (because they could afford the £250 to buy one) and are looking for a pet that looks cute and doesn't really have to serve any purpose. Surely that's better tthan the owner shipping them off to the RSPCA or giving them out free to anyone who fancies one potentially without being wormed, properly reared etc. Just my opinion but £250 is cheap compared to a lot of "properly" bred dogs, and even a lot of improperly bred ones.

And no, I don't want one.

So worst case scenario is that they all go to families who can afford to properly look after them (because they could afford the £250 to buy one) and are looking for a pet that looks cute and doesn't really have to serve any purpose. Surely that's better tthan the owner shipping them off to the RSPCA or giving them out free to anyone who fancies one potentially without being wormed, properly reared etc. Just my opinion but £250 is cheap compared to a lot of "properly" bred dogs, and even a lot of improperly bred ones.

Agreed, however if this was a genuine mistake why not take the birch to the vet and terminate the pregnancy?
Quite clearly it's because the breeder dosnt want to.

Last edited:
Can any of the vets comment on how much a termination costs?
There appears to be a lot of accidental matings at the moment. . although I say accidental in the loosest possible terms.

A quick buck more like, from two completely unsuitable breeds.

I've got no doubt they will make good pets, but working ability what a joke.

Actually, as far as the GWP x Springer Spaniel, there's some serious work going on to develop a recognised crossbreed with a good working line here in the UK - the people involved seem to have a vast understanding of what they are doing, indeed of working dogs and all aspects of gamekeeping / stalking in general. They are looking to create a dog with a specific set of abilities and characteristics, which has always been the driving force behind all working dog breeding - without this all our dogs would look something like Stan Zuray's sled dogs...

After all and for example, the much loved Wirehaired Viszla is only a relatively recent deliberate GWP x Viszla crossbreed, and the Viszla itself is a result of much deliberate crossbreeding using all manner of earlier breeds to bring in specific characteristics.

As regards the accidental litter for sale, by the time puppies are docked, wormed, innoculated and chipped, not to mention 8-9 weeks of work, weaning food and hassle, £250 a dog is barely covering the cost.

Adam.

I've got nothing against cross breeds, in fact I think that some crosses work out very well indeed but I'm not sure about a GWPxESS cross. What if the result is that you have the worst traits of both breeds?

I've got nothing against cross breeds, in fact I think that some crosses work out very well indeed but I'm not sure about a GWPxESS cross. What if the result is that you have the worst traits of both breeds?

Mike has summed it up perfectly, why would u ever take the risk of having ur shooting stalking dog for next 10 years being a total nutter.
Can't understand wot a springer woud ever bring to a wire or vice vesra, both dogs naturally hunt and quarter anyway, why would u want a hpr that flushes instead of points at 100m? or a springer that works even further away, plenty do that anyway, need a bloody 10 bore to shoot over mine by time feb comes;) (can see the point with a lab but some of those crosses i've seen have been terrible and real nasty bas***d's) althou seen a couple of good 1's too, but if u bougt the right line/type of wire it would just be the same anyway.
IF u get lucky and get a good 1, do u breed off it? Complete lottery anyway but even more so with a cross like that

And yes every breed at 1 point came from cross breeding but back in thoose days the people doing it had very clear ideas exactly wot they wanted to achieve any pup/dog which failed to make the grade for wotever reason (wrong colour, build, temperment, working style etc) was PTS, there was no messing about and no passing on to pet homes for them to bred and spoil any good work.
Far too many sh** dogs being bred from

If u look into the history of the Kothan's Griffon, this boy just decided to make his own breed and within about 30 years it was breeding pure and to type, but he PTS'd an awful lot of dogs in the process to get there.
In russia they done stidies with foxes and found breding the friendliest foxes together within 8 generations they had domesicated them and very rich russians now have foxes as pets, but same again killed all foxes not to type ie friendly

U pay ur money u take ur chance. Nothing against sprocker etc as similar types of dog/style or even a springerdor for a beating/picking up dog but the hpr element will not be a good thing for any beating/picking up dog

Last edited:
Actually, as far as the GWP x Springer Spaniel, there's some serious work going on to develop a recognised crossbreed with a good working line here in the UK - the people involved seem to have a vast understanding of what they are doing, indeed of working dogs and all aspects of gamekeeping / stalking in general. They are looking to create a dog with a specific set of abilities and characteristics, which has always been the driving force behind all working dog breeding - without this all our dogs would look something like Stan Zuray's sled dogs...

After all and for example, the much loved Wirehaired Viszla is only a relatively recent deliberate GWP x Viszla crossbreed, and the Viszla itself is a result of much deliberate crossbreeding using all manner of earlier breeds to bring in specific characteristics.

As regards the accidental litter for sale, by the time puppies are docked, wormed, innoculated and chipped, not to mention 8-9 weeks of work, weaning food and hassle, £250 a dog is barely covering the cost.

Adam.
Adam,
Spot on my friend, I know with Roxy,s pending litter I will be going to the vets to pay a sizeable bill at the end of it. People think rearing a good litter of puppies is just money in the bank, well they need to do a reality check. Its bloody hard work and if you really care it can be very stressful. I am about to start the yoga exercises any second! £250 is bloody cheap and they certainly would not be going from us at that price, that is if the prospective new owners even pass the interveiw stage.
GOOD LUCK with the move buddy and its nice to see the family silver is selling well.
John.

One of the best dogs I ever had was a springer x GSP at the present time I have a GSPx GWP as well as pure GSP's, GWP X Labradors are very popular especially with Scottish grouse keepers at the present time.

There is nothing new about cross breeding what about Sprockers or Jack Russels.

In the past introducing English Pointer blood into our Labradors was common practise to improve their noses.

How did the Irish water spaniel come about? Spaniel blood with a large dash of Poodle.

If you are not entering trials or the show scene what does it matter there are plenty pure bred animals about why would anyone that decides to cross breed be a threat, the myth that once a bitch had a cross bred litter she was ruined as a breeding bitch is now known to be bunkum, but there are still those that perpetuate it.

Last edited:
Agreed, however if this was a genuine mistake why not take the birch to the vet and terminate the pregnancy?
Quite clearly it's because the breeder dosnt want to.[/QUOTE]

Steady on old chap not sure that the vet needs to be punished for the owners mistake :rolleyes:

A friend of mine has dog from a GWPxEss. The dog works very well indeed. Personally I would not have approved of the cross. However if it works well then who are we to argue

I crossed my Lab with a Weirmariner , I got slated un-mercifully on another forum but My pup is turning out exactly as I hoped. We are getting asked about another litter by people who have seen how the seven pups turned out. But this was a one off planned mating as the owner of the bitch and myself knew we would end up with great pups and kept one each .
My brother in law had an English field spaniel and the breed was dying out so a Clumber spaniel was introduced and the breed is saved and recognised.
Cross breeding has been going on for years and has developed some great dogs which are now recognised as pedigrees.
So good luck with the pups and I am sure they will all find good homes (working or not).
Steve.

Quite clearly it's because the breeder dosnt want to.

Steady on old chap not sure that the vet needs to be punished for the owners mistake :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Well spotted . .:D

If you have a perfectly good spaniel, and a perfectly good GWP what traits would you be hoping for in a pup by crossing the two. . .

As Countryboy has pointed out . . A pointing spaniel maybe, or a smaller faster quartering flushing HPR ?

If you happen to own either breed and are happy with its performance and capabilities why would you want to breed it with an unknown quantity?

I appreciate there are some very good crosses out there, but the GWP spaniel one is ludicrous to my mind.

Just found this thread through google cos I just bought a gwp/ess pup for replacement deer dog for twelve year old korthal griffon. Also have sprocker, jackrussell, cross bred cattle, even a Simmental cross Charolais bull.
hybrid vigour and something a little different. pure and pedigree has a place but is often overrated and has limitations ps pup is good working bred gamekeeper dogs.......time will tell but life's too short to never experiment.

Back