Rifle Backpacks.

Blackrider

Considering one of the above probably one of the Harkila jobs after a few lengthy stalks carrying the rifle albeit on its sling.

Anybody use one, any pitfalls, reccommendations here ?

Thanks,

John.

I use an old surplus Swiss Army K-31 rucksack with a Marlin .30-30. It is the prototype for this Swedteam, with the rifle through the middle. The rifle pulls out from the bottom, so the butt is unprotected, but this is a military pack for alpine use and quick access. They are almost impossible to find now.

Harkila ones are fine - just watch out for the Niggeloh ones. The rifle tends to swing about in them, and the bolt can dig into your back. Which can be annoying after 5 or 6 hours......

I use an eberlestock dragonfly works a treat and you can get two roe or three muntjac into no problems.

Considering one of the above probably one of the Harkila jobs after a few lengthy stalks carrying the rifle albeit on its sling.

Anybody use one, any pitfalls, reccommendations here ?

Thanks,

Hi Blackrider

Must admit I did not consider a backpack!! I recently bought a sling from Moray Outfitter.
It definitely stablises and supports the rifle on your back.Worth a look

Cheers Aye

Its looking like the Harkila Rocky Mountain job will be favourite as long as it is secure enough. Probably ok for crawling in the final stages also ? Always find this bit a pain holding a heavy rifle with one hand and sometimes the bins in the other.

Cheers Guys !

If stalking with a back pack, you don't want to be unslinging a rucksac to get your rifle out when that special buck suddenly presents itself - much better to get a Z-Aim sling from Moray Outfitters - Works great with or without a back pack, stabilizes the rifle & distributes the load well plus it is very quick to deploy the rifle when required.

Ian

If stalking with a back pack, you don't want to be unslinging a rucksac to get your rifle out when that special buck suddenly presents itself - much better to get a Z-Aim sling from Moray Outfitters - Works great with or without a back pack, stabilizes the rifle & distributes the load well plus it is very quick to deploy the rifle when required.

Ian
i agree !

I'm very keen on backpack rifle-cases for the hill.
Lately, I've bought one made by an Oldham maker called Ogden. It weights more than the Harkila one, but seems considerably more robust.

I use an Eberlestock Mini-Me minimalist back pack / hydration bladder with an Eberlestock large rifle (LR) scabbard that zips through it and sits neatly along your spine - the rifle sits in it muzzle down and is easily drawn out on the move. They make them in loads of colours and camouflage patterns, including a smart new Loden Green for the European market.

Eberlestock kit is beautifully made and really well thought out ergonomically - unlike Harkila packs that have the worst quality zips in the world...

Adam.

I use an Eberlestock Mini-Me minimalist back pack / hydration bladder with an Eberlestock large rifle (LR) scabbard that zips through it and sits neatly along your spine - the rifle sits in it muzzle down and is easily drawn out on the move. They make them in loads of colours and camouflage patterns, including a smart new Loden Green for the European market.

Eberlestock kit is beautifully made and really well thought out ergonomically - unlike Harkila packs that have the worst quality zips in the world...

Adam.
Checked these out on the web. Terrific looking kit, I assume you would need to order direct to the States ?
Pricey though.
Probably didn't make myself clear on the OP as I did use the word "Backpack" but I'm really looking for just a "rifle carrier" thats a little more than a sling !

sounds like you mean a biathlon type sling , niggeloh do one and I think sporting services list one.

Checked these out on the web. Terrific looking kit, I assume you would need to order direct to the States ?
Pricey though.
Probably didn't make myself clear on the OP as I did use the word "Backpack" but I'm really looking for just a "rifle carrier" thats a little more than a sling !

That's OK as I deleted my early post when realising I had missed the ref to "rifle".

You could be fun if sent to the bar for a round of drinks though!

K

Thanks for this Ian !
Nice looking bit of Kit here. I'm wondering if they do it in a "Left Handed" mode as I notice it is shown with an R93 ? I have such a rifle and I know that if I carry it now on the standard sling on the other shoulder, the bolt "digs into my back" !

Sorry to be a Pain, us "Kack-Handed" types are always gripping about this problem !

I'm very keen on backpack rifle-cases for the hill.
Lately, I've bought one made by an Oldham maker called Ogden. It weights more than the Harkila one, but seems considerably more robust.
Not seen these but they sound very interesting !
Would love to know more !

Cheers !

Phil Ogden makes some excellent gear so that's a lead well worth following up.

I've used the Swedteam backpack/scabbard a fair bit, and have found it's an excellent way to get all my gear to a high seat or other overwatch position where a bit of a hike is required, and even for getting around in high ground where it helps to have your hands completely free and your gear protected in the event of a fall.

If you want something that doubles up as a roe-sack, however, the Harkila Pamir is probably a better choice.

Back