Anyone taking a 6.5x55 to the H4H shoot?

stratts

Just wondering chaps as I'm seriously considering changing my .243 and .308 rifles for a 6.5x55 as an all rounder, but have never seen one fired in the flesh or spoken to anyone that uses them? The cal seems to tick all my boxes for my stalking needs and the sale of my current rifles and scopes should get me a decent setup as a go to rifle,

Cheers

Stratts

Had a lakelander in 6.5 x55 and you're right it certainly ticks all the boxes a sweet calibre for sure , currently using a 7 08 abd to be honest it's just as good nothing to choose between them as a stalking calibre

You won't go too far wrong with a 6.5x55! I have a 6.5 and a 243 and both do equally a good job on deer which for me is predominantly is fallow. If I was put on the spot and had to choose one calibre it would be the 6.5 A much bigger choice of bullet weights than a 243 and from experience it is definitely a hard hitting calibre, easy to shoot, moderates well and with mild recoil. Certainly more than enough to deal with any species of deer you will encounter in the UK.

ATB

T

+1 for the 6.5x55. It ticks all the boxes for a reasonable all-rounder although you could say the same for the 308 too. Both have lots of bullet weights and are easy to source. I've had a 7mm-08 and a .308 and both are fantastic calibers. I'm now using the 6.5x55 on the Roe and hopefully will be on the Fallow later this year too. Personally, if I could afford it I'd still like a heavy caliber for Reds and Boar but that's just personal preference. They all kill deer.

Hi Stratts and all, have a Sako 75 and a CF2 Stutzen in 6.5x55 will be bringing them both. You can have a few shots if you want.

your guns seem to be knocking things down well enough. I have 308 and 243, boring I know but they work fine and if one is out of action I have another that I can use. If you swap for one rifle and its out of action you will be stuffed. Enjoy your stalking and forget about it otherwise once you get your 6.5 you will be asking about the merits of 7-08

Interested to know why you would not consider a .308 as an all rounder?

your guns seem to be knocking things down well enough. I have 308 and 243, boring I know but they work fine and if one is out of action I have another that I can use. If you swap for one rifle and its out of action you will be stuffed. Enjoy your stalking and forget about it otherwise once you get your 6.5 you will be asking about the merits of 7-08

Maybe I read too many different threads on forums about different calibres!! :rolleyes:

I'd figured the .308 would be too fierce for most of my stalking which is muntjac (soon to be roe too) up to 100yds.

Also I now realise that with the amount of stalking I am doing and am likely to do I think I'll be needing a stainless synthetic rifle and to fund a good one I'll need to free up funds. I got told this by a certain member on here who shall remain nameless from the off but I thought I knew best!! :doh: Only way to do this for me is to sell both rifles and one scope and I thought if I have to do that I may as well do a variation and get the one all rounder!

Perhaps I should look more into the ammo ranges for the .308 instead? Or, like you say, stick with what I have, get the .243 shortened as I had planned and get on with it!!

Decisions, decisions!! :lol:

i use a stainless syn 308 browning xbolt stratts for all my stalking (gets wet/dirty/banged dont matter etc etc) , i load 180 grain sierras spbt at 2502 fps, slow and heavy = less meat damage (fact)

does drop abit but i zero 2 inchs high at 100 yards and that makes it bang on at 190 yards = point aim fire=1 dead deer, at most stalking ranges

i also have a 243 and 270 but they get left in the cabinet, i always use my 308 and the 180s take deer down with style with less damage than the 243/270

my advise would be, sell up and buy a 308 s/s with a quality scope one of the big 3 makes and load the 180 grains , then practice practice and more practice you then have a gun for all deer , boar, goats everything job done

ATB

Dave

Thanks mate I was just checking out guntrader looking to see what's about. I get on really well with my Meopta scopes so will be well happy to keep one of those. Plenty to think about over the next few weeks/months as I'm in no rush, unless I keep getting wet!!

Funnily enough I was also just reading the thread about the .308 article in the latest mag. Gonna check it out tmoro to see what it says!

anouther tip stratts if you can afford a scope with a variable illuminated dot in the centre of the cross hair buy one , they are a great help ,as you know most deer are shot in poor light conditions

I don't think you can get synth stocks for old school brno zkk 601,s mate!! Brithunter would never talk to me again if i did that to them as well!! Got a price to ceracoat the .243 but it's a viable option i'm afraid!

I've been checking out the meopta dot scopes too but again the other stuff would have to go to fund one,
Cheers chaps

I don't think you can get synth stocks for old school brno zkk 601,s mate!! Brithunter would never talk to me again if i did that to them as well!! Got a price to ceracoat the .243 but it's a viable option i'm afraid!

I've been checking out the meopta dot scopes too but again the other stuff would have to go to fund one,
Cheers chaps

I have 2 601s one in 243 and one in 308. both have seen a lot of abuse lamping and stalking in all conditions. Neither has let me down for not being stainless or synthetic and shoot one hole groups (the 308 had a problem that i think was caused by damaging the bedding by shooting with loose stock screws but since bedding and floating is back to tack driving).
My rifles are not pretty but they work consistently for me and I am confident in them (the vital component)
Interestingly I occasionally shoot on culls where the range of calibers span 222 to 300 win mag and the rifles range from modern synthetic stainless offerings sakos brownings remys tikkas etc and more "budget" rifles such as 601s parker hales bsas etc. I have seen absolutely no coralation between caliber or type of rifle and what comes into the larder. The lads that consistently bring home the bacon (venison) consistently and well shot would do it with any rifle calibre as long as it is accurate.
If youve lost confidence in your set up thats one thing but if your rifles shoot straight and they are knocking deer over I would say you have more to lose than gain be changing rifles. You could end up with a dog and wished you hadnt bothered. If your desperate to spend money on shooting gear then upgrade your glass.

ATB

Pete

Maybe I read too many different threads on forums about different calibres!! :rolleyes:

I'd figured the .308 would be too fierce for most of my stalking which is muntjac (soon to be roe too) up to 100yds.

Also I now realise that with the amount of stalking I am doing and am likely to do I think I'll be needing a stainless synthetic rifle and to fund a good one I'll need to free up funds. I got told this by a certain member on here who shall remain nameless from the off but I thought I knew best!! :doh: Only way to do this for me is to sell both rifles and one scope and I thought if I have to do that I may as well do a variation and get the one all rounder!

Perhaps I should look more into the ammo ranges for the .308 instead? Or, like you say, stick with what I have, get the .243 shortened as I had planned and get on with it!!

Decisions, decisions!! :lol:
stratts I really wouldn't worry about .308 being too much on muntys and roe I shot a lot of muntys with the 7 08 and it's just fine on then if you do your part without too much meat wasted ( either heart or neck shot )
atb jim

Back