Thread: Small steps..

Small steps..

Just thought id share a quick post on another step forward with my young HWV's training

He will be 12 months old this month and so far we have been taking it really easy as per advice from a few experienced HWV owners.

We have been doing mainly short trails, mostly with cleaves only, then a little blood for a change sometimes and keeping them short, easyish and usually no more than 2-3 hours old.
    Slowly working towards the longer and older but always ending in a positive.

Today was the first day we had a fully intact carcase at the trail end, interesting to note the reaction of him when we got to the end of the trail this time

He seemed a little "standoffish" at first , which to be fair, he's never had a full carcase in front if him in the field (pickup/larder excluded), usually skin/head or legs but i gave him his time, small steps and all that, and his interest soon switched on like a light bulb! As if the penny dropped.

I also put in 2 (rather than 1) 90 degree turns today over the 100m route, one over a field drain using only the cleaves so another positive day in my book as we stumble along with our training of each other

He must have been very pleased with himself as he was still carrying one of the "rewards" when we got home

Anyway, Onwards & upwards

Thanks for reading

He looks all grown up now John, well done on the training looks like he's coming on just fine!

Alba gu brąth

Sauer 101 6.5x55, Beretta Silver Pigeon 12g Over&Under

Great to read and photos - thank you for sharing the start of your journey, and hopefully the rest too!
    Cheers, L

Cheers gents, long way to go but it will be fun and worth it in the end