Thread: Ruger American Bolt

Ruger American Bolt

Hi guys, I usually take the bolts out of my rifles when stored I'm my gun cabinet, this is to avoid accidentally dinging rifle stocks and to maximise the space available in an almost full 7 gun cabinet.

I must say I am surprised to see the difference in thickness of the bolt on a new Ruger American rifle in comparison to a Tikka T3 and a stainless Sako 85 rifle. The Ruger having a substantially thicker bolt.... Looks like this bolt has been a bit over engineered in comparison to the t3 and Sako 85.

Any thoughts guys?

Attachment 41238

the lugs are not much different, more metal on the bolt,less on the action?

As said above. Probably a stock size of material used for the bolt with less machining needed to reduce diameter. Lugs and recess behind look about the same as the others so no strength gained their.

The strength comes from lugs, the necked down bit makes no difference to strength.

I am not sure about the bolt on a Ruger but doesn't the company rely more on investment casting of receivers than most other manufacturers?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Yes, Ruger pioneered casting for rifle receivers and handgun parts, especially stainless steel. Because of their skill in casting titanium, they made golf club head for Ping, and ended up owning Ping.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    I am not sure about the bolt on a Ruger but doesn't the company rely more on investment casting of receivers than most other manufacturers?
    It seems the Ruger American receiver is machined from billet or tube.

There is a very detailed review with lots of photos of the innards, including details of the fat bolt, and the reason for it, at

The only part of the receiver where strength is important is the region where the bolt lugs engage and the barrel is attached. Behind this point it is there for alignment only, where the fatter bolt might have some advantages.

Consider: Blasers don't even have a receiver as such, the bolt collets lock straight into the barrel. Several other German rifle designs use the same principle.

It does look like a decent piece of value engineering.
    Last edited by Sharpie; 29-04-2014 at 00:54.

A full body bolt, as it is called, fully supports the bolt in the receiver, making for smooth travel, like the Sauer 200 and 202, the SHR 970, Tikka. The post-1968 Steyr Mannlichers were some of the first ones, beginning with the SSG-69, then Models S, M, L, etc.

It gives the option of one diameter for the bolt and receiver for a wide variety of cartridges, from .223 to .458 WM. The action length could vary, like the Steyrs, or be just one, like the Tikka T3 and SHR 970.