Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DCS Best Practice Guidance...

DCS Best Practice Guidance...

got home today and there was a huge package waiting next to the wife who was tapping her toes waiting for me to tell her what i had been spending my money
    She didnt believe the 'i've not ordered anything that big' i took the bull by the horns and opened the package.....

There inside was and A4 binder, containing the DCS Best Practice Guidance notes, together with a letter telling me now that i have registered i will be getting some 9 updates soon that they are in the middle of producing...

The litereature is printed in glossy colour on high quality card/paper...and it is full of photos of everything they discuss...

I got the DSC1 guidance manual a few months ago and it is great but some of the written instructions and notes are unclear unless you have previously seen whatever they are talking about. This new guidance has the pictures the DSC1 lacks!!

Before you ask, i have nothing to do with the DCS, but as i am in the process of doing my DSC1 [possibly in early 2011 now due to funds and BASC courses nearby]...i am always on the lookout for any literature that will boost my learning and understanding. I have read the DSC1 guidance from front to back a handfull of times and it has started to get a bit stale...this new folder will certainally help. it also has a lot about actual mechanisms for management etc and goes into a bit more depth.

Anyway, thats all now, for 15 i think this is a great buy if you are hoping to do your DSC1, or have just done it and want a reference manual.

Sorry if most on here already know about this, and i know there is already a post on it but i thought i would just do my own quick summary of it for other newbies!! are a few pics to give you an idea!

Great guide and with the backup it is a cheep buy, Jim

These are excellent and they can also be seen online.

The only thing to be careful of, is that it conflicts with safety of the rifle when you come to do the DSC2. I have contacted them about this and in the future I would like to see a change.

Other than that, a canny 15 quid spent

Quote Originally Posted by jingzy
    These are excellent and they can also be seen online.

The only thing to be careful of, is that it conflicts with safety of the rifle when you come to do the DSC2. I have contacted them about this and in the future I would like to see a change.

Other than that, a canny 15 quid spent
    Hi John,

Out of interest, in what way does it conflict with DSC2?

That looks fantastic, BUT, where did you get it? and I keep hearing about books for DSC1 etc, when I did my DSC1 I never got anything! Not one scrap of paper, I have just completed my DSC2 and again nothing other than what I have bought from various places (Amazon normally) How can I get this manual? It looks the business and I like pictures!

Fill it in, pays yer money, and take your chances, You won't regret it, Jim

The dsc 2 requires anyone that is going over obstacles etc to make the rifle safe. The only way to do this is by no rounds in the chamber and non in the magazine.

The Best Practice states:
    It may be acceptable to hand over a rifle with a chambered round and the safety catch on (Stage 4*) for example, before the culmination of a stalk.

It also used to state that it was ok to have a round underbolted!

These are things that the DSC does not allow.

hi...yes jingzy, i spotted that last night and thought it odd....

Jingzy, and others, do you think that it is better to totally unload the rifle before handing it over?

My personal view, assuming that the person being handed the rifle knows the condition it is in and that you are handing it to them not throwing it or something silly, is that it is at least as safe to carefully hand it to them with a chambered round than to have to go through the process of unloading and then reloading/cambering a round again. Clearly this might also depend to some degree on the person you are handing the rifle to but I'm assuming a fellow stalker with experience of rifles who is aware of the condition of the rifle and is willing to accept it in that condition.

I have a Blaser and so tend, when stalking, to carry it with a round in the chamber and uncocked and I think this is pretty much normal practise for forest stalking. I am aware that having it "uncocked" is no excuse for sloppy practises but in forest type situations the noise involved in chambering a round is such as to make it impossible to get a shot if you had to do that everytime you spotted a deer. Would this be acceptable for DSC2?

Also, what do we all define as an "obstacle?" I guess there could be a situation where a forest stalker from down south might see some rough ground as an "obstacle" and unload while a hill stalker might see it as an example of normal ground. Are either of them wrong?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought this introduced some interesting questions, especially for someone like me who is a relative newcomer to the sport.