Warning - Check you house insurance ref FAC rifles!

stratts

Just a heads up really as I have been counting up the value of all my kit to make sure it is covered by various insurances. (It's amazing how much it would cost based on RRP new to replace!!) Just checked with my house insurance and although I'm covered for shotguns and sub 12ft air rifles up to £1500 each without naming them, anything that requires a FAC isn't covered. AND, they are only covered while in transit (whatever that means!!) and not for accidental damage or damage while being used!! Likewise bins, rangefinders, etc, basically any single item below £1200 is covered as standard without naming should they get lost, stolen or damaged away from home!

I'm probably like most people and plump for the cheapest house insurance I can through the comparison sites, but from now on I'll be checking the small print and make sure stuff is actually covered come renewal time!!

Stratts

Owning guns, especially if you have any valuable ones in terms of replacement costs, does not go hand in hand with cheap insurance. I obtained a number of quotes for re-insuring last year and they all looked good until the guns were factored in, then up they went, all of them.

Stratts, interested to know who you are insured (or possibly were) with, all my rifles are listed on my house insurance covered in or away from the property, and I have several other items over a certain value listed as well, our premium isn't too bad......that's with nfu.....

I use the NFU too and just have them individually listed as per the above post. Made no difference to my premiums.

This'll make you chuckle but we've been with Sheila's Wheels for ages coz they have been bonza with costs and cover. That was before I owned guns and really took stock of how much I now own for shooting!! I'm currently going through my 1st ever claim when the landing and bedroom ceiling caved in with water from a dodgy header tank on Friday and so far been impressed with service too!

May change next time round though and a lot of people are saying NFU is the way forward!!

Stratts, interested to know who you are insured (or possibly were) with, all my rifles are listed on my house insurance covered in or away from the property, and I have several other items over a certain value listed as well, our premium isn't too bad......that's with nfu.....

Same here. I am with Direct Line and I made sure I clarified this.

I always ring the insurance company and talk to someone. I tell them what I want to happen (i.e. If I get robbed I want my hifi equipment, watches, DVDs/books, furniture, clothes and guns replaced). You'd be amazed how many decline to quote when you ask them this (I love "calls being recorded for training purposes"). I've asked a couple of them why they don't want to quote now I'm asking them to do what the average person would expect a house insurance policy to payout against....no answer! Once I find a company willing to agree I usually pay a lot more but at least I'm happy that, in the event that I'm robbed, I'll get paid out for what I feel is enough to replace my property.

We're thatched so have limited choices anyway. Also remember that insurance policies normally state items over a certain value need to be declared. With a firearm whilst the individual items may be less than the threshold the cumulative value of rifle, scope, mounts, sling, moderator, as would be transported in your vehicle, may well be over the threshold.
Also as an aside, how many of you specify actual value of goods in garage/outbuildings - unless you do you may only be insured up to £1500 and once you add it all up you'd be surprised. Premiums are normally tiny to add up to £15,000 for outbuilding/garage content.

With a firearm whilst the individual items may be less than the threshold the cumulative value of rifle, scope, mounts, sling, moderator, as would be transported in your vehicle, may well be over the threshold.

I asked Santander earlier this year about whether to combine cost of scope, mod, rifle etc into one insured sum or class them as separate when getting household insurance. Their answer was "can you buy each item separately, if you can then don't combine them."

I did belt and braces and sent a list of all the individual items with serial numbers and value stating that there could be any combination of rifle/scope/moderator assembled at any point and also multiple firearms traveling together.
You can't be too careful.

As above, I have just renewed with Legal and General and have itemised guns and items of value on my policy and find it doesn't actually add that much to the cost of the policy. Am interested in NFU as well since so many recommend it. Garage and other effects outside the property are also included in the policy.

Not had a problem with The AA when I mentioned rifles. I do wonder about getting into reloading and how having explosive powders might affect things...

Back