feeding roe deer

evening all, I was talking to a lad today that was telling me that he feeds his roe on his permissions..
Have/does anyone else do this and what do you feed them..? I would of thought that there is enough for them without supplement feeding...

evening all, I was talking to a lad today that was telling me that he feeds his roe on his permissions..
Have/does anyone else do this and what do you feed them..? I would of thought that there is enough for them without supplement feeding...

Leed I think

Unless you have taken the wrong end of the stick, I know a few people who feed - supplements to roe - salt licks mineral blocks and the like - as do I on some of my grounds.
So I wouldn't see it being too much of a leg pull. There are too many people on here that jump in with fits of laughter without thinking about what they write.......

I have a very difficult permission to manage with foot paths on two of the three sides. There are only 3 safe firing lanes to use, so I feed the deer in to these positions and only shoot them when they are in those places.... Not on the way in / out of those areas....

Also, there is no reason why you cannot improve the quality of deer by feeding them if the weather is particularly hard.... Certainly worth a try if you are wanting to improve the heads / size / quality of deer coming of the land....

Hi there, I am looking for some kind of feeding block or licks and would appreciate it if you could let me know where I could purchase those as I would like to supplement the roe deer on an estate where I have the stalking rights in the Scottish Highlands through the winter months.

Hi there, I am looking for some kind of feeding block or licks and would appreciate it if you could let me know where I could purchase those as I would like to supplement the roe deer on an estate where I have the stalking rights in the Scottish Highlands through the winter months.

GIYF: KNZ Wild Mineral Licks - Hockham Deer Management Group Norfolk Stalking Thetford Forest

... and just having been banged for $2.7 billion they need all the clicks they can get to pay for their HobNobs!

Bushwear in Perth and Stirling have salt block and molasses Salt Shooting

Cheers

Bruce

Nothing wrong with feeding them (When the weather is very bad, and there is little food, so say Jan-March) IF it is done to attract them to an area where it is safe to shoot, if you have backstop /safety issues on your land and/or have pressure from a landowner to reduce the deer population. But I believe 'baiting' deer to shoot is illegal. Shooting them on their way to an area where you feed is not. So it is all all very ambiguous.
Apples, carrots and sugar-beet can be successful. Or products made out of those feeds, such as Speedy-Beet.
Is it sporty? Maybe not, but neither is using a rifle...

Try to get a copy of the Duke of Bavaria's book Auf Dr Reh/Apropos du chevreuil on the subject matter, which is a bit more involved.....

as already said just a plain old pheasant feeder with wheat in will do the trick i have taken many roe and muntjac from off of feed bins

Your local Clydesdale bank usually carries a good asortment of horsey type stuff. My local branch do a cracking Fedora hat with corks on strings around the brim for just under fifty quid (£49.99), not very horsey I know, but, guaranteed to get you a good hiding from our local yobs who hate Australians.
Nogger

Nothing wrong with feeding them (When the weather is very bad, and there is little food, so say Jan-March) IF it is done to attract them to an area where it is safe to shoot, if you have backstop /safety issues on your land and/or have pressure from a landowner to reduce the deer population. But I believe 'baiting' deer to shoot is illegal. Shooting them on their way to an area where you feed is not. So it is all all very ambiguous.
Apples, carrots and sugar-beet can be successful. Or products made out of those feeds, such as Speedy-Beet.
Is it sporty? Maybe not, but neither is using a rifle...

But then using a telescopic sight was at one time considered to be very unsporting.... skip to present day and we have Thermal riflescopes.

I have a reasonable number of Fallow on the land and cameras show that they really go for juicy green apples, have many photos of deer with streams of apple juice running down their chins.

atb WB.

Last edited:
Back