Changing barrels on a 22lr

Wiltshire Lad

This isn't the same question as posted a few minutes ago!

I have a Ruger 10/22, I have ordered a replacement barrel, which has been shipped to my local RFD. I was intending to give the RFD my old barrel (for destruction or whatever) then take the new one. When I was there the RFD said that as Ruger 10/22s don't have serial numbers on the barrels, it might be possible that I could keep the old barrel. He called the local firearms licensing team who said that even if I want to dispose of the old barrel, I'll need a one-for-one variation for the new barrel. I know of several people that haven't had a variation to do exactly the same thing, so I was a bit surprised. After this variation I presume I will end up with a FAC with exactly the same 10/22 with the same serial number (as it is on the identical action).

If you want to keep an additional barrel then you will have to apply for a variation for a spare barrel, but if the dealer simply swaps it over then there shouldn't be the need to involve the firearms department or vary your certificate.

I would have thought that if you were keeping the old barrel then you would need a slot on you FAC for it.
If the RFD was replacing the old barrel with a new one then that is within the RFDs realm of responsibility to account for the barrel.
You give him your rifle he then "repairs" it and returns it, no need to involve the licensing dept.

BASC firearms team have also confirmed the need for a one-for-one variation to change the barrel.

What exactly were they asked?
Were they aware that it was just changing the barrel for one of the same calibre and that the barrel is un-numbered?

I can think of one guy local to me who happens to be a RFD and he regularly swapped barrels over on 10/22's, as after all they are simply held in by a wedge and two allen bolts. Also if you put a conventional rifle into a gunsmith to simply have it re-barrelled are you supposed to apply for a variation so that you can have exactly the same rifle that you already own and has in effect simply been in for repair returned to you?????? If you were to accept this then surely you will need to apply for a variation every time you put a gun into a gunsmith for repair.

I simply don't believe it, there has been some misunderstanding there.:cuckoo:

I asked BASC what I needed to do to change the barrel on a Ruger 10/22, for the same caliber, where both barrels have no serial number, and where I was willing to give the old barrel to the RFD for destruction. Their response was that a one for one variation was required.

In the end I went to police HQ and got my one for one variation in three minutes. I agree that it was all a waste of time and I know of other people that have just swapped them. Once the police and BASC firearms team have given you the same answer, there comes a point when you need to decide if you should just comply or keep banging your head on a wall.

I raised the question of repairs with the police and they said that a one for one variation would be required if any controlled item was replaced in the course of a repair.

You need a 1 for 1 because they are different firearms. The fact that there is no serial number is irrelevant for the purposes of variation. The RFD is using the principle of "how would they tell" because in practice it is less bureaucratic.

You need a 1 for 1 because they are different firearms. The fact that there is no serial number is irrelevant for the purposes of variation. The RFD is using the principle of "how would they tell" because in practice it is less bureaucratic.
Ok, so which components would I need a one for one for? Bolt, receiver, trigger group, firing pin?

Back