POI with different weight bullets in the same calibre

.30-06

I have a .223 which I am considering using on Scottish roe.

Obviously this requires certain minimum conditions to be legal.

I use one factory round in my .22LR just because it really likes Eley sub hollow point, and another 130gr factory round in my .270 for all of my shooting.

Ignoring reloaded stuff for now and concentrating on the .223 or .270, what changes do you see when you zero at 100 (or 1" above) and change weight ?

Loads of folks go on about using heavier rounds for X and lighter rounds for Y

Are you seeing a significant change in POI or is it close enough to shoot with the same expectations ?

I've searched but found nothing conclusive with particular regard to either .223 or .270, hence the stupid question.

Thanks in advance :)

Interesting question. The only way to be sure is to test your ammunition in your rifles and note the results. There aren't any short cuts that I'm aware of.

The only recommendation I would make is to use one round for deer/fox in a given rifle, then accept that all other rounds (for practice/range work) will shoot to a different POI. I like to keep things simple and make no adjustments to my kit while stalking.

Regards

JCS

Yes, that's where I would like to be, with one round for everything in both .270 and .223

Currently I use 130gr factory ammo in the .270, which seems to like them. Some might say I ought to be using 150's for reds, or that 130's are too much for the smaller deer. It will pretty much cloverleaf the 130's at 100 yards so that would seem a great place

Likewise, if a specific factory round for .223 gives me what I want for Scottish roe, that's what I will use across the board from that gun.

I just wondered since there's a lot of mention by those who know of different weights used for different purposes, but very little supporting data offered by real-world users on what that translates to downrange.

I'm blessed with a curious mind...

:)

I did a sort of experiment with my 308 with different bullet weights, and indeed different loads, and shot them all at one target. Stalkers shooting in the field, including myself, can reliably shoot a group of about 3 inches and all the various loads shot a group that was about 3 - 4 inches.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/80806-The-fun-continues-and-the-group-grows

It is probably best if you read all the threads in order, there are links to the earlier ones in that post.

I did a sort of experiment with my 308 with different bullet weights, and indeed different loads, and shot them all at one target. Stalkers shooting in the field, including myself, can reliably shoot a group of about 3 inches and all the various loads shot a group that was about 3 - 4 inches.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/80806-The-fun-continues-and-the-group-grows

It is probably best if you read all the threads in order, there are links to the earlier ones in that post.

Thank you very much for that :)

Took a while to go through but well worth the read - lots to consider and an evening or two to ponder it all is in order I think.

:D

I use 52gr AMax and 60gr soft points in my .222

both at 100yds I get a +1" on the AMax and a +2" on the SP's
No lateral changes
I leave the scope alone and just point and shoot out past 200yds

Why change bullet weight with the .223?
I use 55gn for everything, bt for foxes, soft points for deer and fmj for target.
there's very little difference in the POI with any of them.

I use 55gn for everything, bt for foxes, soft points for deer and fmj for target.

Because a heavier soft point is a much better round for deer than a lighter soft point

downrange energy

That's kind of what I'm asking :)

I hear much talk that I don't pretend to understand - that is, I understand the theory but have no firm basis for comparison.

Hence the questions of what people are using and why, and what POI differences (if any) they observe under real world conditions.

My goal with the .223 is simple - find a round that exceeds the requirements for roe that both me and the gun group well with and buy lots of them and stick with them.

I'm not chopping and changing or faffing around unless I have to, but if I have to, I will.

If it's any help, my 1-9 twist Steyr pro varmint .223 shoots 55g Privi soft points and 50g Norma Vmax's to the same poi- well, within the privi's grouping size anyhow.
So? So, for cover-plot rabbits, passing squirrels, muntjac, plinking and other non-important shots I use the 50p privi's and for crows and foxes I use the £1.10 Norma's :)

Obviously the trajectories are different but practically for me it means just remembering a 230y point blank range with the Norma's and about a 210y one with the Privi's before I start ranging/dialling.

I also have to remember to switch cartridges on my iStrelok app too ;) :D

There are several complicated variables involved so almost impossible to make a sensible judgement as to point of impact. The only way is to get or reload some ammo and test it. Sod's Law predicts it will not be the same.

You just will not know until you try. Some rifles will shoot many different loads not only well, but to the same spot. Some will shoot small groups in a vertical line. Some will shoot a heavier bullet to a higher point, due to barrel vibration.

Back