Venison & ale pie

griffshrek

Hello all i thought i'd share with you my Venison & ale pie recipe I recently made , last week the wife bought a family size steak pie for just shy of £8 being the skinflint i am and my OCD telling me i can do better with venison I had a go.

This what i did and ingredients i used to make one 10" pie & a smaller 6" in one go.

2lbs cubed venison
1.5lbs kidney in good size chunks
finely dice 3 large carrots and 3 stalks of celery
quarter 8 golf ball size onions
1 leek (i am welsh)
can of ale or stout i used 1 can of Murphys
2 bay leaves
salt pepper to taste
venison stock ( made from bones)
1 pack of ready made short crust pastry

Hard fry / well brown 2lbs of cubed venison then coat with seasoned flour
fry off diced carrots , celery,leeks & onion
add the meat & kidney cooked veg to either a slow cooker , pressure cooker or large pan add the ale bay leaves venison stock and cook until meat is tender(i used a pressure cooker and it took 30 mins)

Once cooked drain off all liquid then set meat & veg aside
season to taste then thicken the remaining juice /stock with cornflour until like thick custard
add meat & veg to thickened stock and set aside to cool off ( i used my chiller with a fan blowing onto the meat and it didnt take long)

role out 1/2 the pastry into the tins and blind bake ( i egg washed the pastry in tins and this seemed to seal it )
once pastry is baked add the cooled venison veg gravy mixture and put on the crust

egg wash the top of the pie and cut an X in center to let off steam , i baked mine in medium oven for 30-35 mins and it turned out even better than i expected , it is even good cold the pastry stayed nice and dry not soggy .

hope you enjoy ......neil
View attachment 41371View attachment 41372

Last edited:
top recipe!

have also been experimenting with venison pie - the only thing I might add is that ale and stout gave me quite different results.

Wife explained that as both venison & Guinness have (apparently) high levels of iron, when I paired them up I got a meat pie with a 'metallic' taste to it. Flipping over to bitter softened the meat taste up a treat....

tony

Back