Advice . .Quality Gaiters.

Cut+Squirt

Guys, I'm looking for a good quality pair of full length gaiters.
I've tried the Berghaus yetis and was seriously unimpressed with the quality, so much
so they were sent back.

Therefore I'm looking for a more traditional style gaiter, they need to stand up to a bit of
rough, clear fell, heather, bramble etc.

All suggestions appreciated.

Regards,

Cadex

Last edited:
Cadex.

I will be very interested to hear your conclusions. I'm thinking of retraining as a gaiter destroyer. I managed to pull the lace hook off the most recent purchase as I took them off for the first time. Congratulations on eventually getting your AW brief.

Best regards

JCS

I have had the yetis and apart from getting the **** ripped out for looking like i was on the moon i ended up with just bog standard army gaitors and the work a treat and cheap off flea bay i have almost broke the rubber strap now but they are 5 years old,atb wayne

Cadex.

I will be very interested to hear your conclusions. I'm thinking of retraining as a gaiter destroyer. I managed to pull the lace hook off the most recent purchase as I took them off for the first time. Congratulations on eventually getting your AW brief.

Best regards,
JCS

Yes, me too. . . I had a pair of yeti gaiters and the rubber rand split in no time at all.
The best I have found to date are the ex military ones, they are heavy treated cotton and stand up well to abuse but they need reproofing virtually evertime they get wet.

Thanks, it has taken me the best part of a year to finally sort out my Approved Witnessing, but hopefully it will have been worth the wait :D

Last edited:
53.jpg

http://www.blackislander.co.uk/catalogue/black-islander-delux-gaiter.htm

Le Chameau ones for me, worn them all through grouse seasons, pheasant season and some deerstalking and so far just clean them with a hose every so often, wth no real signs of wear

Apparently the ones Mark (MMBeatle) sells on here are quite good, but I'm yet to take the plunge myself so can't comment 1st hand,

Stratts

bought a pair of berhaus about 10 years ago and used them for stalking, shooting, mountaineering, etc. finally broke a strap on them last season, well, actually, the dog chewed the strap!

think I paid £18 back then.

IMHO, the most important thing about gaiters are they are not a complete nightmare and backbreakers to put on and zip up.

Camo Le Chameau, used mine for 5 seasons now & just got the Mrs to put a new zip on for a few more. Make sure you clean & oil the zip at end of season otherwise it will corrode.

fenman99

+1 for Black Islander - and a good company to do business with to boot.

I have used a lot of different gaiters in the past including yetis and am very happy with the blackislanders which I've had for about four years now.

Make sure you clean & oil the zip at end of season otherwise it will corrode.

fenman99

I use a silicone spray on my various zips and its great. Mentioned it on something else the other day but v pleased with it.

I have used the Trailwise Snolock canvas gaiters for more than a decade. They are strong canvas and available in different lengths and fittings.
They last me about five years and keep the brambles out too.
The zip is at the back so helps in keeping the wet out. I have never managed to break the underfoot securing band either.
Good, strong kit.

I have a pair of Kammo and they are point blank - to the extent I am actually prepared to step outside and fight :D - the best gaiters I have ever had.

I have tried to contact the new Kammo firm with little success and growing suspicion their products may not be what they once were. Typically I havent had chance to get to see them direct at any fairs they are at. There have been other threads on this. I would love to see current product and live in hope.

With my beloved gaiters falling apart ( after ten times the use most others survive ) and with no joy from Kammo, I plumped for Black Islander Delux ones. They are possibly the best of the rest - (front fastening is a good feature to look for ) - but compared to the old Kammo make an almighty racket in the heather and they either leak or allow humidity to build up enough to wet my socks - partly defeating the object. Kammo never leaked, never sweated, the soft outer fabric was whisper quiet too.

Sorry for rant - few things set me off, but such rigmarole to just get a pair of decent gaiters is depressing :D

Cadex take a look at kuu gaiters, they get good reviews I looked at them when I broke the zip on my hu tech ones, thankfully I got the zip fixed and I'm looking forward to many more years. Wear

Black Islander Deluxe for me, only on my 1st season with them but fine so far, last pair was Barbour canvas ones which were ok but very noisy!

Bryan

Back