Buttalo Roe Call; what/where/when to use?

KBar1970

As a novice, any handy hints or tips from those more experienced?

Many thanks in advance

Check this thread: Butollo call on Roe

Also, if you can, get hold of the Richard Prior CD on calling roe. It is some years old but still the definitive work on the subject. It is available from BDS and elsewhere: Roe Calling with Richard Prior. Practice the different calls beforehand, not when you are out in the field. I spend car journeys in June and early July listening to the CD and practicing on the roe call, which can make it interesting if the phone is on "auto-answer".

From a personal perspective the main advice I would give is "don't start trying to call until you know for sure the rut is underway", as otherwise all you will do is educate the bucks to avoid the call. Resist the temptation to "give the call a try" and wait until you've seen definitive rutting behavior in your particular neck of the woods. The fact that the rut has started in the next county does not mean it's started where you are!

If you're not calling a particular buck that you can already see then make sure when you call that you have a good field of view all around. The buck that arrives may not be the one that you were expecting. I've had two bucks come to the call at the same time, which is logical if you think they are both looking for the doe. This also means try not to make any rapid movements when calling, as the buck that's coming might be behind you. If I can't see the buck I'm going to call then I will stand with my back to a tree and my rifle up on the sticks, so that if it appears anywhere in front of me I will be ready.

Remember what it is you are primarily mimicking - the call of a roe kid. Think about how a roe kid might move and breathe, and try to call accordingly. Don't squeeze the Buttolo like it's an old car horn bulb or a squash ball and emit the "Geschrei" alarm call unless you really mean to!

Also, when you call, don't give up too early. It is all too easy to call and then, 5 minutes later, convince yourself that nothing is coming. Bucks will hear the call from quite some distance, and they can take up to 20 minutes or so to get to you. Other times, of course, they will come charging in as though on a piece of elastic. The key is to give it time. Also, don't walk and call on the Buttolo at the same time - stand still dammit!!

As to weather conditions, I've tried calling in the morning, lunchtime and evening, on bright days and dull days, on warm days and cold days, and on normal days and when it's hot and humid (which is meant to be the best). Sometimes it has worked, sometimes it hasn't. I'm not a deer, so I don't know why.

Calling during the rut is some of the most exciting stalking you can experience and if you time it right, the adrenaline will be pumping - both yours and the buck's.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
when the little head starts thinking for the big head even ugly girls look (sound) good... I got one, looked over the paper that came with it, did what I thought it suggested, and had a buck in about 20 minutes from getting in the seat..... I never used a call before in my life, just tried this one for ***** & giggles..... I called a big turkey right up in the yard once with a squeeky car door hinge......

As a novice, any handy hints or tips from those more experienced?

Many thanks in advance

Roe and Muntjac:
1. It can work any time of day any time of year - not just during the rut, I have called Roe buck in on a freezing windy early April evening.
2. When conditions are ideal (rut season, warm thundery weather) it may not work at all.
3. Some stalkers believe using a call outside the rut season will stress the animals or somehow train them not to respond to the call in the future. It would be interesting to get some views on this, please.

I usually try a few calls when I have had an unsuccessful stalk and just before I decide to pack it in. Sometimes your luck turns.

I agree with Eric, I also find them fantastic for stopping moving deer for a shot rather than the OI ! Which works, but only once.

i have lots of Muntjac on my ground so use a buttalo regularly, I've never had The roe on my ground complain that it should only be used for them, and they still like to respond when they are in season.

Last edited:
Roe and Muntjac:
1. It can work any time of day any time of year - not just during the rut, I have called Roe buck in on a freezing windy early April evening.
2. When conditions are ideal (rut season, warm thundery weather) it may not work at all.
3. Some stalkers believe using a call outside the rut season will stress the animals or somehow train them not to respond to the call in the future. It would be interesting to get some views on this, please.

I usually try a few calls when I have had an unsuccessful stalk and just before I decide to pack it in. Sometimes your luck turns.

Erik

Given that when we use the call we are primarily trying to mimic a roe kid, I can't quite see the point of attempting to call roe when there aren't any kids around?

That said, I do use the call for muntjac all year round, but I can't remember a roe responding. Normally I'd quit calling for muntjac from May since most of the bucks have shed their antlers then anyway, and will just focus on does.

I think the reason for not using the call outside the rut is that if the roe get the idea that, when they hear the call, one of them gets shot then they'll get call-shy. To me it's the same sort of reaction as when we see deer becoming lamp-shy. Darwin at work!

Regarding roebucks responding outside of the rut, was the buck you shot in April a yearling by any chance? I find that, with the youngsters, their curiosity often gets the better of them. I've had this with both does and bucks where, when they've seen either me or the dog, they can't resist coming closer to investigate. In fact just this morning I had a roe doe do exactly this. She could see me standing in the wood with the dog by my side, but she just couldn't stop herself from coming closer, pacing around, and trying to figure out what I was. The difference during the rut is that the old bucks will do much the same. If you search in the "Articles" section you'll find a thread where I was out with 243Varmint a couple of years ago. We had a lovely six-point buck spend the best part of 20 minutes trying to figure out what we were - he barked, he ran a few steps, he barked again, he paced down and back, he looked, he licked his nose, etc, etc. Eventually he walked far enough down that a safe shot could be taken. It was without doubt the most exciting stalk I've ever experienced, and to me summarises everything that is the roe rut.

When you say "I usually try a few calls when I have had an unsuccessful stalk", do you mean just during the rut or all year round? I am guessing the latter, in which case personally I'd resist, but each to their own. If it works for you, good luck.

willie_gunn

I always thought you were trying to imitate a doe?
If a buck came in to the call it was because he thought there was a doe wanting to mate.
If a doe came in to the call it was because she thought there was another doe to chase away.

I always thought you were trying to imitate a doe?
If a buck came in to the call it was because he thought there was a doe wanting to mate.
If a doe came in to the call it was because she thought there was another doe to chase away.

It depends. There are a range of calls, including the doe bleat, doe alarm and kid. You can normally mimic both doe and kid using the call. I have only heard a doe actually making a real noise once, and that was when a doe was trying to find its kid.

willie_gunn

I paid an enormous thirty quids for a Buttolo from McAvoy's last week, tried it out this weekend, on the distress call quietly from within my jacket pocket, had a Doe come runni'n!.:eek::eek::eek:

You might find this recent video of my dad calling in a young muntjac of interest. We both use the buttolo and cherry wood calls, there's no right and wrong way, you just have to keep practicing, sometimes it works perfect and they come straight to you most of the times you get nothing, but it just makes it more of a thrill when it does work!

Thanks for video deer stalker, some great footage and useful to hear how you used the Buttollo. Personally I have yet to experience any success with the call, however, it lives in my stalking jacket pocket and I often consider it's use.:D

I have removed some posts which appeared to be encouraging copying and distribution of copyrighted material. Let me make this clear... this site cannot and does not in any way condone copying and distribution of any material which would breach copyright and if we see it taking place on here the posts (and quite possibly the posters) will be removed.

Thanks for not locking the thread as there is some great info here.

I'm still plugging away with the Nordik Roe open reed call and am some way from mastering.

K

ok I am new to calling as I usually shoot red and fallow, last season I had a few does and bucks come and had a munty doe come this year, but my greatest success is sounding like a buzzard ? am I doing it wrong.

ok I am new to calling as I usually shoot red and fallow, last season I had a few does and bucks come and had a munty doe come this year, but my greatest success is sounding like a buzzard ? am I doing it wrong.

Are you using the Buttolo? If so, check these two videos as you can hear the call really clearly:

(a great video from John at YDS)

Erik

Given that when we use the call we are primarily trying to mimic a roe kid, I can't quite see the point of attempting to call roe when there aren't any kids around?

That said, I do use the call for muntjac all year round, but I can't remember a roe responding. Normally I'd quit calling for muntjac from May since most of the bucks have shed their antlers then anyway, and will just focus on does.

I think the reason for not using the call outside the rut is that if the roe get the idea that, when they hear the call, one of them gets shot then they'll get call-shy. To me it's the same sort of reaction as when we see deer becoming lamp-shy. Darwin at work!

Regarding roebucks responding outside of the rut, was the buck you shot in April a yearling by any chance? I find that, with the youngsters, their curiosity often gets the better of them. I've had this with both does and bucks where, when they've seen either me or the dog, they can't resist coming closer to investigate. In fact just this morning I had a roe doe do exactly this. She could see me standing in the wood with the dog by my side, but she just couldn't stop herself from coming closer, pacing around, and trying to figure out what I was. The difference during the rut is that the old bucks will do much the same. If you search in the "Articles" section you'll find a thread where I was out with 243Varmint a couple of years ago. We had a lovely six-point buck spend the best part of 20 minutes trying to figure out what we were - he barked, he ran a few steps, he barked again, he paced down and back, he looked, he licked his nose, etc, etc. Eventually he walked far enough down that a safe shot could be taken. It was without doubt the most exciting stalk I've ever experienced, and to me summarises everything that is the roe rut.

When you say "I usually try a few calls when I have had an unsuccessful stalk", do you mean just during the rut or all year round? I am guessing the latter, in which case personally I'd resist, but each to their own. If it works for you, good luck.

willie_gunn

In response to your points (thank you!):

I have seen Roe bucks responding to a fawn alarm call at any time of year, including in mid-winter, when there are no fawns about. I think that because most stalkers only use a call during the rut (July-Aug) they record most results during the rut. That doesn't mean it can't be effective at other times of the year. I have attracted good mature bucks with both the fawn call and the buck call and attracted does with both calls as well, at any time of the year. However it only works on occasions, generally it results in nothing showing, including during the rut. However it is fun to try it in my last 10min of day-light if I haven't seen or shot anything yet, or when you are on your land unarmed for jobs or scouting, just to learn what is present.
Whether it 'stessses' the animals or disrupts their natural behavior I can't say...there certainly are plenty of examples of deer being shot within minutes from a cull, or happily grazing next to or near a fresh carcass, so if they get 'shy' of shots...? I don't think so.

Back