NIKKO STERLING MULTI RETICULE ELECTRONIC 1.5-6x24

I have a 3x10 40mm, 30mm tube version that is on my FAC Daystate.

I got many years ago from Litts, special offer at about £150 but they were heavily discounted as they were v expensive at the time.

Opticaly it is fine, slim and quite nice. Mag ring is very tight. Mine has a selection of different reticule types which you turn a dial to select and there is a standard brightness control.

When switched off there is not reticule to be seen.

I have not had any problems at all with mine, just had to replace the battery which is readily available.

As for current S/H cost havent a clue, never seen one for sale. If you give me time might be able to search through old Air Gun World to find out original price.

I wouldn't use it on a C/F but on a .22/.177 HMR it would be v good, esp if you are doing alot of lamping.

If you need any more info PM me.

D

Sika Dog,

Just trawled the net, Airsoft world have new 3x9 x40mm MRE's for £90 which is not a bad price, must be realy old stock though. Mine is the same forgot what the mag range was, don't use it that often.

D

Probably because it's a Nikko Sterling :rolleyes: while at one time they were well made now I am sorry to say quality is poor. I brought a new 4.5-14x50AO Gold Crown and found that the fast focus eyepice was so lose in it's housing it wobbled about. It was sent to John at Highland outdoors who said it's fine and that's normal for a fast focus eye piece :eek: .

Put it on my Brno ZKK 601 in .308 and it shot a double group nearly 3" apart one shot low next high and it repeated it. It was the eye piece floping about under recoil. I worked just about on a rimfire. So I sent for a new 3-9x40 Platinum and that too had the same fault. The dealer just took it back unlike the first one who couldn't give a hoot.

I have about 5 older Nikko Sterlings which are fine including a 4x40 Platinum which has the fast focus eye piece and it's sound however I wouldn't touch a new one now with a barge pole.

Oh almost forgot when I brought my BSA .270 CF2 Stutzen back in 86 in the deal came a new 4-12x40 Silver Crown Nikko Sterling. It last about 70 shots and the whole eye bell came loose under recoil. Luckily I brought it from F.A. Andrson of East grinstead and Jack the owner sent it back under warrenty but it came back just as bad so he swopped it for a Gold crown and I just paid the difference. A little while later I sold a 303 sporter and put it on that as I didn't trust it to hold together on the .270 ;) .

Sadly a brand that was once quite good is now just another shadow of it's former self and they had stuck the prices up :rolleyes:

Sikadog,

I just thought it was an air gun type scope, but logically if it would cope with the recoil of a spring gun then it should cope with a mild C/F.

I think the buid quality of the MRE is good, I think they where last made 10+yrs ago, it was one of the first "mass market" illuminated scopes and at the time were v expensive (? £300).

The adjusters are quite low, and the actual adjuster on mine is not marked R/L which is a bind. Not sure how many turns you have. Adjuster seems OK.

The choice of reticule types is a bit gimmicky, however the actual central aim point is v fine, and I find it excellent for low light/night shooting. No real problem with flare cf some modern illuminated types. I am unsure how it works, but you change the reticule type by rotating the dial on the side of the scope, but it located firmly and positively. Never realy tried to see if it maintains zero when you change between reticules as I tend to use the circle with tiny central dot

The mag adjuster on mine is v stiff, have resorted to putting a rubber band on it to get suitable grip on it. Eye focus adjuster is fine, and never had a problem. If you could get a new (old stock) one from air soft I think you would be impressed.

I brought it because I had a tiny duck flight pond, which was unsafe to shoot with a shot gun so I built a hide on the side and selectively head shot drake mallard with it, in low light I could not see a normal reticule against the dark background, hence the need for illumination. Shot no end of ducks, lovely as lead free.

If you are any where near N Bristol, feel free to pm me and you can have a look through it.

D

Brithunter
The question was about NS MRE scopes not about NS scopes in general have you ever owned an electronic scope and if not why try to tell me what I allready know, but you are wrong NS have just started making scopes in Japan again and they are ok I had one on my 270 for a while no problem.

sikadog said:
Brithunter
The question was about NS MRE scopes not about NS scopes in general have you ever owned an electronic scope and if not why try to tell me what I allready know, but you are wrong NS have just started making scopes in Japan again and they are ok I had one on my 270 for a while no problem.

Oh dear I try to help and stop you getting stung and you get all huffy :rolleyes:

Well carry on and blow to loot and I hope it turns out alright.

But if it don't then don't say you were not warned :!: .

I'll work on the principle of once bitten twice shy ;)

And why would the Nikko Sterling electronic scopes be any better than their normal scopes? Plus as I have already found out the importers will not stand behind their products :mad: I will certainly not deal with anything that they handle.

Brithunter,

The point is I think is that the MRE's were only arround for a short time about a decade ago.I think they were made in Japan, possibly by Hakko, who make absolutely excellent scopes. The MRE was very novel and appeared not to have taken off ( probably as too expensive).

I don't know anybody else who ownes one. I have heard some disparaging comments. Nigal Allen might be the man to ask.

If the truth is known, most of the branded scopes only come out of a couple of factories in Japan/China, and build quality is good, just down to lens quality/coatings.

D

Cyres said:
Brithunter,

The point is I think is that the MRE's were only arround for a short time about a decade ago.I think they were made in Japan, possibly by Hakko, who make absolutely excellent scopes. The MRE was very novel and appeared not to have taken off ( probably as too expensive).

I don't know anybody else who ownes one. I have heard some disparaging comments. Nigal Allen might be the man to ask.

If the truth is known, most of the branded scopes only come out of a couple of factories in Japan/China, and build quality is good, just down to lens quality/coatings.

D

May I suggest you check your information as there are at least two big factories in the Phillipines that make scopes. One has an excellent reputation the others is more spotty. Were you aware that the Nikon scopes were made in the Phillippines although it seems that now production might have moved to China. There are also a lot of Optical and scope making factories in Indonesia and a few in Korea. It alos appears that Leupolds now do not contain enough American made parts to be allowed to be marked Made in the USA like they used to be.

Back