Best time to knock a door?

scubadog

Okay so I am starting to hatch a master plan to find some stalking of my own..... seems pretty daunting!

I have a list of farms I intend to visit.
After my half hearted first attempt I have planed a bit of a route to avoid aimlessly driving round the countryside.

So my question to those who have been down this path before:
What would you suggest is the best time of day to approach a farmer/landowner?

I have never had any luck visiting farmers/land owners as if they are not busy working they are trying to get a meal in peace so I hope you have better luck than me.
what I would say is don't let it put you off if you have no luck, more than anything it seems you need to get yourself know and to get a good name in the stalking world, only recently I have been asked If I would be interested in joining a syndicate and also looking good on getting another bit of ground which they asked me if I would be interested in looking after it. Good luck and all the best

ive found mid morning has always been good. ive found that going in the evening was unsucessfull.... not sure if that was down to them being tired after a busy day

I also think if you just happen to ask when they are having trouble with deer you're on a winner but same again I never had that happen neither.

Probably if you're up for a sex change as for the life of me I can't see a girl stalker going short of it should be up for banging on a few doors.

Got to beat even the most cunning strategy and god knows I'm guilty of one or two.

K

Who said that wasnt my cunning strategy?
Lipstick, heels and well whatever junk I can raid from the Mrs cupboard....hmmmm

Probably if you're up for a sex change as for the life of me I can't see a girl stalker going short of it should be up for banging on a few doors.

Got to beat even the most cunning strategy and god knows I'm guilty of one or two.

K

If it's her back doors you talking about knocking, I find it best after plying her with plenty of alcohol

Yeah I'll have to agree never at lambing or calving time! Even the contract lambers can be bad to talk to at that time of year :oops:
Late morning is usually the best time

stacey

Lambing time is a good time for me but when you go forget the deer, ask for some fox and crow control to get a foot in the door.
Once they have your trust you may be invited to manage the deer as well. All farmers are on their guard when strangers come calling so you will probably get more refusals than cups of tea and permission.

My last job was visiting farms around the country doing mobile milling and even after many visits to these farms the majority would still say let me get to know you first.

Another useful time to visit is when crops are being hammered by crows etc, no farmer likes to lose money from their crops being eaten by crows etc and lastly just ask if you can do some ratting or pest control for free.

Start off at the bottom and make yourself useful volunteering your help at harvest time and don't be pushy. Leave them your contact details and any other farmers names you help out and wait for the phone call.

I have to totally agree with Elmer Fudd on this i have never went straight in for the kil looking for stalking deer right away, i have always stated that i am willing to help take of the foxes, rabbits etc first then when they get used to me being there and doing my bit i then ask if they have any problems with the deer on the land and have successfully obtained several areas of which to stalk.I was out several weeks ago and a farmer mentioned about this time of year and lambing season and i offered to sit out that night and this offer was taken up and i took care of 2 on the first night and the farmer asked me the next night if i would like to shoot over his land on a permanent basis, needless to say i jumped at the chance and i now have permission on several farms close to one another and next to my stalking permission as well. You just need to keep asking and the more people that see you out and about the better, farmers will talk and if you do a good turn for them then hopefully you will get a good return as well.
Lambing time is a good time for me but when you go forget the deer, ask for some fox and crow control to get a foot in the door.
Once they have your trust you may be invited to manage the deer as well. All farmers are on their guard when strangers come calling so you will probably get more refusals than cups of tea and permission.

My last job was visiting farms around the country doing mobile milling and even after many visits to these farms the majority would still say let me get to know you first.

Another useful time to visit is when crops are being hammered by crows etc, no farmer likes to lose money from their crops being eaten by crows etc and lastly just ask if you can do some ratting or pest control for free.

Start off at the bottom and make yourself useful volunteering your help at harvest time and don't be pushy. Leave them your contact details and any other farmers names you help out and wait for the phone call.

Drive past the farm first and if it looks very busy probably best to go back another day especially if you see silage trailers on the move in the next few months.

Gotta reflect what has been said so far about building up trust and a good reputation. I called in on my main shooting ground on the off chance of some rabbit shooting and it's taken 2 1/2 years to get the stalking. Between me and my mate we've averaged around 3-4 visits a week over that time so put plenty of hours in day and night!!

What I can vouch for is if you do a good job for long enough, doors just seem to open as word of mouth spreads. It also helps if you a not a bell end!! :D :rofl:

Stratts

Buy a ticket to the farmers ball and cop off with a farmers daughter :D

Buy a ticket to the farmers ball and cop off with a farmers daughter :D

Well, it's a risky strategy, but it will bring you to his attention. However, unless you literally have balls of titanium, as a general rule, if
A.) He walks in on you in bed with said daughter or
B.) you visit for a meal and find the farmer sharpening a large meat cleaver whilst cradling his shotgun
that is NOT the time to ask for permission on his land!

Well, it's a risky strategy, but it will bring you to his attention. However, unless you literally have balls of titanium, as a general rule, if
A.) He walks in on you in bed with said daughter or
B.) you visit for a meal and find the farmer sharpening a large meat cleaver whilst cradling his shotgun
that is NOT the time to ask for permission on his land!

Marry her... then the farm's as good as yours anyway

Agree start small and work up, once you get a toe hold its much easier esp if you have got permission on other farms in the locality. Easier to start with pest control and foxs then try for the deer once you have a feel for the place.

For a couple of years we always seen a fox in a particular field but not ours, so i plucked up courage to ask the nearest farmer, it was lambing time, I think it took about 30 secs to establish his views and they were having huge issues foxs taking lambs in the shed, he was more than happy for us to shoot them, after couple of weeks he said we better shoot on all his other ground so one 10 acre field is now several hundred.

It does help to get the names of the farmer you are likely to approach and some idea about their likely response to your enquiry, if you start off getting 1:10 then your on your way.

D

Back