Section 1 and section 2 shotgun advice please

tuck1

I wonder if anyone here could clear up some confusion for me please, I've tried the search function but cannot really find the answer I'm looking for.

I have 3 shot capacity Benelli M2 on my shotgun certificate. I possess a FAC. I have capacity on my FAC to acquire a section 1 shotgun. I would like, if possible, to obtain a longer magazine tube and use it, within the conditions of my FAC, but have the option to use the shorter 2 shot mag for clays, game and wildfowl. Is this feasible, or does the law not allow for one weapon to be categorised in different ways? It would save me buying an identical gun just because it has a longer magazine tube, and cut down the number of weapons I own.

Many thanks

I wonder if anyone here could clear up some confusion for me please, I've tried the search function but cannot really find the answer I'm looking for.

I have 3 shot capacity Benelli M2 on my shotgun certificate. I possess a FAC. I have capacity on my FAC to acquire a section 1 shotgun. I would like, if possible, to obtain a longer magazine tube and use it, within the conditions of my FAC, but have the option to use the shorter 2 shot mag for clays, game and wildfowl. Is this feasible, or does the law not allow for one weapon to be categorised in different ways? It would save me buying an identical gun just because it has a longer magazine tube, and cut down the number of weapons I own.

Many thanks

I think that all you have to do is put it on S1, clarify with your feo first.

atb Tim

My understanding is that they would have to be two separate guns! Even if a gun has the ability to be restricted back down to the legal 2 shot (and one in the chamber) capacity, it is still capable of holding more and as such will always be a section 1 firearm. May look like a normal shotgun but held on your fac so cannot be used for other stuff.

There is no case law on making a section one technically a normal shotgun temporarily, and then using it on wildfowl etc and most conditions would name what you can use it for on your FAC, mine says pests/vermin and zeroing/clays but again being section 1 would not be allowed on most clay grounds, even if my restricted magazine was put on.

I think that all you have to do is put it on S1, clarify with your feo first.

atb Tim

I don't think it is as simple as that. To make a section 1 shotgun become a normal shotgun, you need to have it permanently crimped, and done I believe by a proof house (although may be wrong and it may be able to be done by an RFD) but it does require permanence to the crimp. To have it on two certificates would make it neither one nor the other.......

I did this with my Hatsan. Just put it on my FAC as a 7+1. Was informed by my FEO that reducing the capacity from there would not require a variation to my firearms certificate unless I wished to use it for a different purpose.

no reason to take it off the S1 FAC just because you want to use a shorter mag
it is a S1 firearm if it have the capability of the extended mag
still an S1 firearm if you swap the mag over

in practice however I can see the longer mag staying on!

Thank you gents. My problem is that I do still want to be able to use it "normally" on game etc, but from what you are saying it doesn't sound like the situation I describe is really allowed. Be where as you say, the longer mag will get the most use I'm sure! Maybe I'd better just bite the bullet and look for a cheap FAC gun. Bugger. Trouble is I'm one of God's naturally gifted, talented and special people (left handed) so that complicates things.

I don't understand. The moment you acquire the magazine extension your shotgun becomes a Section 1 firearm as far as the Firearms Act is concerned. You are not allowed to shoot game with a Section 1 SG; only pigeons and vermin. Now the gun will not be a S2 firearm on your certificate if you change the magazine but for purpose of pursuing game, once you have changed the mag, you are not breaking the law and should be ok to use the gun on fowl and game. Talk to you firearms licensing, they should be able to condtion your certificate accordingly.

I was under the impression that once it's a s1 it's not a simple as just changing the mag back to a section 2, so I'm told by my gun Smith any way, might be wrong though

Atb
Simon

No reason why an S1 shotgun could not have a certificate condition to restrict the mag size to enable game shooting is there?

Taken from BASC factsheet found here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbasc.org.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fplugins%2Fdownload-monitor%2Fdownload.php%3Fid%3D52&ei=K0trU_jSIYmnO_OvgZAG&usg=AFQjCNGXnfgtr-xCfzUBQPiw0nyCvD31aQ&bvm=bv.66330100,d.ZWU

Modifying a firearm so that it cannot hold more than two rounds in a magazine so
that game and waterfowl can be shot

The interpretation in the WCA and WO of whether a magazine of a firearm is "incapable of
holding more than two rounds" has never been tested. We know that permanent reductions
in magazine capacity are accepted if waterfowl or game are the chosen quarry. Whether
temporary restrictors for magazine capacity (magazine plugs or 2 round detachable
magazines) is legal is not clear as a court has not been asked to clarify this matter.
Therefore a permanent magazine restriction is recommended.

So I guess if you want to make case law, give it a go! Please do report back.....

Last edited:
Thank you for all your input gentlemen. It appears that the issue may be as complex as I first thought. Looks like finding a cheap S1 will be the way forward, better make some room in the cabinet!

Back