Poult prices

Munty_Hunter

Just interested to hear what people are being quoted for poults this time.
What price have you agreed?
Is it lower or high than last year?

I've decided to hold out for a last minute deal and are interested to hear peoples thoughts.

They will be round about the £4 mark for pheasants and slightly higher for partridge.

Changed supply this year for no reason other than fancy a change after 12 seasons with the same guy around £4 delivered for The first week in aug .partridge a bit later slightly more expensive .
Norma

I get my poults for £3.70 each delivered and help with the crates into the pens

stacey

Is that from a local supplier??? our syndicate are looking at prices for the coming season..
I get them from an estate near sea houses, he only rears enough for his shoot and enough to sell so his wife can go away on holiday. How many do you usually get and I can ask for you?
I'm thinking about rearing my own from day olds next season ;)

Stacey

Is that similar to last year for you or have they gone up?

£4 last year and hopefully will be £3.80 this year. Not all poults are the same. Good quality poults that have been properly reared, medicated when necessary, harden off properly cost money. I have bought poults from the same breeder for years. Maybe not the cheapest but every poult is in excellent condition. When you start losing poults through bad rearing the cheap price quickly fades away.

I think we're about 3.65 again, must admit forgot to ask :doh: but wouldn't get birds anywhere else, always top class, well feathered and local and his price is always fair, not cheapest but not dearest.

While it is ur pregotive to wait on and try and get a last minute deal, i personally never think it is very fair on the game farmers a lot of there costs are all up front, only fair on them to order early and pay when they ask for it. Not an easy job, i certainly would not like to do it commercially anyway

Dunno ur size/type of ur shoot but how would u feel if all the guns/syndicate members/let days never commited to the shoot till last minute incase they could get a better deal elsewhere?

I have reared for other people and for myself in the past. I can understand what you're saying but business is business if I can save a couple of thousand quid then I will. Admittedly it could be a gamble but there are a lot of eggs around this yearand fertility is high from what I'm told so i think there should be a lot of surplus birds about. I know it's a gamble but I think it's a worthwhile one!

£3.40 to £3.80, seems average spread

I have seen some at £3.20 but they must be cutting corners
I prefer to order from
a known source, outdoor grass reared, properly treated and well feathered.

Theres always late bargains, cancelled orders etc
if you want to gamble and shoot later in the season

A keeper i help gets his birds from bettws hall, always quality birds from such a big setup. Althou he said u can choose a 'grade' of poult for different prices, he always takes the top grade and birds always look well.

Think (if my memories right) something like 6 million eggs and 5 mill poults each year. No wonder many small game farms are feeling the pinch.

Yes it's heart breaking, I reared birds last year and as I say had everything sold. but I worked out that I could have bought poults in and sold them on making more money with none of the work!
They are a huge operation taking the economy of scale to the extreme.

They have only been going quite a short time really to get to that sort of size. That keeper has been down a few times to look over the facilites and say's it is an amazing set up.

There is another keeper i know who sold him his original incubator a wee 100 or 200 egg one which is wot he started of from, and i can mind when he was on the estate, so only 20-25ish years ago

Reckon if ur a full time keeper need to be rearing about 15k to make it worth while and if doing it commercially for profit probably double that.

BUT as u will know worth paying for quality birds of the smaller game farmers

I am paying £3.50 for pheasant poults this year and £4 for 16 week partridges this year,think my pheasants are up 5p a poult and no change to partridges.

Back