270 Winchester - what's your favourite load?

paultap

Hi guys
I have just started reloading for a tikka t3 in 270 cal. I would welcome any recommendations that could be given for your favourite hunting reloads in this calibre.

Many thanks

130 gr BTSP and reloader 19 same load since I bought the rifle in 1989 don't know how fast its going ,never had anything outrun it though:lol:

I reload for two Mark X mausers in .270...we use both 130 and 140gr bullets...

130gr. Hornady interlock, Winchester case, Rem LR primer, 52.5gr IMR4350, Velocity is very close to 3000fps.

140gr. Hornady interlock, and SST's, Remington case, Rem LR primer, 54.5 gr IMR 4831, Velocity is 2950fps

Neither load is maximum in my rifles, both loads are very accurate as well in the Mark X 24" barrel... My wife killed a black bear and a big cow elk this past hunting season with the 140gr load each with one shot. The bear ran 25yds and piled up, the elk never took another step...it fell over at 296 yds...

Zee

Norma brass
CCI200
N160 - 56gr
130gr Hornady Interlock

no longer play with any other bullet. 130s do everything and more that a lighter/heavier combo does

I don't have a 270, but I think that O'Connors load with a 130 grain Nosler Partition is hard to improve. Certainly for British conditions, where the game is not over heavy. Flat shooting, high penetration and reasonable meat loss. The moment I get a 270, this would be my starting point.

Mine is 150 gr Hornady interlock,Remington 9.5 lr primers, 53.7 gr H 4831 sc shot from a 24" barreled PH. Don't have chrono readings but is the most accurate load from my rig.

A 150 grain Sierra GK over IMR 4350. My Howa would punch nearly single hole groups using it. My old M-70 would shoot 1/2 inch.~Muir

What powder can you get locally in good supply? start with that. My normal load is a 130gn bullet, Federal Mag primer, 58gn Re22. As re22 is getting tricky to find, I am experimenting with Elcho 17. Over the years, I have used Gamekings, Prohunters, Interlocks, and Interbonds. All work fine.
The best advice I can give you is, Keep a detailed diary of any load development that you do. Because I kept all the records from when I was working up loads, I had several usable loads that I new were safe and accurate in my rifle. When I couldn't get gamekings, I swapped to Interlocks but already new what load I needed. .270 seems to be very forgiving. If you can get a copy of the article Jack o'connor wrote about .270 load development in Pet loads some years ago, it is a great read.
Don't get too caught up on components, the majority will work fine, don't try and be to clever and stay within the recommended loads in your data. Have fun

Ezzy

Many thanks guys, the replies to this thread so far will give me some valuable load data to go on with. I have today just received the "one book one calibre" reloading manual specifically for the 270 Winchester from Norman Clark gunsmiths ,but there is nothing like feedback of proven load data.

Hornady Interlock 130 grain
54.5 grains of N160
15 thou off the lands
I crimp mine very lightly

Although your rifle may shoot totally different, mine is also a Tikka T3

Currently using 150 grn Speer Grand Slam with 55 grns of H4831. Mag primer with a crimp 82mm c.o.l. This is very accurate in my Parker Hale.
I will be using this in 3 weeks time in Africa:D.
Tusker

My rifle has preferences in bullets, 130 grain Nosler Partitions, or at a push Barnes mono's 130 grain, but powders not fussy at all, H4831 59.5gns / Vit N160 53.3gns / Ramshot Magnum 60gns ...:eek:

Back