Thread: New high seat design in a fallow hotspot

Established Poster Muddy Springer's Avatar
    St Vincent and the Grenadines

New high seat design in a fallow hotspot

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	516 
Size:	447.1 KB 
ID:	41840Spent a few hours knocking up a high seat for a 100acres of mixed forestry that's jam packed with fallow. Should work quite well, easy to get to ( have marked the tree trunks on the way to it with great big white paint arrows), easy climb ladder, secure and comfy seat, camouflaged, great backstop, and best of all only cost the price of 4 coach bolts, rest of the bits were lying round the farmyard.

Yea I can really see that design catching on. Why hadn't anyone thought of it before.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I've seen it all now.
    A rope ladder? Plus it's all bolted to two presumably living trees.

if someone bolted anything to one of my trees that would be the last thing they'd do.

I thought the Flintstones were only a Cartoon on the TV.

I've used similar in the past and presently have a stable platform between 4 trees to shoot prone from an elevated position over water in order to increase the angle of shot & decrease risk of ricochet.
    Only thing to be aware of is movement of the trees in the wind as they will all move in dependant of each other breaking any fixed structure between them. I learned the hard way.
    Yours looks ok as it is quite low and the trees are thick, the higher you go & thinner the trees the bigger the problem. I've overcome this by fixing attachments to the individual trees that support a loose non fixed structure kept in place using rope which allows the trees to move without straining the structure between them

Securing high seats to trees actually raises a valid point. Few of us would even consider nailing or screwing into a living tree but how many actually check any securing straps/chains or cords occasionally and do you ever release the tension slightly so as not to damage the tree. Last year I had to cut some chains that had been used to secure a high seat to a tree by the previous stalker many moons ago. The chains had become deeply embedded in the growing timber.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Point taken re fixing to living trees and didn't think anyone nailed, screwed or bolted anything to a living tree but re reading can see that my post could be misunderstood
    The attachments I "fix" to the individual trees are 2 pieces of 3"x2" timber one either side of the tree, drilled and a threaded bar passed between them (either side of the tree) this is then tightened trapping the tree and providing a stable fixing. The threaded bar can be released gradually as the tree grows.

Wot u could do is cut a couple of rails (say 3x1 or similar) and steeple/attch them to ur securing chain/rope/wire at a few points round the tree stem, so as the tree grows the pressure will be on these wider rails rather than on the narrow chain so should not grow into the tree the same. Althou over a long period of time (depending on tree age/type) u may have to slacken wires as they get tighter as tree grows.

But i would advise not bolting ataching timber to tree as Nick said above, most foreters would kick u off for doing that.

The reason ur there is to protect the crop from damage and u have put dirty great bolts into the most valueable part of the tree, thats probably the botom 4m of tree ruined, plus the harvester company will come in with machines worth 1/4+ million quid even the harvesting heads alone are worth 80+K and would not take kindly to coach bolts in a tree.

The thread should read how not to build high seats. How to kill healthy trees with 2 no. threaded bars!

SW Birmingham (Rubery Rednal)
    There's a fallen tree on one of my patches that was clearly brought down by being used as a fence post.

The barbed wire cut in so deeply as the tree grew that the trunk was ultimately too compromised to support its top-hamper, and down it came.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay