How many people use home loads other people have loaded?

gixer1

As above, many people say "never use someone else's home loads" which I understand and see the point of but if you witness the loads being made would you still have issue with this?

i enjoy basic reloading (just a lee loader, basic electronic scales etc) and only even load relatively sedate loads (e.g.- 36gr of varget pushing 85 grain btsp's for 243 and 46.3 gr varget pushing 170 SP's for my 30/06.

the reason I mention all this is I am soon to be moving and need to get rid of some of the loading components as I can't take them with me so was thinking of offering and sd member or someone local to come round and I'll load up 20 or so rounds for them to try for free, the only stipulation is that I load them, they are more than welcome to have a go too if they would like.

this may help someone new to shooting or reloading but I didn't want people automatically put off by the "never use others reloads" thing.

So what are your thoughts on this? seems like it can be difficult to offer help nowadays!

regards,
Gixer

Last edited:
On my dsc level 1, Chris Howard told us 'politely refuse' was the answer to that question then went on to say how he disagrees with it and that he reloads for three different people!

Is an experienced reloader loading for someone more dangerous than a complete novice making some up un-supervised?
I think it's more of a 'don't take sweets from strangers' type thing as you don't know what's in it!

Sounds like a great offer :)

As above, many people say "never use someone else's home loads" which I understand and see the point of but if you witness the loads being made would you still have issue with this?

i enjoy basic reloading (just a lee loader, basic electronic scales etc) and only even load relatively sedate loads (e.g.- 36gr of varget pushing 85 grain btsp's for 243 and 46.3 gr varget pushing 170 SP's for my 30/06.

the reason I mention all this is I am soon to be moving and need to get rid of some of the loading components as I can't take them with me so was thinking of offering and sd member or someone local to come round and I'll load up 20 or so rounds for them to try for free, the only stipulation is that I load them, they are more than welcome to have a go too if they would like.

this may help someone new to shooting or reloading but I didn't want people automatically put off by the "never use others reloads" thing.

So what are your thoughts on this? seems like it can be difficult to offer help nowadays!

regards,
Gixer

Notwithstanding the point that another person might be an idiot when it comes to reloading with all the problems that carries, I think the point they are trying to make in this statement, although not very well, is not to use ammunition that has been hand loaded for another rifle (in which it might be perfectly safe) as it might very well not be in your own rifle.

Notwithstanding the point that another person might be an idiot when it comes to reloading with all the problems that carries, I think the point they are trying to make in this statement, although not very well, is not to use ammunition that has been hand loaded for another rifle (in which it might be perfectly safe) as it might very well not be in your own rifle.

I was was more thinking of standard load data as apposed to tuned loads for high performance competition type rifles. But I see your point.

Regards,
gixer

I bought a rifle that came with 200+ reloads
The chap is an experienced stalker/reloader. I accepted all the ammo with the sale.

Despite this as a matter of course I weighed each and every round (whole)
The case/bullet/charge weights were all within a couple of grains (acceptable variance is just case weight alone)

I pulled a couple of them and checked the powder, visual match on the 4831 I already had (not ideal but a totally different powder colour/shape would have rung alarm bells)

All the ammo shot very well and I am still working my way through the Lapua Mega loads (cringe every time I pull the trigger as I see pound notes flying out the muzzle!)

Comes down to whether the person loading is also using and you get a feel for whether you think they are producing ammo that you are willing to trust
If you don't it doesn't take a great deal of effort to pull them all, consolidate powder and reload them yourself!

I think this is a good idea, but the thread's moved off target as it often does. :lol:

Obviously reloads offered with a rifle are a sales inducement, but unless the buyer checks every one out then he's guessing. That's a whole lot of work to scrounge and salvage components.

Legally the only reloading allowed is your own production, or what your buyer turns out himself under your supervision. Otherwise you're manufacturing unlicensed ammunition, and trading in it.

I've got a lot of kit, and could turn out ammo in all the standard calibres... about 20-30 calibres quite easily. I wouldn't contemplate this, or use anything of unknown origin myself. I've shown quite a few acquaintances how to produce a box of ammo in a loading session here, but always with the proviso that they do all the work while I watch & give a few tips along the way. That way my FAC is safe, and my fingerprints aren't on the cases.

Why not just sell what disassembled components you haven't used when it's tie to move?
treat teaching others how to reload as a separate thing 8)
e.g short on varget for my 6br and .3006 cases seem to sell ok

I know what you mean but..... you do it everyday when you shoot factory ammo!
ask anyone with an HMR whether they trust factory ammo any more or less!

Don't get silly on me now.
Manufacturers have standards, test equipment, and insurance. Something goes amiss with factory ammo and you have a recourse. With someone's handloads? You're on your own. Besides, shooting someone elses' handloads is like wearing someone elses' underwear. You just never know what's in it.

HMR: You were on your own when you bought the thing!~Muir

+1

I reload for others and one has reloaded for me , and all factory is loaded by someone i don't know ? as LRR states if i know them i do't have a problem, but i would't just take in any reloads from a shop be'it a hand in or someone i don't know their standards.

It all depends on the reloader and wether you trust them.

I have accepted home loads of someone I trust. Seeing as he taught me most of what I know about reloading and I started off using his equipment and it was doen to the load we developed for my rifle it didn't worry me.

I admit, I reload for my children occasionally, but I am dammed certain of the quality. While doing so, by the way, I tell my kids that they should never shoot anyone elses' handloads.... not even mine. They just roll their eyes because I've been loading for them all their lives. That will change soon.~Muir

I admit I broke the golden rule once and tried a few of my mate's .44 mag loads in one of my underlevers.... my reasoning at the time was that I knew all we were using were extremely light target loads (as in well below minimum book loads which is common in pistol calibre carbine comps)....

Anyway... second or third round and *phut*... out came a very sooty case!

Fortunately this was just mucking around and not in the middle of a speed shoot and I recognised the signs and yes, sure enough, bullet stuck a few inches up the barrel! He'd forgotten the powder! :doh:

So far as I know it's the only time he's ever done that and lucky old me ended up with that round! Anyway... lesson learned... only my own loads from then on!

Alex

Don't get silly on me now.
Manufacturers have standards, test equipment, and insurance. Something goes amiss with factory ammo and you have a recourse. With someone's handloads? You're on your own. Besides, shooting someone elses' handloads is like wearing someone elses' underwear. You just never know what's in it.

HMR: You were on your own when you bought the thing!~Muir

so we'll just forget about your first post them as this quite clearly shows it's not that hard and fast a rule! Lol...

i can can understand not shooting someone's reloads if they have handed you a ready loaded round but going and seeing it loaded shouldn't be an issue. Sometimes it would appear almost paranoid.

after all there are people who make a good living out of developing loads for people.

and I have no need to sell the components, if I don't load for anyone I will give it to a friend or my local rfd to store until I return.

regards,
gixer

I load for 7 of my mates from 223 to 308 and have been for years I can assure you if my loads let them down I would need to move house.:doh:

Are there two answers to this question?
If someone at the range offered me a few cartridges that he's loaded for his rifle to try, I would decline them whether I knew him to be a competent reloader or not.
If a competent reloader worked up a load for my rifle, it would maybe not be so rash to use cartridges he's made. My father, for example, uses cartridges I've loaded for his rifle.

Back