Labrador with tumors

Stacey

Well as the title says my old lab has a few tumours on her I got her operated on in early march to have the worst ones removed with the intention of getting the rest removed this month (she's not insured)

I knew she wouldn't see the end of this year but in the last week she has really deteriorated the vet gave her antibiotics and the lumps have spread from between her front legs all the way to her back legs, there are 4 spots on her which have blistered and opened into sores, I cleaned them and looked earlier and she has another sore which has opened and is an inch long.

She was up all night with a temperature and having to pee every 30 mins, she is my dad's old lab and she has been a great dog finding my first roe all the way to my first sika, first pheasant etc..

She is 12 years old and is now in a lot of pain so in an hour I've to take her to the vets to get put down, I feel bad about it but I know it's for the best as she is suffering and won't even eat her dinner.

I just feel really bad about it, I find it almost impossible to cry so everyone is thinking that I'm heartless. I've had dogs put down before but I'm just not sure what to say as they are all upset.

I'm not really sure if there is a question in there? You are clearly upset.

It does sound like putting the dog to sleep may be the kindest option if the condition is so advanced. It's important to do the right thing for the dog. I'd say you can console yourself you are making the right decision.

Hi Stacey
really sorry to hear about your dog it's always tough but as you said it's for the best if she's suffering
I never shed a tear for a week when I put my old terrier down despite being upset then one day I was out for a walk near some rabbit warrens and gave a whistle ( he always used to loiter behind marking holes ) that's when it really hit me and I burst into tears ,
atb jim

Thanks for your words of support, everyone thinks I'm heartless as I can't seem to cry but I get quite grumpy instead (I feel really uncomfortable if someone is crying)
i know it's for the best and yesterday I thought it was the time so I bought a few stalking things for my dad to cheer him up a bit. She is starting to go into kidney failure so it's time for her.
the worst part was that I had to go and dig the grave for her earlier I'm burying her were she found her first deer and 100 yards from her last deer, so hopefully that will be ok.

stacey

do the right thing for your friend
grief has its own natural stages and will run its course...

It's not just the right thing to do Stacey, it's now the only thing left to do......... For the dog. You and your dad have done everything else for the dog throughout her life, as it as she has done when asked for you. Heartbreaking as it is for some its the last act of kindness. As for showing emotion, we are all different. When I've out the dogs down myself I'm a blubbering wreck, then I have to dig the grave. All mine are buried within a few feet if each other next to a duck pond. We all deal with it in different ways and realistically where they are buried matters not to them, but it helps us.

You taking her to Greenside Practice? The partners have changed a wee but there since I first went but they are all decent folk who have a real compassion for what owners go through.

That was a disaster, we went down to the vets in the pickup and the vets came out so she wouldn't get stressed, three times it took the vet to get the needle into a vein, by that point Ash was a nervous wreck lying shaking etc..
I had to hold her to keep her still so the vet could finally find a vein so she passed away cuddling into me.

stacey

That was a disaster, we went down to the vets in the pickup and the vets came out so she wouldn't get stressed, three times it took the vet to get the needle into a vein, by that point Ash was a nervous wreck lying shaking etc..
I had to hold her to keep her still so the vet could finally find a vein so she passed away cuddling into me.

stacey

Sorry to hear that Stacey, but if its any consultation I've had dogs that were like Bambi on ice trying to get out the surgery and they were just there for a relatively minor issue to be checked, and others that lay there lapping up the extra attention. Don't be hard on yourself for it, the dog was sick and that in itself could effect her temperament. It's done, and she's no longer suffering. That's what's important.

I have a 13 year old lab and I no that I will be in your shoes soon, the only thing i would say is go and get a new pup this will take your mind off your loss
Terrier1

Well I'm hoping that my young lab is in pup or I would be out buying another, I'll find out in 2/3 weeks if she is in pup or not, fingers crossed she is.
It feels strange though all the other dogs are looking for her.

stacey

Stacey.......
You did the right thing mannie....

The Last Battle

If it should be that I grow frail and weak
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then will you do what must be done,
For this -- the last battle -- can't be won.
You will be sad I understand,
But don't let grief then stay your hand,
For on this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship must stand the test.
We have had so many happy years,
You wouldn't want me to suffer so.
When the time comes, please, let me go.
Take me to where to my needs they'll tend,
Only, stay with me till the end
And hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.
I know in time you will agree
It is a kindness you do to me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I have been saved.
Don't grieve that it must be you
Who has to decide this thing to do;
We've been so close -- we two -- these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.

Its the last thing you can do for an aul pal.....

Thanks, it felt strange this morning taking the other dogs out cause they were all looking for her.
where we buried her there were 2 does about 15ft away grazing last night so I think I chose the right spot

stacey

Yeah it is even the BMH pup is looking for her, think I must have a reserved space at the vets as the pup I got from you Davie got 2/3 of her tail amputated so I've been having to take her to the vets every 4-5 days.

stacey

Stacy your dog don't need a tail and may even benefit from less. Hope your Lab bitch is in pup that will keep your mind on everything.

Yeah it will do her the world of good getting its tail amputated, hopefully Friday is her final visit to the vets as it's driving her nuts not being able to go stalking or being allowed to run off the lead.
Thanks Davie I hope she is in pup too, she tied twice and it was a proven stud dog so hopefully it's worked.

stacey

Back