Basic Tracking Training/Tests

Rob3104

We rescued a Long Haired Hungarian Vizsla in Oct 2012 from Hungary. She was approx 6-8 months at the time, she was in a 'kill shelter' but we have no reason to believe she had been miss-treated. I have been going some general gun dog training with her but unfortunately she’s a gun shy. Tried introducing her gentle at clay ground to shotgun but unfortunately it’s not really working. It could be something that happen to her before we got her.

Anyway, she’s got a cracking little nose on her and lots of drive so I thought I might try and do some tracking training. I know there is still exposure to gunshot, but less so and it’s probably easier to manage.

Any thoughts on what I could as some initial training/tests and to get a sense of whether or not she might have a nose for it or not?

Depends where you are based.BMH do tests either forest of Dean or in Cannock. Tony Lowry (cookingfat) is starting/started? in Hampshire

Hi Rob , is this really a Long Haired Hungarian Vizsla or is it a wirehaired vizsla , would love to see pictures if it is a Long Haired Hungarian Vizsla
if you fill in your location someone may be nearby to help you with your gun shyness

hi Rob , really nice thing you have done there , would also like to see a few pics , if she is a steady type of dog why not try going with some falconers , if she can hold a point and sit to flush it would be a nice way of working her and no gun shots !

Here are a couple of pictures of her. She's definitely a long hair not a wire hair. it's a genetic thing. the odd one can pop out now and again from either smooth or wirehairs. it's not a breed standard of course but she's a little eye catcher. it's likely due to a recessive setter gene being present in the breed.

Attachments

• 529176_476529839085588_1619741942_n.jpg
    529176_476529839085588_1619741942_n.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 580255_492219214183317_1372558964_n.jpg
    580255_492219214183317_1372558964_n.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 46
Did you already have connections with Hungary or was it fairly simple to rescue a dog from that far away?.

Are u sure ur dog is gun shy? Gun nervousness can usually be overcome with the right training if u know wot ur doing. If it is geniunely gun shy then u will have problems

I never think the clay ground idea is a very good way of introducing dogs to gunshot (but plenty of folk do it) dunno where ur based but possibly get ur dog looked at first by an experienced trainer (unless ur already an experineced trainer, in which case ignore everything i've said ;)) u really need to associate the gunfire with a really positive fun thing (walking or sitting bored near clay ground doesn't seem fun enough for me)
Is she a mad keen retriever?

I've been on the UKDTR website before but I'm just looking for some basic training hints. I would be happy to commit to a formal course if she looks to have some instinct for it.

Nun hunter - it's a simple process and there are lots of vizsla that need rescuing. both smooth and wirehair of all ages. some just need rehoming other come with complete horror stories of mistreatment. the charity help match you with the right dog for you and there is a great support network. my mrs in involved wit the charity if you want to learn more.

countryboy - I have not given up hope yet with the gun shy issue. I've tried a few different approaches and will continue but just I might explore another way of working her.

Thanks for the pictures , she is a great looking dog , I have always believed that they are a variant of the smooth vizsla , the wires do have a wide variety of coat though .

I've been on the UKDTR website before but I'm just looking for some basic training hints. I would be happy to commit to a formal course if she looks to have some instinct for it.

we we have a training day in Warwickshire on the 29th of June
may prove worthwhile booking on to for you both
that way you should gain a better idea on how to go forward with training
even with the gunshot issue
you can either Pm me for further details or check the UKDTR contacts page for other contact details for myself or Tony
best wishes
Richard

Back