Burglar alarms

liongeorge

I am thinking of getting a burglar alarm, burglaries in the village seem to have gone up and along with my rifles I have other irreplaceable items in the house. My work mate says don't bother they are a ball ache just get a dummy box on the outside will do just as much good.
How much of a pain are they , I don't want to annoy the neighbours with false alarms etc. Also I don't want to spend a fortune so will not go for the linked back to a base service.
Any opinions/experiences much appreciated

George

Last edited:
Mate has had one fitted on advice from firearms dept as he has a small armoury a lot of money for a lot of hassle to start with he spent a lot of time going home to reset it and the neighbours tempers were getting frayed ,he got it sorted in the end but ended up just defending his gun room (pets were the problem ) setting the alarm off even with pet friendly sensors .

You can get some DIY fits that seem very easy and call a selection of number ie your mobile phone etc. I've used one in the house awhile ago and some family have them fitted not many fause alarms normally flat battery etc.

i got a wireless one fitted last year and have not had one bit of bother with it the the installer to service once a year

I fitted a Yale DIY wireless alarm about 13 years ago & it's been very reliable with no false alarms. It rings my mobile if it goes off & tells me what alarm has triggered & allows me to reset or disable it remotely.

It didn't cost a fortune either.

I'd recommend PIRs (the sensors) that have dual detectors. These work by requiring both sensors to be triggered at same time to trigger an alarm. Stops nearly all false calls due to insects, mice crawling on units or strong drafts. We had these fitted in our factory and went from 2-3 false calls a year for 7+ years to no false calls for the 3 years since fitted. 'Ball ache' minimised!!

Seriously would advise you too get a qualified engineer (even get one to do it as a homer) as some basic systems can be defeated by simply belly crawling slowly past the sensors.

Any guys with self install alarms-please give this a try. There are other simply methods to defeat PIR sensors so a good idea is to put door and window contacts on the room where your firearms cabinet is-that way physical access is blocked to that area.

Also, if you have a 'man cave', a door contact can be programmed through the alarm panel to chime like a doorbell everytime the door opens. Good if you have kids that are likely to mess up your little haven from the world!

An alarm should be a once in a lifetime purchase if fitted correctly-don't go DIY until you at least price a professional. Maybe you could agree to run wires or fit sensors etc. and let qualified engineer connect up??

+1
i didt wish to drill and run wire around the place so remote is the way to retrofit one. i did not wish a bell box, but was told i had to by flo if he was to pass my cert/home fit to
hold ?? Essex will not attend a home alarm should it go off ,so why do i have to advertise that i have stuff to steal. On that note i was changing all the batt's the other week due to having some ****hole doing over a house 4 doors away , the police were doing there house to house stuff and my alarm was at full chat and no officer came over to see if i was ok !!! until it was my turn !!! then he said well i did hear an alarm "was that you"" He then told me "ahh yes your a firearms holder are't you" WTF.
best alarm is a trip mine as you then have the F*****s DNA :norty:

I fitted a Yale DIY wireless alarm about 13 years ago & it's been very reliable with no false alarms. It rings my mobile if it goes off & tells me what alarm has triggered & allows me to reset or disable it remotely.

+1 After a few false alarms with the wired system that was in here when we moved in I've just bought the latest Yale wireless kit. Reviews are consistently good and it's a load cheaper than many of the other alternatives. I got the full kit for £275 off Amazon and you can buy add-ons (extra PIRs, additional keypad for second entry etc). You can get the previous model even cheaper and that has had years of good feedback.

Have booked a local recommended engineer to come and quote on Monday so we shall see what he says, I'll ask about the dual PIR's thanks.
The Yale kit looks very good though.

I had to fit one the last time I renewed my FAC as plod insisted on it. Mine is wireless and very good. It is helpfull to have a door sensor fitted rather than PIRs I did it myself and cannot at present remember the maker but it was on line from a highly recomended sources. It cost approx £150. I see Toolstation do Response alarms and their most expensive is £179.21p

Looks v similar to the one I have.

D

I am thinking of getting a burglar alarm, burglaries in the village seem to have gone up and along with my rifles I have other irreplaceable items in the house. My work mate says don't bother they are a ball ache just get a dummy box on the outside will do just as much good.
How much of a pain are they , I don't want to annoy the neighbours with false alarms etc. Also I don't want to spend a fortune so will not go for the linked back to a base service.
Any opinions/experiences much appreciated

George

"Red Care" is costly as you say but unless an intruder alarm is to be 'responded' to in a meaningful manner I'd spend the money on proper gun safe that's well hidden.

K

Wired systems tend to be more reliable / robust than wireless systems, although a wired system is more costly to fit (worth it in my view). It's certainly worth having a local alarm company come and quote, but have in mind what you want before they come.

Remote monitoring is expensive, but a good alternative is to have your alarm box phone your mobile with any zone alerts. That way you can get back or call a neighbour to check things out if needs be.

You shouldn't get false alarms with a properly set up system and decent PIRs.

It's the life old saying - you get what you pay for. If you are serious about protecting your valuables then spend the money and get a good system, just think if it goes off who is going to do anything about it?
Although expensive for the initial instal I went for an ADT monitored system with an internal alarm & outside dummy box. I pay a small monthly fee which provides 24 hour monitoring, police response, regular service & parts
Wingy

Back