.17 Hornet

What dies are you using? I think redding do a 3 die set as it would be nice to have a neck sizing die.

Standard 17 Hornet Hornady and a "chopped" Hornady 204 Ruger for part neck sizing the 22 Hornet brass.
I gave both the Autolsol polish treatment as well.

. By your reasoning of 'bigger is better' then why not use a .50bmg ?

17 rem isn't a bigger calibre , its the same calibre as the 17 Hornet and both shoot the 0.172 bullet.... so that comment about the 50 cal BMG is ridiculas. You might as well say we shouldn't have created any other 22 cal than the 22 Hornet , because everything else is noisier and more expensive.

The problem will ALL 0.17 calibre CF's is they have low BC bullets that are affected by winds ... particularly the 20 grn bullets. In fact the real saving grace for the 17 cal Centre fires calibres is SPEED --- Send the bullet fast and flat ... the less time in the air the better.
To this end the 17 rem is So much more potent and it becomes a very useful calibre well over 400 yrds.

Not knocking the 17 Hornet - but it isn't in the same league as the 17 rem .. much like comparing the 22 Hornet with a 22.250.

Alan

I didn't say that that 17 rem was a bigger caliber , but it obviously has a lot more poke that the hornet. Nor did I say that the hornet was in the same league as the Remington.however if he wants to shoot out to 300 only , bigger isn't better as a hornet is undoubtably 300 yard capable.therefore (and I am purely commenting on use sub 300 meters) all you are gaining with the Remington is noise and a waste of powder. So no , I don't think my comparison was rediculas , maybe just a tad extreme , but then so is your view that there is no point having a hornet , as the Remington is faster.i was just trying to demonstrate that for most people the hornet is the sensible choice.

Last edited:
) all you are gaining with the Remington is noise and a waste of powder. .

What you are actually gaining is a calibre that is much flatter shooting - which is less affected by wind (the Achilles heel of the 17 cal ) and hits a whole lot harder....its a far better proposition as a foxing tool IMO

Regarding the Noise of the 17 rem - My rem didn't seem any noisier than the 17 hornet I tested ---- and using about 21 grains of powder , the rem isn't exactly powder thirsty either.

So in summary.

The rem - - shoots flatter - hits harder - and less affected by winds therefore is more accurate at 300 yards. Those are factors that are important to me and outweigh the few measly extra grains of powder I use.

Just to add a few facts to the mix. Using the same 20 grn Vmax bullet and published data regarding velocities for the cals

17 Hornet - drop at 300 yrds 10.1 inches

17 Rem - drop at 300 yrds - 5.4 inches Nearly half the drop + 50% more impact energy

I tested the 17 Hornet and it a nice little calibre ... the 17 rem is an awesome calibre

Last edited:
I just feel that the advantages of the Remington are wasted sub 300 meters. But I agree , past that and it comes into its own , I am a great fan of the .17 Remington , but for a lot of people I think the hornet would be a better choice.

Well, took delivery of the hornet on Friday and took it straight to the target. First impressions were that it was sweet to shoot, zero recoil, maybe a wee bit more noise than expected (got an A-tec on it). After a quick zeroing session I picked off 2 150 yard bunnies with successive shots-impressed! Delighted with the calibre, and set up. Looks like its going to do exactly what Id hoped it would:D

If your reloading the fireball is worth a thought, only a tiny bit behind the 17rem for quite a bit less powder, I nearly bought a 17 hornet then came across a fireball, and I love it, cheap to reload lovely to shoot, lethal to 300 if not to much wind certainly one to consider....

If your reloading the fireball is worth a thought, only a tiny bit behind the 17rem for quite a bit less powder, I nearly bought a 17 hornet then came across a fireball, and I love it, cheap to reload lovely to shoot, lethal to 300 if not to much wind certainly one to consider....

+1, i have had mine now for nearly 2 months i really enjoy using it, i really wish i had not wasted 4 years shooting HMRs and gone straight to the fireball back then.

Ian.

+1, i have had mine now for nearly 2 months i really enjoy using it, i really wish i had not wasted 4 years shooting HMRs and gone straight to the fireball back then.

Ian.

I know Ian hmr is very limited compared to the fireball, the hmr is Alot of noise for not alot of action, tin hat on!!! When you say to people about the fireball, they say oh yeah I got a hmr, it is in a different league...

Both me and my mate run 17 Fireballs, mine a SPS with a 19" barrel in a VLS stock and my mates a full length 26" SPS varmint which he has dropped into a Choate stock.
After much load deveiopement both of our rifles like 25 grain Berger FB varmint bullet.
My mate kept his 17 HMR and now brings out his HMR and fireball using his 223 AI even less now then before, i bought the Fireball to replace the HMR so i still go out with my 22BR as well, had i kept my HMR i too would be going out more with the HMR and the fireball and my 22BR would be used a lot less something i dont want.

Ian.

I was lucky enough to come across a rebarrelled tikka 595 with a shilen on it, found a Macmillan for it and it's now all bedded and shoots very well, i'm pretty sure it hadn't done much, the only Downside with mine it likes the 20g vmax as it's a 1-10, if I ever get rebarrelled again, i will make sure it's a 1-9 and try to shoot the 25g vmax, I may even try the 17rem next time round, as the fireball doesn't feed from the tikka action that well, but apart from that it's a cracker,

Nice job there. Much prettier than my Savage. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.
I've just bought some summer fodder: 200 20grain Berger Varmint HP and 100 PPU cases today. :)

Back