centerfire moderators

swarovski

Are they really hard to manufacture or are we being ripped off again, I just cant see the what I am getting for my money

The basic design is fairly simple, but requires a high quality of materials and production. The actual sound reduction from a home-made mod may not be as good as a factory item.
If you were to sell it at a later date it would need to be proofed (I believe).
They are expensive, but unless you want to use an oil filter, (see youtube) you would require skills and tools beyond the average shooter.

i still have got the mod i made for my .22r rf t 6" tube 3/4 o/d washers and 1/2 spacers welded nut 1/2unf same as i cut the barrel with a brass welded cap fitted to the top and it worked just grand on my bsa hunter and still as good as any mod for a .22, all scrap out of the bin. no mod needs to be proofed in law at this time . some rfd's like to but its just away to get more £££

Paul, thanks for the proof confirmation, I was just stating what I thought to be true, but did not know.

Your Mod for a rimfire sounds good, but does not need to stand the higher pressures of 243/308 etc. Even so there are an awful lot of people who do not have the skill or facilities to make it like you did. There will always be skilled engineers who can make a better mousetrap, but the factory produced Mod will still be the only option for most.

well we fitted one to a 45acp 6" long slide hard ball and pushing out 230gr hydrashock bullets back in the day and that worked well, but we needed to fit it with a taper bushing as the tube was over size'd, and forced the lock up to go tits, but an oil filter will do on a 223 see youtube lol , so if you had access to the metal and are good on a lathe then there is no reason why you can't make your own, but remember the second you fit it to your rifle it becomes a firearm so you need to have the slot on your cert for said metal tube that can't kill you unless you use it as a knocking stick !!! :D .
Mouse trap as a young lad in my apprenticeship we had to make a ball bearing mouse trap with as many moving parts as one could after a week of drilling bending cutting and so on our instructor bought his one in !!! A naffin tom cat ?? a ball bearing mouse trap :doh: :coat: what a real B******d he was flat cap walking cane, pipe full nine yards:old: but we all passed out after 5 years.

Paul, thanks for the proof confirmation, I was just stating what I thought to be true, but did not know.

Your Mod for a rimfire sounds good, but does not need to stand the higher pressures of 243/308 etc. Even so there are an awful lot of people who do not have the skill or facilities to make it like you did. There will always be skilled engineers who can make a better mousetrap, but the factory produced Mod will still be the only option for most.

Last edited:
The actual sound reduction from a home-made mod may not be as good as a factory item.

can't agree there
most mods are made far too big for calibre
10mm is not uncommon for a .30/7.62mm calibre
8mm for a .25/.26/6.5mm calibre
6.5mm for a .224"/5.56mm calibre

bigger the hole the worse the sound attenuation
I use a 6.5mm bore PES on my .243 and it is extremely good

I am currently having one made to my design, my choice of materials
1/4 of the price
1/2 the size
1/3 of the weight

will let you know how it fairs!

The reason gunsmiths insist on getting moderaters proofed, is so it's covered under their product liability insurance. Which is one of those things that you hope that you never need, but is nice to know that it's there.....

If anybody wants a 22R/F mod design with no moving parts PM me. I made one, had it proof tested and works a treat. All aluminium.

Back