First aid kits for dog.

M55

Hey folks do you use or have a first aid kit for your dog? If so what kind.? And what do you think of it.

This time of the yr tape some antihistamine tablets to your dogs collar , just in case of an adder bite to the dog or you

Last edited:
A friend of mine has a little pill holder, must be 0.5cm long and can literally get one or two pills in.
That lives on his keychain and contains one anthistamine and one asparin.
I believe the asparin is in case any human has a heart attack.
The anithistamine is for the dog.

Other than that I would relie on the one thing I relie on in my first aid kit, that I have never seen in any bought kits.
It is that stretchy sticky bandage vets use and people use on horses.
Its fantastic stuff.
There isn't much you cant fix with that stuff and its so easy to apply.
You don't need to know the latest first aid procedure and how to properly apply a bandage, literally just wrap it up and it does the rest.
Certainly enough to get you out of trouble.

The bandages that stick to themselves (cohesive). Vetwrap was the original brand, but there are many copy versions now of equal quality and lower price.

A cheap white open weave (WOW) bandage to improvise a muzzle.

Curved scissors to clip hair from a wound.

Think of it as first aid - most of the stuff you can share between you and the dog.

After my dog sliced both her shoulders over two consecutive weeks, I have added a skin stapler to my dogs First Aid kit. I know some vets might not approve, but in an emergency I'd rather get told off by my vet than lose my companion through blood loss. Other items are: Vetwrap (mentioned before) Zinc oxide tapeSmall bandageMedium bandageTweezersMultitoolSuperglueHibiscrub

I don't care especially if people want to use a skin stapler to staple clean small wounds that they have hair clipped away then properly cleaned.

A skin stapler is NEVER a means to stop bleeding. You MUST NEVER staple a dirty wound. If there is a large cut and it's bleeding get it to your vet for proper attention.

A stapler has insufficient strength over areas with high movement eg a shoulder.

The bandages that stick to themselves (cohesive). Vetwrap was the original brand, but there are many copy versions now of equal quality and lower price.

A cheap white open weave (WOW) bandage to improvise a muzzle.

Curved scissors to clip hair from a wound.

Think of it as first aid - most of the stuff you can share between you and the dog.
+1 to this my other half is a vet nurse and she put a kit together for me . she says the rules for a dog are the same as us nothing in and nothing out , just dress and go to see a pro

Regarding the antihistamine tablets, I was talking to my vet the other week and he said that they are a bad thing to give the dog if it is bitten by an adder as it can cause their immune system to drop, he said its best just to drive it to the nearest vet ASAP as the tablet would take a long time to start working anyway.

Any of the more knowledgeable agree with the above?

I can't think of a first aid procedure that a layman would want to perform on a dog that would not be covered by the items in a reasonably comprehensive first aid kit that I suspect most of us carry in our vehicles or even a small personal kit that some of us carry in our bumbags. The hardest thing when treating minor injuries on animals, assuming you are on your own, is holding them and treating them whilst getting bitten/headbutted/kicked/gored at the same time!

Last edited:
Regarding the antihistamine tablets, I was talking to my vet the other week and he said that they are a bad thing to give the dog if it is bitten by an adder as it can cause their immune system to drop, he said its best just to drive it to the nearest vet ASAP as the tablet would take a long time to start working anyway.

Any of the more knowledgeable agree with the above?

Personally I can't see an anti-histamine doing any harm, and I would be happy you giving one.

What would be a bad thing is delaying veterinary attention to source such tablets, ie going home to get them if out etc.

Personally I can't see an anti-histamine doing any harm, and I would be happy you giving one.

What would be a bad thing is delaying veterinary attention to source such tablets, ie going home to get them if out etc.

Thanks Apache

+1
and superglue med type, tuba grip and waterproof 2" tape plus eye saline water tubes same as you find in the first aid kit at work ;)

ive seen antihistamine tablets work on a dog that's had an adder bite. However we were quite far away from the nearest vet.

A normal First Aid kit (for humans) should suffice. No adder experience so can't comment on that.

Thanks folks. Will get some stuff together before next outing. Hopefully not to long now just letting dogs shoulder heal.

Slangevar.

Back