Joint DMG DSC Level 1 Weekend

Over this weekend (17/18 May 2014) North Lanarkshire DMG and West Lothian DMG organised a DSC Level 1 event. We would wish to thank Harburn Estates for the use of their grounds, LDNS for their support, Paul Adkins and Andrew Treadaway for their excellent input and putting the candidates at ease, members of both DMGs who contributed their time to the smooth running of the event and lastly to the candidates who put in a tremendous effort and whom I am sure got more out of the weekend than just the well deserved qualification.

We are of the opinion that the continued number of stalkers who are taking the time and putting the effort into at least obtaining DSC Level 1 must show that the voluntary approach to qualified and competent stalking is progressing well.

Our congratulations to all the candidates.

There must be a range of experience already within the two groups? What was the feedback on the course from the candidates, and dare I ask, the experienced ones?

Within the two DMGs there is a wide range of experience but as we are all aware times and legislation regarding deer and their management change. The Groups have somewhat developed from the early days and we attract stalkers coming into the game who hopefully in time will replace us old farts. As Government look closely at who is responsible for effective deer management DMGs are coming into the spotlight. As it stands DSC1 and DSC 2 are the industry standard for operational deer controllers and we must through the likes of these weekends and other training initiatives strive to produce qualified stalkers and update development.

We have now organised and run several of these Lev 1 weekends. The candidates have been a mixture of guys who have just entered stalking through to hairy assed individuals who start out with the attitude that they are going it only because they are being forced into it by possible future legislation and they have nothing to learn. I take my hat of to these guys because almost all have openly stated at the end of the course that they learned something and enjoyed the weekend. Not one has ever walked away saying this is a waste of time.

The candidates have been a mixture of guys who have just entered stalking through to hairy assed individuals who start out with the attitude that they are going it only because they are being forced into it by possible future legislation and they have nothing to learn. I take my hat of to these guys because almost all have openly stated at the end of the course that they learned something and enjoyed the weekend. Not one has ever walked away saying this is a waste of time.

It does take some humility to go on a 'basics' course when you have been around for a while. With the amount of complaints you get about the DSCs by folk who don't feel they need to do them you would have thought you would get more people in the category above saying it was a waste of time wouldn't you!

I can see where you are coming from and would suspect that if it was not for possible legislation requiring DSC 1 the more experienced guys may never do level 1 but the fact is that we have had candidates who have shot deer for years and turn up wearing the seen it all, done it all T shirt. I can honestly say that not one has walked away saying this is a waste of time and money and almost all have stated that they learned something and thoroughly enjoyed their weekend. I don't know if "humility" is the right word. It is an acknowledgement from experienced stalkers that we have it right. From the venue (deer stalking land providing good practical safety walks and rifle tests) through to input and the way it is addressed to the candidates and even the food we provide (veniburgers on day 2). Nobody is treating these type of guys as newbies but we have the support in place for the guys who are.

I'd say humility is up there with the very best of attributes! I think we are in agreement from different angles though. There are quite a few of the 'experienced' crowd that kick up a fuss about doing the DSCs but those of them that actually do it seem to end up recommending it. As you say, hats off to them.

Thanks for a great weekend i did learn alot and a great bunch of guys willing to help you.
Thanks again to everyone involved.

Back