Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: something loose?

something loose?

Hi folks,

I'd appreciate thoughts on this:

I have a Tikka T3 in .222. Scope (Leupold VX11 3-9 x 50) is mounted in Optilocks. Has been shooting perfectly.

Set it down on bipod last night to have a look over the top of a small bank. Stupidly did not account for gravity, and rifle toppled over (went over on its side).

A minute later, took a shot at a long range bunny (180 paces). Missed that bunny, but hit its friend 2 feet to the left.

Subsequent tests revealed rifle now to be shooting a foot high and to the left.

I think the knock it sustained when it toppled over accounts for this. However - it did not seem to be much of a knock. Does this indicate that something, somewhere, is looser than it should be? What are the most likely culprits?

some scopes just don't react well to knocks
    I fell on my .222 and Nikko sterling a couple of weeks back
    it took the full extent of my 14 [cough] stone ramming it into the ground

was off up and right by 4 and 6" but once rezeroed it seems fine

so long as it it repeatable zero then I put it down to the knock on the scope

did the rifle shift in its bedding/stock?

It happens - at least it wasn't an embarrassing miss (say on a DSC2 stalk) or worse a wounded animal. It doesn't take much of a knock and that's why a rifle should be babied - always amazed by those who through their rifles around, in and out and of trucks etc as if it were a piece of scaffolding. It's a precision instrument and should be treated as such.

Could it be the N'ut behind the buttplate"

Sorry, just couldn't resist

Some scopes will not take kindly to even a drop test for checking out if your safety is doing it's job, I have had three mishaps due to high winds, one cost me a stock replacement, I hasten to add the rifles were not charged/loaded at the time, but in all three cases the scopes were off, one Swaro & two Schmidts.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    Could it be the N'ut behind the buttplate"
    I usually assume that's the problem anyway.

However, 6 test shots confirmed this not to be the case!

So would people reckon it's internal to the scope?

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    did the rifle shift in its bedding/stock?
    I don't think so - and sincerely hope not, since I quite recently stripped it and then thoroughly tightened it all up again. If it's shifting after a small bump like that, then I have to do some real thinking.

IMHO the wisest action would be to remove scope, rings and the bases - Check scope tube isn't bent (vee block / roll test) or dinted under the rings - If no apparent scope damage can be seen / measured, clean rifle mounting areas, refit bases, rings & scope. Re zero and then see if it tracks properly by "shooting the box" - If it responds normally all good - If it won't track & repeatedly return to the zero or hold a consistent zero it may be bust inside & needs to be sent away for repair.
    Whilst the scope is off you should also check bedding & re-torque action screws.

Thanks for the replies folks.

All sorted and shooting fine. Scope seems fine - must have moved in the mounts somehow. Astonishing how gentle a knock can put it out of alignment.

In the course of solving this problem, discovered that even a .222 will ricochet on dry and rolled golf course fairway. Terrifying. All that stuff about backstops? Turns out they might have a point...