another one for the dark art

satellite buck

hi have finally got my reloading together :D i think . have bought a lee breechlock kit + decapping die , crimp die, digital verniers, and ultrasonic cleaner, my plan of action is ( please put me right if you think im going the wrong way about things)
1,decap
2, case length size+clean(ultrasonic)
3,neck size
4,prime (not sure yet,off the press or hand auto prime ?)
5,powder
6,bullet seating
7,factory crimp
8,go to range and suffer reloaders flinch/or tie rifle to tree and pull trigger with string
9,joking about no8.
have a sako 75 243, bullets sierra gk 100 spbt, vit n160 cci br primers and once fired cases, help /info welcome. sb

Before you do anything, get a good reloading manual. Turn off the TV, Mobile Phone etc, and read it.

Happy Loading,
Moe..

-I would resize and decap before case length trimming and deburring.
-You may not need to crimp. Try it with and without. I never crimp, but I know others that swear by it.
-Are your once-fired cases from your rifle? If so necksizing is fine, if not you will need to full length size.
-Bullets and powder are good choices.

Enjoy your new obsession!

Craig

moe, sorry should have said have read lee modern reloading 2/3 times, mauser66 yes fired from my rifle ,various makes of case but will use one make at a time when reloading thanks for replying.sb also have alpha chrony .

I am using new brass so I only neck size, as yet. If yours is once fired, and not from your rifle, I can see the point of full length case re-sizing. If they are from your rifle, why full length re-size.

I check my new brass for case length too. It's new Lapua brass and some are overlength.

I like a hand primer, as i can feel the primer seat in it's pocket. Far more feeling than if you prime on the press.

Also needed;

Primer pocket cleaner?

Lube kit (with neck brushes)?

Relaoding manuals?

For the ultra-sonic cleaner, vinegar and Bi-carbonate of soda

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

There will be more I have forgotton, with reloading there always is more to buy/learn.

Atb, ft

flytie said:
I am using new brass so I only neck size, as yet. If yours is once fired, and not from your rifle, I can see the point of full length case re-sizing. If they are from your rifle, why full length re-size.

Like I said, neck-sizing is fine for your own fired brass. If from another rifle then full-size them. But sometimes you may need to full-size your own brass if it starts to get sticky / oversize after a few loadings and / or if you are heading into weather extremes where a purely neck-sized case may cause feed problems. For example, in really cold weather putting a neck-sized case from your warm pocket into a much colder chamber can in some rifles be difficult. I've not experienced that problem even on some bloody arctic days, but know others that have.

I gave up on vinegar cocktails in my ultrasonic cleaner and now use Sea Clean concentrate which is designed for grubby metal and tarnish. Works well at 10% mix.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0SDPR1VQCKPQ2DM5ZG9D

You're going to love this hobby :D

Anything you are going to use during your reloading session, It's really depressing what damage can be done to your reloading setup by one tiny little bit of cr*p that came home with the brass! 8)

finnbear270 said:
Anything you are going to use during your reloading session, It's really depressing what damage can be done to your reloading setup by one tiny little bit of cr*p that came home with the brass! 8)
+1 :D
But get used to the idea of taking everything to bits for a clean anyway!
**** happens and **** gets in those dies after a while.

got another question :confused: , in lees modern reloading he says something about putting the powder through the powder measure to coate it to make it flow smoother, will this degrade the powder/or is there somethig else i can use ;graphite maybe, sb

IMO not at all. Doesn't affect the powder so just collect it and reuse it.
It does make the new powder kit more 'slippery' and sets it up for actual use.

Now I have to do some brass prep. Hell..this addiction :)

Back