Thread: Leica at CleySpy

Established Poster
    Northants & Poverty Bay

Leica at CleySpy

Some ten years after buying them I recently took my Leica 8x40 Trinovids into CleySpy who are based in Glandford, Norfolk thinking of having them serviced and expecting them to be away for some time. The eye cups were becoming very stiff to pull up and grit had found it's way into the joints. I was approached by Suzanne who took them away and fifteen minutes later they were returned having been cleaned and working as well as when I first bought them. Brilliant! And even better there was no charge! Superb service.
    While I was there I took the opportunity to compare new 8 x 40 Leica Ultravid, Zeiss Victory HT and Swarovski EL binoculars. There is a range at the back of the shop with a target set away up on a wooded hill. I was given a pair of each of the binoculars and left to play. All have superb optics and choice realy comes down to personal preference. My impressions were that the Leicas are the most compact and fit in the hand well. The Swarovskis were a bit of a dissapointment. Having expected to be wowed by the Swarovskis I thought that the Zeiss had a noticably brighter, crisper image. I also found the Swarovski's 'field flattening lens' gave a disconcerting 'fish eye' effect when panning. For my money the Zeiss have the performance edge and are incidentaly the cheapest of the three. No doubt others might come to a different conclusion.
    So I can really recommend ClySpy, I found excellent and knowledgable service, a huge range of new and used optics covering every occassion with very competative pricing and a good location to try before you buy.

Thanks Brian - being local I shall check them out.
    "Jenkins! Chap over there with the wings - five rounds, rapid"