Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC2 and gralloch knife

Question DSC2 and gralloch knife

Is the use of wooden handled knife for the field gralloch a "fail" when completing a DSC2 stalk ?

Cheers & ATVB

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

As has been pointed out many times on this site you cannot fail level 2 all you can do is not reach the required level of competence. What I would be looking for is the use of a clean knife (not contaminated from previous use). If your woodened handled knife was clean I cannot see a problem.

wooden handle should be fine, just dont stick the blade in the ground while not in use and if you contaminate the blade/handle with gut content etc give it a clean with a sterile wipe bfore you commence the rest of the gralloch.

+1 On the other comments Id like to see the knife clean before use and wiped down with a sterile wipe after use. If you have to lay the knife down during the gralloch lay it down on a sterile surface.

Apologies for any confusion caused....

I should just clarify.....I do not have any issues at all and have not started my DSC2 yet...But have the portfolio.

I was just browsing the net and saw someone state that a wooden handled knife was a "fail". This was news to me as I thought it was acceptable
    as long as it was clean and cleaned during operation or if came into contact with the ground etc....

Cheers Chaps.

Best regards.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Per Gazza's response, for the field gralloch it should be a knife that is easily cleanable. BASC use the phrase "a serviceable knife of appropriate design", which I think sums it up nicely.

For the larder it's different - one of the multiple choice questions in the DSC1 question bank for Large Game is on the handle material - the choices are wood, plastic, glass and soft rubber.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

That was my thinking regarding the larder and then the comment I read caused a moment of doubt !!!

Once again - thank you.

Cheers + ATVB

get a 10 mora from bushwear and you cant go wrong, plastic handle plastic sheath (nothing wrong with a clean wooden handle) but if your worried about it there is the cheap soloution

Lightyear, you are near me, I can probably help you with level 2.

I did mine with a wooden handled knife

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.