Good .243 mixed fox/deer loads?

Grandhubert

Gents a cross post but would be interested in the experience available here.

I will be mainly neck shooting deer with this load obviously, legality in Scotland isn't a consideration either, but would prefer an indication as to which bullets are the best compromise between bullet weight, ability to hold together and ballistic coefficient.

I don't have any bullets yet but have RL17, H4350, RL22 and RL 25 on hand.

Sierra 85gr hpbt did me as a deer/fox/vermin/paper bullet for a few yrs I found them very accurate and stopped what was hit

I love Noslers! 70g are brilliant for neck shooting- until I started thinking too much and fannying around with different calibers etc I used them exclusively for everything from Squirrels to Fallow.
Good reloading data on their website:
243 Winchester — Nosler

Another vote for the 85 grain game king shot lots of foxes and deer with them and none complained ,no issues with meat damage with chest shots so far.

Am I missing something here.? There seems to be a lot of these types of post. When I did my DSC and all the information I've read subsequently the law for all deer species other than CWD and Muntjac in england is .243 and 100grn.. Is this not the case? Maybe a newbie mistake?

Am I missing something here.? There seems to be a lot of these types of post. When I did my DSC and all the information I've read subsequently the law for all deer species other than CWD and Muntjac in england is .243 and 100grn.. Is this not the case? Maybe a newbie mistake?

correct.

most effective deer and fox load for .243 I've ever tried was 87g hornady bthp with varget at 2.7" COAL. believe it was 35.5g

most effective deer round was 85g partition with 35g varget and 2.625" COAL

In England it's .243 minimum and 1700 ft/lbs for all deer.
In Scotland it's 100gr bullets at above 2450fps and 1750 ft/lbs

Triffid

Back