Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Sauer

Account Suspended

Unpopular Sauer

Why are Sauer rifles so unpopular in England?
    Drive up the motorway and it's wall to wall German cars and most people appreciate well engineered tools but not Sauer rifles.

Your opinion backed up by what evidence?

I would have thought they were quite popular? Im a Sauer fan as are quite a few others...

On the other hand I dont think there are quite as many Heym's about? Which is strange as they do some nice kit...

I had a Sauer 90 once. I found it would only shoot Federal 60g HP and RWS 96g cone point ammo with any repeatability. The RWS ammo was very difficult to find. This was before the days of me home loading so maybe I could have found other loads.

Bring back the 90 action married to a medium weight and nicely profiled fluted barrel and drop into a thumbhole stock as per the Lazeroni and I'd buy another one.

It's relative, in the premium sector I would say Blaser rules. At least in the UK. Sauer are made by the same people in the same factory as Mauser and Blaser . The same people now own Rigby too. I would not buy a Sauer again, I haven't had a Blaser, although I was once within 2m of a accidental discharge involving a Blaser. The owner blamed the rifle, I never went out with the chap again, so I am not sure what happened.

I have two sauers an old 200 and a 202, the 200 is beautifully engineered and to be honest I like it better than the 202.
    Victory goes to the player who makes the next-to-last mistake..

Used a 202 in .25-06 for years......then went over to the Dark Side...

Still prefer the look and feel of the Sauer compared to the Blaser but alas the "straight pull" is the workhorse!

I know a bloke with a Sauer 202 Elegance 6.5x55SE. Lovely wood, nice rifle & shoots well - but man - it's just so heavy!
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I don't like the 101, that overly fussy safety catch on an average rifle. Some of the 202's look nice tho!
    Cheers Ted.

SACS Member. DSC 1.