Best moderators available at present

I really like the Hardy and wanted one but there where none available in my thread pattern until next month and really wanted the rifle shooting so ended up with an Aimsonic

I've looked at the Aimsport for months now but could never really find any unbiased reviews from actual owners. . . What model of Aimsport are you currently using?
A short review would be helpful and well received.

Regards,
Cadex

I've a cyclone compact I use a compact at work. I like a light mod that really cuts down the noise as much as possible.
The compact is a nice light mod but doesn't massively cut the noise down it ok.

the cyclone compact can be converted to a compact if needed. The noise reduction is outstanding I have hearing issues and really struggle 10 243 rounds in a day with no mod sets my tinnitus all over the shop I can handle 25 with the compact, last weekend I went on a target day I fired 86 rounds of 243 with compact cyclone with no ill effect. It is still light and does not overly unbalance my rifle. Like most good moderators it significantly reduces muzzle flip ( I've also used one on a 270).

Im very pleased so far only had it a few weeks though.

Easy to get hold of and cheaper than I thought it would be. PM me if you want any details.

I should declare I have an RFD up until now I always recommended the Hardy however I've now opened an account with Alan Rhone as I'm so impressed with this moderator, at the end of the day I have it on my own rifle now!

Guys you're giving me a lot of help here, any further thoughts/help will be appreciated that I can send details to my friends in the USA, keep your info coming, any makers/dealers in the States with a mod we use over here? best one for a 223, or 308, any one that will service both cal's, i.e. heard the Hardy was not calibre sensitive, all input gratefully received as we have had mods for some time compared to them. deerwarden.

The Hardy Gen 4 is hard to beat IMO. I use my 30 cal mod on my 243 and 270 and I does what is says on the tin. It reduces the sound, recoil and muzzle flash. It has a muzzle break built into the front, not sure quite how effective this is though. It is 200mm OAL, it adds only 80mm length to your rifle. It weighs 290 grams. I hardly even notice it on my rifle.

As some have said the T8 is quieter but a lot heavier, T8's are prone to rusting if not properly dried out and kept lubricated.

Ase Utra North Star is a good mod, stainless, but a bit on the heavy side. My T3 lite was very muzzle heavy when I used the North Star, hence me now favouring the Hardy. But great sound reduction, on a par with the T8 to my ear anyway, not measured on a sound meter. Weight, 660 gram to 700g depending on calibre and what thread is cut. It adds 100mm OAL to your rifle but total length is 198mm.

The Atec CMM4 is very light 220 grams but is prone to has cutting as made from aluminium. If you are only going to use the mod for hunting and not much target/range work, I would be tempted to get one as they are so light. It adds 160mm length and is a muzzle can type mod.

Hope that helps.

cheers

I've heard some bad reports on the Hardy Gen 4. I have a ASE Utra S5 which is good but heavy. I also have a SL5 which is much shorter, MUCH lighter but performs the same. Stainless steel and no maint. Probably as good as anything else on the market if not much better!
MS

I have a Lawrence Precision Nexus compact on my 6.5x55 but in terms on sound attenuation the SL5 on my 30-06 wins. I also have an ASE Utra jet z on my my .223

But the rifle I'd prefer to carry is the 6.5x55 due to its balance!

Last edited:
When in the wood the people I shoot with tell me my riffle is very loud I don't notice it that much .I have the hardy gen 4 and I hated it when I 1st put it on but I am coming around to it now .the muzzle brake is a waste off time though I would not bye another one .next time I will do a little more home work before rushing out to by the latetsed mod out

I have recently bought at Third Eye Tactical Spartan III with integral Ti muzzle brake and it's very effective on my .223. My 18" rifle is very loud unmoderated, but with the mod on it's about as quiet as my .22rf. I'm pretty impressed considering the weight and profile of the mod and you can choose whether you want to use it in reflex or EoB mode.

If you want light weight all aluminium you have to class the mod as a consumable and be prepared to replace it but if you only shoot maybe 50 rounds a year youll probably get a few years out of it
if you want something that could last a lifetime its probably going to be made of st steel or ti but will be a lot heavier and a lot dearer

ive tried most mods and im now at the point were i prefer a mod that is not stripable as all you do is keep checking it to see if a bit is loose and constantly taking it apart to make sure its clean or it hasn't seized together

a mod that is 200 Grammes and a mod that is 600 Grammes makes no real difference by the time you put a 56 mm obj scope on and your stock pouch full of bullets or you carry your 1 kilo RF bins around your neck

its all personal preference

i now use a ASE ultra jet z does the job last a lifetime non stripable fit and forget while in use and weighs about 400 Grammes ish

Happy days :)

When in the wood the people I shoot with tell me my riffle is very loud I don't notice it that much .I have the hardy gen 4 and I hated it when I 1st put it on but I am coming around to it now .the muzzle brake is a waste off time though I would not bye another one .next time I will do a little more home work before rushing out to by the latetsed mod out
I've just returned from the States and want to recommend my friend out there the beat mod for his 223 AR 15, I was leaning to the Hardy, anyone run an AR 15 in 223 with a mod they would recommend, I have an SL 5 on my 270, and a T4 on my 223, happy with both, but there are more mods on the market than ever, I would like to recommend what anyone is using and really is happy with, I like the look of the Tactical Spartan mod, does the muzzle flash just unscrew and it replaces it? deerwarden. deerwarden

I've just returned from the States and want to recommend my friend out there the beat mod for his 223 AR 15, I was leaning to the Hardy, anyone run an AR 15 in 223 with a mod they would recommend, I have an SL 5 on my 270, and a T4 on my 223, happy with both, but there are more mods on the market than ever, I would like to recommend what anyone is using and really is happy with, I like the look of the Tactical Spartan mod, does the muzzle flash just unscrew and it replaces it? deerwarden. deerwarden

Yep, I run the Spartan III on an AR15. The muzzle brake stays on and the mod just screws onto the brake, it works really well and there's no POI shift.

Jet Z CQB is a good mod for the AR15, but heavier and any flash hider / brake needs to be removed unless you go for quick detach version.

I've heard some bad reports on the Hardy Gen 4. I have a ASE Utra S5 which is good but heavy. I also have a SL5 which is much shorter, MUCH lighter but performs the same. Stainless steel and no maint. Probably as good as anything else on the market if not much better!
MS

I am intrigued to know what the issues were with the Hardy Gen 4. I am yet to find any problems with it?

a mod that is 200 Grammes and a mod that is 600 Grammes makes no real difference by the time you put a 56 mm obj scope on and your stock pouch full of bullets or you carry your 1 kilo RF bins around your neck

I can understand your point in part, but a heavy mod on the end of your barrel will upset the balance of the rifle. Although I do have a 56mm scope and a rf set of bins, I would still want as lightweight mod as possible so the balance of the rifle is not effected too much.

I can understand your point in part, but a heavy mod on the end of your barrel will upset the balance of the rifle. Although I do have a 56mm scope and a rf set of bins, I would still want as lightweight mod as possible so the balance of the rifle is not effected too much.

In addition, I went from T8 to Hardy Gen IV as I carry the damn thing more than I shoot it, and any weight that can be saved is good news. No issues with my Hardy (so far)...

I am intrigued to know what the issues were with the Hardy Gen 4. I am yet to find any problems with it?

Ross, a moderator should reduce noise. If you have a muzzle break on the end it's not going to do that. I believe there are mods out there with internal muzzle breaks.

Back