South East Devon - Conundrum

marklestrange

The conundrum is ....

My FAC conditions:
I've just passed my DSC1 and am waiting for the official pass paperwork to come through, which will take over a month, to send in so I can have the "in the presence of an experienced centre-fire user" condition taken off and even possibly the 'only on land deemed suitable by the police' .. any advice?

My Permission:
The only 'deer' permission I have is a small copse with I believe 4 or 5 Roe on it as I see one every time I go.
This has not been shot for ten years but was previously used for raising pheasant.
The owner is adamant that I cannot bring anybody else there, I know that sounds 'convenient' but it's very inconvenient as at this stage what I need to do is shoot and gralloch a deer 'with advice' as I go, certainly on the gralloch. I also need to get good at foxing, something I've never done as the buggers will eat 'my precious' (funny how I'm already getting possessive lol) feral pheasants.

How can I get good at foxing?

Rifle:
I've got a bit of a nail... but it did only cost me £100. [poor with 3 kids]
I figured I could do with a rifle that I could 'fix' so I could learn rather than something that 'worked out of the box', and boy did I get it.
The barrel and bolt are both well used with the lands looking consistent all the way down but not looking either wide nor deep.
It's a well used 308 Midland Parker Hale with a Mauser/Springfield action and a bad bad threading job - somewhat off the centre of the bore and with a very poor crown and no proof.

I've fired a couple of dozen rounds of different weight though it and it didn't blow the old T8 (£75) Mod off so I guess it's OK. I have discovered though that it will only hold a handful (5?) in a group before it starts dramatically wandering off to the left so as I'm not planning on shooting that many deer at a time that my rifle barrel gets hot, then should I just accept it's not a range gun but is fine for deer?

I'm planning to 're-crown' by polishing the crown with a brass round head bolt and paste - it can only make the hole rounder and smoother, you should see it now! The trigger is 'acceptable' to 'good' until the pin vibrates out after a few shots and gets 1/8 inch of grind to give you a clue it's happened, so I was going to put a drop of Ducati thread lock on it.

The barrel channel 'just' touches on the middle right as it heats I think, (when cold the note marginally binds as it passes] it makes contact therefore throwing the shots ...or it could be the non concentric bore with bad thread job expanding unevenly... or both lol. I'm planning to refinish the 'glossy' polyurethane like stock finish to a less bright oil finish (the wood is pretty good) and top and tail the stock with some African hard wood (ebony) as well as a couple of disks to cover the recoil lug nuts (?) on each side when I take out the barrel channel a bit to get a consistent float.
I may make an adjustable comb as it's present hight is perfect for iron sights but a good inch low for a scope.
I'm planning to do some limited bedding taking out the high spots where the action presently pivots very slightly on the wood (which could be a cause of problems too) by bedding the pillar and rear tang, then give one inch of support to the barrel.
I'm already getting some help machining a full rail for the top of the action so that I can get the correct eye relief off my very short scope on the rifles very long action. [It's got a floppy bolt - that can be a problem with long ones.]

Any ideas guys?... on how I might fox or god forbid shoot a deer within my 'conditions' (of course) .... I can make a quick website for anybody that wants to take me out for deer. [Web Lecturer = day job]

Last edited:
Well it sounds like you have never shot a deer, nor a fox and yet you think passing dsc1 will entitle you to have an open fac, so you can tote your rifle( thats sounds like it ought to be condemned) in the countryside of E.Devon. Better hope the firearms dept. at middlemoor aren't reading your post in the same light!
The post was amusing but not v.well thought out imo.

Well good afternoon to you too.
In case you didn't get it the rifle is being sorted and will be tested on a range at each stage to gauge it's performance.
Lighten up - I'm improving the rifle and trying to assess if it can be made into a decent deer rifle, which it well might with some patience and a lot of work....isn't that what a responsible shooter should do?
You are right in that I have never shot a deer and only shot one fox.... I've shot quite a few Chayote though and a few Boar.
I've took a few hundred bunnies in this country and lived abroad for over a decade including the States, the Middle East and East Asia so have probably shot more variety of game than the average over a greater variety of terrain and probably with a much greater variety of equipment.

As you seem to be such a clever fellow, how do you suggest I progress by Deer shooting then 'shortshot'?
I would love to benefit further from your wisdom and experience.

Last edited:
:popcorn:im not falling for this one,good luck markle i cant comment as i too havent yet grassed a deer , as minikeeper says just keep at it,regards doug,

Last edited:
Hi , don't listen to him , there are plenty of people on here like that and you just have to ignore them. Firstly , buy or borrow as many books on deer and foxes as you can , keep looking on Google and learn as much as you can. Then spend as much time as you can on your permission watching and getting to know the deer and foxes , practice stalking and getting close to them so that you know what you are doing before it comes to actually shooting them.learn your safe directions of fire and where your backstops are. There are pleanty of good instructional videos on gutting and butchering deer , watch them , over and over again. Do you have an air rifle ? If so spend as much time practicing shooting freehand , kneeling ect. Now , how we'll is your rifle grouping the first 3 shots , if it's within 2" at 100 yards I would use the rifle how it is for the time being , when you get more experienced then it may be worth doing it up or buying a new one. Best of luck

Why not book a few outings to gain further suitable experience of shooting deer with Ian Farrington, he is quite near to you.
When you have done so you should be able to get the "mentoring" bit lifted. If there are any safety issues regarding your woodland permission if you can erect some high seats that might help. Finally, if your rifle is as bad you describe you might be better off cutting your losses and getting one in good order.

atb Tim

you have in your region a very experienced guy by the name of Ian Farringdon (IanF) he is more than capable of teaching you what you need to know, however, it is his business and there is a cost involved, there will also be other pro's offering the same services.

you have in your region a very experienced guy by the name of Ian Farringdon (IanF) he is more than capable of teaching you what you need to know, however, it is his business and there is a cost involved, there will also be other pro's offering the same services.

+1 For Ian, he's a nice guy and knows his stuff!

as for the foxes try and find out the times they use your land and wait for them night/day nights best if possible bait an area with tuna or catfood spread about get there early set up your bait and wait ,soon enough something will turn up ,the rest is up to you,good luck your conditions should be removed anyway on renewal but you never know? if after having your c/fire for ten/twelve months get a third party , in this case your mentor to write a letter on your behalf to say weather your safe and competant,? atb doug, hence the popcorn :popcorn:

Last edited:
The conundrum is ....
so I can have the "in the presence of an experienced centre-fire user" condition taken off and even possibly the 'only on land deemed suitable by the police'

My Permission:
The only 'deer' permission I have is a small copse
The owner is adamant that I cannot bring anybody else there

Why has your mentor not shown you how to gralloch deer? how does he mentor you if he's not allowed on your ground?
It sounds like your mentor hasn't been doing what he volunteered for.
Anyway, IanF has a great reputation on here and he is in your area. You should book some time with a professional so that you know roughly what to do if you shoot a deer.
It also sounds like you could do with getting a proper riflesmith to look at your kit or perhaps even scrap it and grab a bargain on here! there's a CZ550 in .243 for £250 in the classifieds!

Hi Mark, sounds like you need some help i am not far from you and i know the East Devon area very well, drop me a p.m with your contact Nos and we can organise something,w.s.

Out of interest who did you complete your DSC1 with?
Perhaps some guys on the same course are on here and you can meet up with them and work together?
But best money you can spend is with a chap like Ianf.
Cheers
Richard

Thanks guys.
Is the gun as bad as I say? ... well lets say 'expert opinions have differed' from 'it's a lemon and ditch it' to 'it's a classic just shoot it'.

After just paying for the DSC1 it might make a good impression on the wife if I came back with some bacon, well some venison at least, rather than go straight to paying someone, though I understand the sense in the advice.
I've watched a lot of stuff on Youtube and read a lot but nothing quite beats holding the knife to learn what to do properly.
I have spent some time on my copse permission and have just got a couple of ali ladders to get up some trees to better observe what is going on.
I keep getting barked at by Roe Bucks that I can't shoot and squirrels that I can, so I'll take the air-rifle next time for squirrel stew.

Thanks guys.
Is the gun as bad as I say? ... well lets say 'expert opinions have differed' from 'it's a lemon and ditch it' to 'it's a classic just shoot it'.

Please give a little consideration for your deer.

It is all very well to fire a slightly wonky group out on the range and I am sure that restoring your rifle to good order will be an enjoyable achievement in itself.

However, when it comes to what may be a relatively rare shot at a deer you need to be absolutely confident that your rifle will be spot on, "classic" or not.

atb Tim

while yur sorting out your rifle problems,get a rimmie and get bunnie hunting,1 your practising different shots etc ,2getting to know your land, and 3 putting something in the pot,

I've had Roe right in front of me while holding a .22lr or a shotgun on more than one occasion and not shot. I won't pull a trigger unless it is not only legal but I'm confident in a clean kill as well. I'd also like to know how that is affecting the local population. Though a lot is talked about that I'm beginning to realise that is mostly lip service and bears no reality to the truth unless it's in a deer park.
Hell I only ever shoot bunnies in the head and get laughed at for getting stressed about a wounded bunny.
Don't worry I'm a teacher ... I can't help being responsible ... it's a curse.

does your landowner know about the mentoring condition on your ticket as ive some landowners that express that the permission is for me only but they are still happy for me to bring an extra person as long as only I shoot and carry rifle most off my stalking is for fallow and an extra pair of hands is often needed for carcase extraction.

bide your time and ,good things come to him that waits, christ i must be ready for a bonanza ive rusted up waiting,:rofl:atb doug,

Sounds like you have plenty of experience from other parts of the world, enough to make a little time worth having with Ian, He can fettle any rough edges off you in very short order, He has that gift all teachers have, the ability to pass on knowledge in the best way, any money you might spend with him would pay off , I once had some written help from him concerning a lever gun/deer condition, with Cheshire licensing,....... sorted straight off.;)

Back