New look for my rifle

nick100

Just given my Sako 75 S/S a makeover.
We'll after a very long wait and being messed about something terrible, my new stock finally turned up.
It's a Joe West in mountain camo. Great stock, awful service!!!!!

I then bit the bullet and got the barrel and action cerakoted in 'titanium', I had the magazine done in 'Safety orange', and the mod I think was OD green.
This was done by Tactical Coatings, an absolutely first class job.:tiphat:
I must admit I wasn't 100% on the colours matching but I was assured by them they'd look good.
I'm very pleased I listened to them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 360
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 240
Out of interest,how do you go about having a rifle action/barrel etc cerakoted,do you have to deliver the rifle in person or what,and what sort of price for action/barrel/mag/mod?

Martin

I took mine down in person, I'm glad I did as I got to see previous work.
Also it's ok looking at colours in pictures but nothing quite like seeing them in the flesh.
Price wise, to get all this done and my Benelli s/a barrel, action, and mag tube done was £340.
Which included stripping down, removing scope and remounting.
All done in 10 days too.

Looks good, very good, nice to have a fresh start to an established shooter... I did something similar with my Hmr but In Royal Camoflauge..once again Joe West Stocks, nice woodwork, but bloody awful, I'll say that again, bloody awful service... And I really don't know why, though I have my suspicions.... Still we get there In the end and it's worth It...Cheers

Last edited:
Should have had the scope done at the same time.....! Does it it help you shoot staight now...?!

Should have had the scope done at the same time.....! Does it it help you shoot staight now...?!

I toyed with the idea of getting it coated. But covering a 2k scope ?
Not for me.

I think we need to arrange a 'clay day'. Just to sort the men from the boys.:stir:

Looks good, very good, nice to have a fresh start to an established shooter... I did something similar with my Hmr but In Royal Camoflauge..once again Joe West Stocks, nice woodwork, but bloody awful, I'll say that again, bloody awful service... And I really don't know why, though I have my suspicions.... Still we get there In the end and it's worth It...Cheers

As I understand it, having overheard him in conversation about this very point at the Bisley Phoenix meeting, he just doesn’t do keyboards (e-mail) and spends all his time in the workshop turning out product.

Clearly a case of a small, burgeoning company struggling to find the balance and resource in such matters?

I tried one of his thumbhole with finger groove stocks as per picture and it could have been cast from my hand it fitted so perfectly.

K

I toyed with the idea of getting it coated. But covering a 2k scope ?
Not for me.

I think we need to arrange a 'clay day'. Just to sort the men from the boys.:stir:
Oh like that is it..? One good round on the clays and you think you're Jackie Stewart....! I bet you used those fecking great big crows....!

As I understand it, having overheard him in conversation about this very point at the Bisley Phoenix meeting, he just doesn’t do keyboards (e-mail) and spends all his time in the workshop turning out product.

Clearly a case of a small, burgeoning company struggling to find the balance and resource in such matters?

I tried one of his thumbhole with finger groove stocks as per picture and it could have been cast from my hand it fitted so perfectly.

K

It is a cracking stock, but to be told 1 month delivery from date of order to ending up at nearly two and a half months before delivery is just not good enough.
It wouldn't have be so bad if I'd been told if there were problems, or hold ups. I can understand a small/new firm being busy at start up, BUT without any customers they won't last long, and word soon travels.

I'm thinking of restocking another rifle at some point, and guess who won't be in the running for the job.

Oh like that is it..? One good round on the clays and you think you're Jackie Stewart....! I bet you used those fecking great big crows....!

No need for big targets, well not with a shotgun. Shown them how to do it more than once mate. :smug:
We could always get the trap out here and have a competition for a few burgers. :stir:

Ps. don't mention crows to Mark.

It is a cracking stock, but to be told 1 month delivery from date of order to ending up at nearly two and a half months before delivery is just not good enough.
It wouldn't have be so bad if I'd been told if there were problems, or hold ups. I can understand a small/new firm being busy at start up, BUT without any customers they won't last long, and word soon travels.

I'm thinking of restocking another rifle at some point, and guess who won't be in the running for the job.

Clearly their loss.

To be clear I’m only quoting a conversation I overheard when on the Joe West stand at Bisley and do not pardon poor comms. For their sake I hope they act on the feedback they are receiving.

As an aside I understand they’ve commenced production of their own laminate blanks rather than ship from the US which, if comparable in quality, variety of colour combinations and number of laminates per inch, makes perfect commercial sense in the longer term but may not be good timing should Mr. West be considering confronting his phobia that is IT!

K

Back