Winchester Mod 270 22lr??

daven

guess this may just apply to the north American folks (???), but has anyone got one? Just ran across one at a reasonable price that would satisfy my "NEED" for a small caliber but know nothing about them... Looks like a good little rifle (pics only at the moment).... Wondering if they are drilled & tapped for a scope rail or grooved (??)... like the idea of being able to use shorts in it also... Thanks for any tips...

Dave

I know it well. My younger brother ( and hundreds of other students ) won one for selling magazine subscriptions to "Progressive Farmer" about 1965.

The principal announced it over the PA system. We went to the office and picked it up and rode home on the school bus with it. He still has it, now with a 4x scope on it.

It was a modern replacement for the older pumps of the 1930s. It is not as nice a rifle as those, but it was cool for us. Make sure the firing pin and extractor work, and the firing pin spring is still strong. That is the only thing about rifles like this, which were not made in huge quantities for decades... not enough spare parts.

I know it well. My younger brother ( and hundreds of other students ) won one for selling magazine subscriptions to "Progressive Farmer" about 1965.

The principal announced it over the PA system. We went to the office and picked it up and rode home on the school bus with it. He still has it, now with a 4x scope on it.

It was a modern replacement for the older pumps of the 1930s. It is not as nice a rifle as those, but it was cool for us. Make sure the firing pin and extractor work, and the firing pin spring is still strong. That is the only thing about rifles like this, which were not made in huge quantities for decades... not enough spare parts.

And even harder to get here I guess..... Maybe I'd better pass and stick with a bolt action that is more common... Thanks.

Well, my brother has shot enough rounds through his to sink a small boat, and I am still shooting my Marlin from the same year, without anything breaking, so don't let me scare you off it.

Pics look brand new and he made me an offer I can't refuse so.... Guess I'll find out......

They come with a groove in the receiver for 3/8 inch rimfire ring mounts.
The rifle will handle shorts, longs and long rifle ammuntion, 16 LR, 18 Long, 21 Short.
Barrel is 20.5 inches.
Weighs about 5 lbs.
The Deluxe Model 270 has a raised comb and nicer wood.
Made from 1963 to 1973... relatively rare. More people were buying semi-autos then.
Prices in the US run between $200 and $350.00, depending on condition.

mod270.jpg

only pic at the moment, but should be fine.... Cost was just over $100... should satisfy my "needs" fine....

just got delivered a little bit ago.... Looks like new except for a couple light scratches on the buttstock everything tight and looks hardly used...

If you don't have a scope for it, I recommend the very inexpensive Hawke HD 4x32mm Mil Dot.

Thanks! Been looking at the simmons' and tasco pronghorns for about the same money in
3-9x32 and 3-9x40... even 3-9x50..... only thing it will be used for is pests inside 50 yards if they are dumb enough to pass my stand.... thinking the x40 and x50 would just look like a big thumb on this little rifle tho.... and I really don't need variable magnification do I??

The Simmons is not a bad .22 scope. I have one on a .22 autoloader. But this Hawke was so imipressive, I bought 3 more on a special for $30.00 each. I gave one to a friend for his 10/22 rifle ( not carbine ). The reticle is laser etched, and very crisp. The dots at 4x are great for hold over and wind stand off, if you are into shooting pigeons in a field or just plinking. The fine reticle makes aiming very precise. With an accurate .22 LR, shooting a pigeon at 120 meters is easy. Sight in at 25 meters, on again at 75m, halfway down to the dot at 100, dot on at 120m.

I am now removing a way-to-big fine crosshair 4-12x40AO airgun scope with 1/8 minute clicks from a nice .22 LR bolt action and putting on the Hawke 2-7x32mm AO Mil Dot, for a smaller package.

that's what I'll be ordering then if I can find someone that will ship it.... do the hawkes come with the rings or do you have to order them separate?

No, you have to purchase 1 inch rings. The scopes are light, and no recoil on the .22, so any good rings will do. These scopes are centerfire rated, but the AO is nice for dialing out parallax. With the 4x32 Hawke, I have no problem with parallax at 25 yards and on out, and closer than that, who can tell on small game? I was going to try a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x35mm on this nice .22 before I got the Hawke, because I wanted the bullet drop hash marks. The Mil Dots work just as well for me. My next go is to figure out 150, 175 and 200 yards.

Thanks... just ordered a set (scope & rings)... little more expensive when I finally found a place that would ship to me, but still OK..... Thanks for the tip..

Did you order the 4x32 or 2-7x32AO? Let me know how they work out for you. I don't want to give anyone a bum steer.

Since you stole the rifle, the Hunting Gods figure you can afford a little more for the scope!

Back