.22 hornet mod

pj1

Hi.
I have a. 22 hornet ready and waiting and am just wondering what mods you guys use on yours. I dont really like over the barrel jobs.
If the thread is right i will use my a tec cmm4 rimfire unless you guys can suggest a better not to expensive option
regards pete

I personally use a Wildcat Cub 2 on my Hornet, Well made, Nice and light and does the job well, Another one to look at is a PES small muzzle can, i have never used one personally but have heard they are a good mod and also work well on the Hornet, I think HORNET 6 on here uses (or did) use one Both mods are end of barrel.

Hi.
I have a. 22 hornet ready and waiting and am just wondering what mods you guys use on yours. I dont really like over the barrel jobs.
If the thread is right i will use my a tec cmm4 rimfire unless you guys can suggest a better not to expensive option
regards pete
just use a RF one, my mate has the same .22 mod on his hornet that I have on my .22lr ..

I wouldn't use a rimfire mod on a hornet, there not proofed so why risk it. I had an over barrel hornet specific mod on mine and it was fantastic but I've no idea what make it was as I got the set up secondhand. My mate uses a dm80 which is great. Might sound strange but I think the hornet moderates better than a hmr, I only sold mine as I didn't have time to reload and couldn't get a decent supply of the same brand of factory ammo.

I have tried plenty of different mods on my Hornet, from a Sac to a T8, a Sac is best for weight, and almost as quiet as the T8
Small Pess muzzle cans are another one to look at, or do what I did and take yourself and your rifle off to see JMS arms and actually
try every mod he has until you find the one you like most, I settled on the Mini-T over barrel one, quiet, no muzzle flash at night, good
balance and light enough. Looking back on the last 2 years of using it I'm still happy with it, but also think I should maybe stayed with
a sac, yes I would have burned a few out by now, but at £35 each as compared to the £230 for the one I have I could afford to.
The Sac is almost as quiet and much lighter.

Neil. :)

I wouldn't use a rimfire mod on a hornet, there not proofed so why risk it.

Most mods are not proofed, and as for a rimmy mod, well the Sac is designed for hornet down .22lr.
I have used one, works great, but limited life, mine lasted about 500 rounds.

I have tried plenty of different mods on my Hornet, from a Sac to a T8, a Sac is best for weight, and almost as quiet as the T8
Small Pess muzzle cans are another one to look at, or do what I did and take yourself and your rifle off to see JMS arms and actually
try every mod he has until you find the one you like most, I settled on the Mini-T over barrel one, quiet, no muzzle flash at night, good
balance and light enough. Looking back on the last 2 years of using it I'm still happy with it, but also think I should maybe stayed with
a sac, yes I would have burned a few out by now, but at £35 each as compared to the £230 for the one I have I could afford to.
The Sac is almost as quiet and much lighter.

Most mods are not proofed, and as for a rimmy mod, well the Sac is designed for hornet down .22lr.
I have used one, works great, but limited life, mine lasted about 500 rounds.

Personally , I thought the SAK on the hornet was poor and very noisy

The SAK on my old Hornet was totally f--ked after about 300 shots.. even after 100 rounds I noticed the first couple of baffles in the stack were seriously damaged. after 300 bits of baffle were missing... You can just imagine if a piece of baffle fell down your barrel and then you fire a bullet at 3000 fps over it.

I would go for a ASE SL5 or the ASE CQBS - both of them excellent mods that can be use on other CF that you might have to

More info here -- http://www.aseutra.fi/jet-z-cqb-and-cqbs-suppressor

ATB
Alan

Last edited:
Sak are not proofed for hornet, they maybe was but now their only sold for use upto hmr/wmr Jackson Rifles - rimfire and air rifle silencers. I might be wrong but I thought all mods had to be proofed for use on their appropriate calibre for fac rifles if they were being sold as an fac mod. A sak might be ok but you'll have no comeback if you knacker your gun or face!

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the a tec i have would get burnt as its only ali. It is rated for hornet according the manufactorers web site. I also have my atec cmm4 for my 308 which will obviously cope with the amount of hot gas but may not be as quiet.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think the a tec i have would get burnt as its only ali. It is rated for hornet according the manufactorers web site. I also have my atec cmm4 for my 308 which will obviously cope with the amount of hot gas but may not be as quiet.

you'll be fine mate as it's what it's built for it won't die after a few hundred rounds.

Personally , I thought the SAK on the hornet was poor and very noisy

The SAK on my old Hornet was totally f--ked after about 300 shots.. even after 100 rounds I noticed the first couple of baffles in the stack were seriously damaged. after 300 bits of baffle were missing... You can just imagine if a piece of baffle fell down your barrel and then you fire a bullet at 3000 fps over it.

I would go for a ASE SL5 or the ASE CQBS - both of them excellent mods that can be use on other CF that you might have to

More info here -- http://www.aseutra.fi/jet-z-cqb-and-cqbs-suppressor

ATB
Alan

Sac designed for a Hornet, to those who say no it isn't look here

I have both an SL5 and a CQBS and would use neither of them on a Hornet, too heavy for the sound moderation you get.
The Pess Mini-T is 300 grams and quitter on the hornet than either of the ASE's
But like the say, it's your choice and your money, but I bought the Hornet as a light to carry and easy to use walkabout rifle
and I'm not compromising that with a heavy mod.
Sac failing in a 100 rounds, loading a bit hot were you, mine outlasted the 400 Remington 35 grain factory round that came with the rifle.

Sac designed for a Hornet, to those who say no it isn't look here

I have both an SL5 and a CQBS and would use neither of them on a Hornet, too heavy for the sound moderation you get.
The Pess Mini-T is 300 grams and quitter on the hornet than either of the ASE's
But like the say, it's your choice and your money, but I bought the Hornet as a light to carry and easy to use walkabout rifle
and I'm not compromising that with a heavy mod.
Sac failing in a 100 rounds, loading a bit hot were you, mine outlasted the 400 Remington 35 grain factory round that came with the rifle.

What Hornet 6 says. I've a Pez on mine and it's just as good now as when I got it 5 or 6 years ago. Light too with great suppression. Don't know the round count but it's somewhere in the 5-600's with no bits rattling around in it yet.

PS, Mods don't need proofing, just the rifle. Speak to Jacksons about it.

Last edited:
Hi hornet6,
i don't doubt the sak will do a job on a hornet the point is that site is in Finland and we're not. Over here the distributor Jackson arms tell you in bright red writing in the link I posted that the mod is only suitable upto hmr/wmr. Thats what it will be proofed too so according to our proof houses and our importer that's what it's safe to use them on and that's all your warranty covers you for.

Edit- I appologise just been reading up and apparently moderators do not need to legally be proofed but most are for insurance purposes incase of claims.

i'd still stick with what Jackson's say about them only being used upto hmr/wmr.

Last edited:
i'd still stick with what Jackson's say about them only being used upto hmr/wmr.

You do that, it's your money and your rifle.
But I know who I believe, and it isn't the importer who is trying to sell you a £300 mod instead of a £35 one.
You have to be realistic here, if your going to shoot thousands of rounds then a Sac is not for you, but
if like most users you will fire a couple of hundred a year at most then you will be quids in with a sac.

Back