Thread: Ruger 10/22

Ruger 10/22

Hi all, I'm just after a bit of advice on my 10/22: How tight should the clamp be that holds the barrel to the end of the forend, it must have an effect on accuracy ?

I take it that the clamp you are talking about is the barrel band? If so Muir one of the site members who hails from across the pond and knows a little on these matters normally recommends removing the barrel band on a 10/22 as he sees them as an impairment to accuracy.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

That clamp won't handle a great deal of torque, they snap like a crunchie bar!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Mine is very loose, as in no longer on the rifle and the stock modified to free float the barrel.

Remove the band, I have owned three 1022 and makes a massive difference but once you start tinkering with them it does not stop !!

6. #6 has so much information on these it makes my head hurt and if you had though about further mods they are the guys to ask for help on these guns.

Thanks for the advice, I will try it without the band and see how it goes, and have a look at the link to see what else I can do!

Just remember that by removing it the barrel may still be touching the forend where the band was but now it's not clamped in place and pressure on the forend may have a much bigger effect on accuracy. When I removed mine I also modified the stock so the barrel was completely free floating along its length.

I have had a few 10/22s and built a few the band is always best removed or adjusted by removing material on the barrel side to allow the barrel to be free floating.