Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Memorial Day USA

Memorial Day USA

I don't know if this is the place to post this sort of thing, but I just wanted to put up a remembrance for my uncles and other kin, who all served in England in World War II. They were all, by no coincidence, of English and Scots-Irish ancestry.

Uncle - radar - US Army Air Corps - defense of London
    uncle John - Air Corps - radar - defense of London
    Uncle Bob - 82nd Airborne - parachuted into France, D-Day
    Uncle Robert - Infantry, Belgium
    Uncle Lawrence - Air Corps - Captain, pilot, instructor, recon and mission planning 1942-45, 8th Air Force
    Sam - Father-in-law - MSgt, - Omaha Beach, June 1944, Arnhem Bridge
    Wallace - his brother - SGT - infantry - France, Belgium

My father - US Army Corps - pilot, China, Burma, El Alamein, India, China.

They all made it back with just a few scratches.

A very Poignant Post considering we are about to Commemorate the 70th Anniversary of D-Day.
    Should you ever find yourself in England be sure to visit the American Air Museum at Duxford.
    Pleased to read they all returned home safely. Are any still with us today?

Thanks. I would love to be at Dunford.

No, they have all passed on. They all just went in and came out, back to the farms shops they ran, except Lawrence, who became a Colonel and came back to England as a base commander in the late 1950s.

There are still a few friends of my father in good health: a B-29 pilot who grew up down the road, a Navy pilot from the Pacific, and one from the 4th Marine Divison in the Pacific.

i too have a lucky family both great grandads ,Black Watch and Yorks n Lancs regt come home from the great war..and second world war grandad,his 3 brothers n 3 uncles came home uninjured .grandad had to go back out to Korea n survived that too.if you get to normandy or even the somme area youl be overwelmed with places and memorials to see ,its very humbling.the only injuries caused were by my uncle bill he was a cook in the army catering corps .he knew more ways to poison you with corned beef than any man alive

Both grandfathers had deferrals, being full time farmers. However, as each was first born, each of their brothers (my great uncles) went. One went to the Pacific, and returned. The other made the greatest sacrifice. He turned eighteen, enlisted, and spent a grand total of 23 days in Europe. He never returned (or were his remains ever discovered) nor did he ever see his 19th birthday. His name can be found on the MIA monument at St. Avold France.

In our families some came back, some didn't.

Had a family holiday in Normandy a few years back and realised we must be close to the cemetary my wife's uncle was buried in. He died in the opening hours of D-day.

We eventually found it tucked down a lane behind a village. A group of young teenagers were gathered near the entrance drinking and fooling about, being a bit loud. As we unloaded the kids one of the boys made eye contact with me, gave a discreet point to us, then behind to the cemetary. I nodded and he immediately whispered round the group, gave a polite nod back, then they all quietly moved away.

That simple but obvious respect and courtesy was even more poignant when we entered and saw the immaculate quiet rows of grave stones inside.

It was so many years ago, but many people do remember, with gratitude and respect.

I thought of a few more veterans still alive, friends of mine and my father.

One was captured at Bataan, and survived several work camps, nearly killed several times by Allied attacks on the Japanese who held him. He was rescued by a high school classmate of of my father, who was portrayed in the filim, "The Great Raid". We grew up in a town of only 1,500, really most of us outside town on farms, spread over 600 square miles for one school.

Another friend of my father later in life, whose name I will give because he was played by Robert Redford as "Major Cook" in the film, "A Bridge to Far" - Moffiat Burris, a very humble man.

And my father's college classmate is still living in the same town as myself. He was the only survivor of his company in the Battle of the Bulge. It was a military college, and only 42 of 340 in the class made it back to graduate.

theres a lot of memories on here of the war generations ,more important than ever in the 100 years since the great war started as our generation is the last with living memories of the brave family members who fought in that living horror story.the veterans are all gone now but for us not forgotten atb Tozzie

That's an impressive list Southern, thanks for posting.

As the saying goes.. "if you can read this, thank a teacher. If you're reading it in English, thank a soldier".
    That saying is very apt here.
    "Don't say I didnae warn ye !"

My Dad was Royal Navy in WW2. I know very little about his time as he would never speak of it. He was badly injured at Anzio. Not during the initial landings but at a later stage when ferrying supplies ashore. He died when I was only 17 so I never got the chance to talk of such things.
    My Sister in laws brother was a very young officer aboard Ark Royal when it attacked the Bismark. He ended up a Lieutenant Commander and retired from the navy back in the 60s.