Thread: Hello from East Lothian

Hello from East Lothian

Hello from East Lothian,

I've been shooting now for almost 40 years with the only times away from it whilst being distracted by wine & women in my twenty's & then a seven year spell in New Zealand. Still can't believe how stupid I was not to get involved when I was in NZ!

I followed the usual route with air rifle at 14 to shotgun to DSC 1 & rifle and did a fair bit of stalking by myself, interrupted only when we were surprised by twins, who are now old enough to allow me to think about doing this again, so here I am.

My passion is wild birds & deer in wild places. My shotgun shooting tends to involve all day walks with my pointers (GSP's) & if I've been through some good countryside, seen the dogs enjoy themselves & work (fairly) well & had a couple of shots then I'm happy. Most of the shoots I've been involved with have been wild bird shoots & I'm afraid I still feel guilty if I shoot a hen bird, even when somewhere as a guest.

I'm starting to do a bit of rifle practice & stalking again & really enjoy getting out & am trying to train the quieter of the pointers to work for deer. I'd have to say that I find I get more pleasure from watching deer & stalking them & if I can find a reason not to shoot then I'll often not bother. I've twice now managed to stalk in when unarmed & tap a deer on the rump with my stick, which certainly surprises them!

Anyway, I've been dipping into the forum for the last couple of years when I've set the computer a heavy processing task so I thought I'd better say hello,

Welcome to the SD

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

hi there and welcome...pete m,