Well, the bucks are back....

willie_gunn

Saw this fellow out grazing this morning:

Roe_Buck_17May_zps39250f67.jpg

Not on ground that I stalk, but where I walk the dogs most days. Apparently there's a chap from Wales who comes up and stalks the ground, so next time I see him I'll let him know. There's a couple of other smaller bucks as well.

Here is a link to the video:

Roe Buck 27 May 14 - YouTube

It was nice to see after yesterday morning when I went out stalking. Only does that time...even if one was less than 15 yards away.

willie_gunn

Last edited:
Must admit I am the same Willie,they are beautiful animals. There are plenty of times I have sat and watched and not been bothered on pulling the trigger,and it makes you forget what you have gone out for.

Opps. Let's hope your services aren't called upon. He's a great looking beast.

Jon

If he keeps on doing that roe buck thing of running 50 yards and then turning broadside on I doubt he'll be around much longer ;)

You would have thought that Darwin would have taught them something by now!

nice..... you don't see many that nice where I hunt.... the forest meister insists you shoot anything with horns... A little later, he'll insist on all that moves... Had 4 young does over about an hour stretch in front of my stand day before yesterday... Less than 30 meters away.... one saw me and got aggravated & started stomping her feet. Clapped my hands at her and she jumped straight in the air then walked off.... be taking a camera this evening if I can get out.... and from now on....

nice..... you don't see many that nice where I hunt.... the forest meister insists you shoot anything with horns... A little later, he'll insist on all that moves... Had 4 young does over about an hour stretch in front of my stand day before yesterday... Less than 30 meters away.... one saw me and got aggravated & started stomping her feet. Clapped my hands at her and she jumped straight in the air then walked off.... be taking a camera this evening if I can get out.... and from now on....

I'm thinking about a better quality camera. The Sony Handycam is okay; this morning's video was taken with the camera on maximum zoom but with it rested on a fence post - the buck was a good 125 yards away, but I'd like something better.

I am wondering about investing in a "proper" videocamera, i.e. something approaching professional quality but not too bulky.

I would guess that interchangeable lenses are worthwhile, but does anyone have any experience with this type of camera?

dom

there was a web site called hunting footage i think that had a forum on cameras and footage so you could see the capability of various cameras.

well...... had every intention of taking a picture this evening... Had a doe and fawn go buy 20 yards in front of me and had them all zoomed in.... Then figured the flash would scare any buck that may be following, so put the camera back in my pocket..... of course, no bucks were following....

Hey Daven, Lovely looking buck. I wouldn't worry too much about having the flash on. I regularly forget to take the flash off and I can't recall a deer run as a result. Here are two photos I took at the weekend of a munty. The first photo was with the flash and the second was without.

Picture 043.jpg

Picture 044.jpg

These days I get almost as much pleasure from pressing the shutter as I do from pulling the trigger ;)

I couldn't agree more. I like to see them in full flight, amazing to see them move so fast over tree fell that I struggle to walk across. Yet, when I tell those opposed to deer management that I enjoy watching them just as much as stalking them, they don't believe me. Amazing how someone's prejudices can blind them to that fact that it is possible to see both sides of the same coin.

S

well...... had every intention of taking a picture this evening... Had a doe and fawn go buy 20 yards in front of me and had them all zoomed in.... Then figured the flash would scare any buck that may be following, so put the camera back in my pocket..... of course, no bucks were following....

Isn't that always the way? Yet more proof of the first rule of deer stalking - all deer are b@st@rds!

Back to the same place as yesterday and this time there were two bucks:

Roe Buck 30 May - YouTube

There were also two does in the same field and another in the next field. I still haven't seen any kids though.

willie_gunn

I couldn't agree more. I like to see them in full flight, amazing to see them move so fast over tree fell that I struggle to walk across. Yet, when I tell those opposed to deer management that I enjoy watching them just as much as stalking them, they don't believe me. Amazing how someone's prejudices can blind them to that fact that it is possible to see both sides of the same coin.

S

I'm afraid that some people who will never understand how we can watch deer one week and shoot them the next, and do both with an equal passion.

There are a couple of quotes from RS Surtees that always come to mind:

"As Jorrocks said of his prey: "In the summer I loves him with all the hardour of affection: not an 'air of his beautiful 'ead would I 'urt; the sight of him is more glorious than the Lord Mayor's show, but when the autumn comes then dash my vig how I loves to pursue him to destruction."

And

"It ain't that I loves the fox less, but that I loves the 'ound more"

willie_gunn

I must admit to talking to many people about the roe deer and its habits only to here so you are passionate about them and still shoot them it don't make sense. I normally say (IT DOSE TO ME|)

I must admit to talking to many people about the roe deer and its habits only to here so you are passionate about them and still shoot them it don't make sense. I normally say (IT DOSE TO ME|)

you just can't explain stuff like that to folks......

Back