Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Missed shot" fee!

"Missed shot" fee!

Not sure if this has been discussed before but I have come across a few who quote a fee for "missing a shot". I can understand a carcass fee if the shot was misplaced or if the animal was wounded and lost. But, is it fair to charge the client a fee for missing a shot?

The way I see it, if you expect the client to accept the fact that you may not see anything shootable in a given outing - "that is part and parcel of stalking", then it should also be accepted (by the guide) that people sometimes will miss a shot (again "part and parcel of stalking"!). Charging for a missed shot puts more pressure on the stalker and makes the stalk that much less enjoyable. I am very interested in what people's thoughts are on this topic?

I've stalked under those conditions. The fact that I have to pay if I miss did not enter my head when shooting.

The stalker has done their bit and put you in front of a shootable deer. You have to do your bit and shoot it.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

This is a variation on a theme of threads that crop up from time to time.

The answer you're likely to get from most is that you should make yourself aware of all charges before booking a stalk and if you're not happy with them then don't book.

The way I see it, if you take a shot at a deer then you have assured me you can make the shot as its within your comfort/skill zone, therefore that deer is presumed as being hit and lost if it walks away.

This also stops clients from taking wild shots when unsure if they can hit it or not but nothing to lose if it walks off.

like has been said, if the stalker works hard and puts the guest on a deer that may have taken most of the outing to achieve, the guest should do their bit and complete it

We'll intend to agree with the OP, if they miss a shot, then that is no different from them not getting a shot, of course this would depend on the initial charge, if you paid say for arguments sake, 60.00 for a stalk then, 40 if you got a shot, then it would not be fair on the stalker, but if they are charging you 100 for the stalk then the shot is irrelevant as if you had not seen a deer they are no worse off.

Any sensible service industry builds into their pricing structure the average cost of certain less-than-desirable outcomes.

All the sophistry deployed to justify these add-on expenses is as flimsy as Ryan Air's justifications for its many little cons.

It does seem a bit untoward having to pay for something you have not hit and can cause bad feeling , but as others have said read / ask about terms before you book , if you don't like it go elsewhere , there's no shortage of stalking in the UK. I think it`s better to charge a fixed fee for the stalker and then a fee for the beast , obviously wounded count as a kill even if not recovered, the stalker can usually prove this by showing the client blood on the ground.

Yes but when I take people stalking(for free) my average is 1.5 deer per outing so a miss to me is money in the bank.