BBC Springwatch

Cyres

I just seen the last two programmes and can the BBC be changing its ways? clip on tree climbing badger, Avocets nest being flooded out and good clip on a fox hunting. Last night a clip on a carrion crow taking a small baby rabbit and attempting to peck it to death,stated that they show everything and nothing is censored lets hope it continues.

Any way they also found a nest of newborne rabbits in a pile of straw. They gave the impression that rabbits were born in the warren now i was of the mind that rabbits were invarriable born outside a warren in a stop or similar secluded spot. Am i correct?

D

And they’ve even dusted off and wheeled out Bill Oddie but not, sadly, she of locks curly. Sure do miss the ‘tension’ they generated when jointly presenting.

K

Rabbits that are born above ground normally have a good chance of avoiding mixi or at least they do in Cheshire

Now, now, don't be to harsh on Kwis Packham. He did say, on the first evening that "everyone enjoys seeing tits in high definition." He only speaks the truth, so ease up on the lad.

Isn`t Minsmere the reserve where the RSPB have recently tendered for the red deer to be culled ??? It would be interesting to see if this subject is raised in the next week or so..... In their new era of not censoring anything....

Don`t always like the hosts, but some of the footage they get is truly excellent.

Neil.

I cant bring myself to watch it. Or Countryfile.
Hopefully Farages straight-talking revolution will infiltrate "Labour-TV" or the "bbc" as it was formally known ;)

They may say it's warts and all and nothing will be censored, but is it just me that thinks they'll show a few tragedies to heighten the contrast of the fluffy stuff they show? The overriding criteria won't be the wildlife or anything else other than the mantra "does it make good telly?"

I heartily disagree with lots of their (the BBC's) policies, the presenters views and I bet they are still very selective about what they show. But the camera work and a lot of what they capture is truly excellent. To be honest, if I didn't watch anything because I disagreed with the views of the programme makers or the presenters, there'd be not much point in having a telly. Consequently I will watch the likes of Countryfile, but usually after recording it, so I can whiz through the dross.

Last edited:
This comes up every season and as much as I find certain aspects of presentation painful, I'm equally taken with the hostility shown by many SD members. This seemingly stemming from a seriously misguided assertion that the BBC should make and present for a very limited audience. Namely those of a sensibility that encompasses killing wildlife! Sorry, but that's how I read it and as one with such a sensibility.

With regard to CP the only fault I will lay at his door is that of a dislike for jazz as when it comes to the subject at hand he may truly be called an Expert. Indeed were CP into deerstalking there is no doubt in my mind he would be a badge-wearing successful DSC 1, 2, 3 & 4 SD member with a Doctorate in Deer Management too.

I watch these programmes for what I may learn and enjoy by way of camera footage I'm unlikely to secure in a lifetime of naked eye in-the-field study.

If, as it most certainly should be, the programme's remit is to educate and entertain then the BBC are ticking a very important box as may be linked to the Licence.

As for a revamp of the presenters I'd be very happy with a certain slightly more mature Weather Girl I've seen on the BBC news channel and who's name - if not bosom - escapes me!

K

eh?
Obviously you haven't watched the BBC often.
They are the biggest anti country sports group I have every seen!
According to one presenter the other day on some nonsense programe on the BBC (maybe crufts), "cocker spaniels were used to flush woodcock for shooting, though no one does that any more"
Pakam is the biggest raving anti anything loony there is!
The BBC should be mutual!

This comes up every season and as much as I find certain aspects of presentation painful, I'm equally taken with the hostility shown by many SD members. This seemingly stemming from a seriously misguided assertion that the BBC should make and present for a very limited audience. Namely those of a sensibility that encompasses killing wildlife! Sorry, but that's how I read it and as one with such a sensibility.

K

With regard to CP the only fault I will lay at his door is that of a dislike for jazz as when it comes to the subject at hand he may truly be called an Expert. Indeed were CP into deerstalking there is no doubt in my mind he would be a badge-wearing successful DSC 1, 2, 3 & 4 SD member with a Doctorate in Deer Management too.

I watch these programmes for what I may learn and enjoy by way of camera footage I'm unlikely to secure in a lifetime of naked eye in-the-field study.

If, as it most certainly should be, the programme's remit is to educate and entertain then the BBC are ticking a very important box as may be linked to the Licence.

As for a revamp of the presenters I'd be very happy with a certain slightly more mature Weather Girl I've seen on the BBC news channel and who's name - if not bosom - escapes me!

K

+1, agree completely (its Carol Kirkwood I think doing the weather)

CP is certainly not against deer stalking,in fact he has defended it on Springwatch etc. He is against a lot of "killing" for sport, he is certainly not against management. I've had him out a couple of times and he is fully supportive of deer stalking, I would imagine that he might be a bit against driven grouse shooting.
He is an ecologist and quite geeky, compared to some of the folk I work with, he's ok!
I think we are living in cuckoo land if we think we will get a prime time BBC spot for a decent fieldsports channel, CP does get kids out into theopen air, which is good.

Back