Walter Walsh FBI agent obit.

I loved reading this. I did not realize Walsh was still alive. I met him in 1972, and several other times along the way, as I resumed competing in pistol instead of rifle.

These were tough gangsters, and the FBI, ATF, Customs agents, and Pinkerton railroad detectives did not play around with them. I lived for a while near the home of Melvin Purvis, knew his brother, and became good friends with an older gentleman who had known Purvis well. This gentleman had been a teenager when Purvis was killed in an accident. The family gave him lots of guns, knives, and other things taken off the gangsters he got, such as John Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde. The farm house in which I grew up is still in a very rural setting, much more so in the 1970s, when it was used in a documentary film about the Barker Gang, Machinegun Kelly, and Walter Walsh.

Last edited:
There were some tough guys in those days Ed McGivern was another one.
I got his book "Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting" in a bookstore in Boone NC. We visited Linville caverns and Blowing Rock the same day.

A friend was on a course years ago run by Jeff Cooper over here. Friend Kenneth was the only one with a revolver, a S&W Model 25. He split the target post with his first shot, Jeff said, "can you do that again?", Kenneth said yes and Jeff took his word for it.
Later they got talking and when Kenneth found out that Jeff was keen on Shakespeare he took him a tour of Stratford-on-Avon and Shakespeare's house and Jeff treated him to lunch.
It's nice to recall that story as I got word the other day that Kenneth had died, good friend, good shooter.

I learned to shoot a revolver in my teens from an old former BATF agent and Pinkerton man. He was especially good at instinct shooting, but a crack shot slow fire, too. He had killed five men I knew of, three at once when he his train stopped in a small town and he stepped off to check telegrams. Bank robbers had forgotten to time the train, and their getaway car was on the other side, racing to get around and pick them up. They had shotguns, and Pete just drew his .38 and told them to drop everything. They decided to shoot it out at 25 yards, and none of them got off a shot.

Hey, if you ever come back Boone way, I have to put you up at a cabin overlooking Rumbing Bald and Lake Lure.

I learned to shoot a revolver in my teens from an old former BATF agent and Pinkerton man. He was especially good at instinct shooting, but a crack shot slow fire, too. He had killed five men I knew of, three at once when he his train stopped in a small town and he stepped off to check telegrams. Bank robbers had forgotten to time the train, and their getaway car was on the other side, racing to get around and pick them up. They had shotguns, and Pete just drew his .38 and told them to drop everything. They decided to shoot it out at 25 yards, and none of them got off a shot.

Hey, if you ever come back Boone way, I have to put you up at a cabin overlooking Rumbing Bald and Lake Lure.

I always preferred a "wheelgun" :).

That's a very kind offer Southern, we've been over at Dogwood bloom time and that's great. Warm but still some ice in the shady parts of Grandfather mountain. Standing on the very top there and looking out at the view was fantastic even though we have good mountains here too.
We went over once in August...too hot for this Scot.
If you are ever over you're welcome to stay here, we're near Edinburgh.

Grandfather Mountain was too hot in August?! Ha! People in South Carolina or Georgia go there in August to escape the heat. It was 94 F here yesterday, then a heavy thunderstorm with some small hail mixed in at sundown. Lake Lure high is 82 today. It can get hot in the mountains if the air current run the wrong way during a heat wave. A few years ago, it was 110 F in Walhalla, and the humidity with all those lakes and rivers around made it dreadful. Do you have family over in the Blue Ridge?

Back to the topic, another good book you might like is the one on gun fighting by the Texas Ranger of that era, Bill Jordan, "No Second Place Winner." He was another wheelgun fan. I like my Smiths, but love the way you can stage and park the hammer in double action on a Colt Trooper or Python. I got serious about shooting the 1911 in 1972 and got to compete with Jeff Cooper in 1973. He was out here the year before he passed away, and my son got to meet him at the shooting range. What a nice bunch of folks who loved the sport and never tired of helping someone.

Hi Southern, yes, had a brother in N.C.
I'm not good with heat above around 80-ish. I canoed down the Yadkin once,it was in the high 80's and it was a pleasure to fall in :).
I tried a Python but didn't like the trigger pull,been shooting S & W too long. My last revolver was a Ruger Speed 6 with 3" barrel.
I got it at auction, it was in great condition but the leather holster was Well worn. Carried a lot,used a little, the best way. I think it was ex Northern Ireland.
I've heard of the Bill Jordan book but not read it, must pick one up.

ps.. I used to go to Duncan's gunshop in North Wilkesboro, nice people and good range downstairs. Prices to make a U.K. resident weep.

Last edited:
Back