Sako 75 Makeover

AnthonyR

I was never 100% happy with the performance of my Sako 75 270WSM which I use for all my stalking, so last year I bit the bullet and ordered a new barrel for it, the old one had done the best part 900 rounds and while still OK I am a fussy bugger and was looking for better.

Anyway I have got the rifle back now and here it is:

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

The barrel is a 24" 10" twist Pacnor in the standard Sako Hunter profile, all the barrel/rail work was done by Neil Mckillop except the paint which was done by Dave at Valkyrie Rifles. The mod is a Hardy Gen 4. The scope is a Swaro Z6i 2.5-15x56 BT with the new 4W-I reticle

I ran the barrel in with a few shots with cleaning in between and then shots 7,8 + 9 produced this with no load development:

IMG_2134.JPG

When you deduct the bullet diameter that is a 0.25" group, I am chuffed to say the least. The load is 150gr Berger VLD Hunting pushed by 59gr of RL17 using Norma brass and Federal magnum primers.

Can't wait to stretch it out a bit. :)

Picking up my re-barrelled 75 from Neil in the morning - struggling to get the bullets I want at the minute though so gonna be a little while before I get a load worked up. I'm still quite excited though :D

May I ask what colour the Barreled Action is coated in please?
Nice Rifle. I like what you have done with the Stock to solve any Cheek Weld problems.

Yorkie.

looks good, you've done a great job, can I ask how much the barrel cost?
good luck

atb
simon

The truth is I can't remember exactly how much it cost, I ordered and bought the blank last year and then waited to the end of the deer season before getting it fitted. Pretty sure though it was in the region of £600-£650 for supply, chambering, threading and fitting.

May I ask what colour the Barreled Action is coated in please?
Nice Rifle. I like what you have done with the Stock to solve any Cheek Weld problems.

Yorkie.

Sorry but again I don't know the exact color, what I do know it is Cerakote done by Dave at Valkyrie Rifles which he matched to the paint work the gun already had. I will ask him when I get a chance though

Looks like H&K flat black to me.

Dave's work is top top quality. He's not the cheapest but, his work is turned around quickly with no bullsxxt which is why custom rifle builders who don't do do coatings tend to use him.

Personally I favour a stainless rifle and vapour blasting but, if I had a blued action then I'd have Valkyrie ceracoat it.

Nice looking rifle and a great calibre, mr Mckillop does know his onions!

ATB
moses

That's looking lovely, congratulations. Keep us updated with the results after load development too.

Back