UKSHA follow up and strike site

mereside

In the event of shooting a deer or boar then running off into cover we would like to highlight certain things to do to aid recovery of the animal and to also minimize the suffering caused.
Once the animals hit note the reaction to the shot and wait 30 minutes before following up on the animal.
· Mark the shooters position.
· Find the strike site.
· Mark the strike area in case a dog and handler need to be called out.
· If bone and skin fragments found and on last light recover pieces for the handler or cover the area if possible.
· Call the tracking team for advice at the strike area which also gives the team time to arrange to come out if needed

Spend time looking at the strike to determine where the animal is hit.
You should find small fragments of bone or hairs these will show you were the animal was hit, maybe small amounts of rumen or fleshy parts all building up a picture of the strike for either yourself or the handler to follow up on.
Pink frothy blood will indicate a lung shot animal and is the only true way to tell where the animal is hit from blood alone but this can also be deceiving as if head shot pink frothy blood could be from the saliva and blood mixed.

Once you have an idea of strike on the animal you can follow up if shot placement is correct for a heart lung shot beast.
If the shot reaction and strike area point to a shot placement where the animal could be highly mobile then the best course of action is to wait because the animal will want to couch down if undisturbed and usually within 100-200 yards if not in danger.
It would be better to follow up with an experienced team on a mobile deer or boar.

Going in too soon to find the animal will make it run further but once pushed it will not stop for a long time.
The best action is to wait for the animal to feel out of danger and couch up.
The animal will then stiffen up this seems harsh but will dramatically increase your chances of recovery and help the animal in the long run but more importantly cause less suffering.

The UKSHA team can be called on for advice at the strike site for the best course of action as things like a gut shot animal needs leaving 4 hours minimum not minutes because it will be highly mobile and without an experienced dog will be lost if an immediate follow up is done.

If the stalker has a deer dog use the dog once you have determined the reaction to the shot and shot placement is good.
If not back out and wait for the animal to couch up and for the adrenalin to subside.

If again you find bone fragments which point towards a leg shot animal this will need to be left alone 12-24 hours again this seems harsh but the animals stress levels and being highly mobile will push the deer away from the ground altogether.
Again an experienced dog and handler could be used to recover the animal.

Careful consideration is needed when using a deer dog with a highly mobile deer or Boar if it hasn’t been trained to deal with them and could end up being moved off the ground without dispatch or recovery prolonging the suffering.

Sometimes nothing can be found at the strike area and the stalker presumes the deer wasn’t shot but this needs careful checking as if at last light perspective changes and you might not be on the exact spot.

If it gets dark start again first light this gives a better look at the area for small sign and a follow up with an experienced dog and handler.

The UKSHA team are here to help at any time for advice and to track when needed we do not take payment for this service only to help end the suffering of deer and wild boar the earliest contact gives everyone the chance to follow up and recover that animal as quickly as possible and determining the strike and shot placement is vital when the follow up is started.
This is a 24/7 free service in the strictest of confidence
Thank you
Wayne Rollinson
UKSHA member
Contact tel 0800 689 0857
Paul Smith secretary email ukshasecretary@outlook.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne, is there a contact list with regards to where people are or do people just get in contact through SD and who ever we get can point us in the right direction? if through SD is there a list of names people can contact and check who's online which will speed things up. I know your self and wolverine are members but I'm sure there are others who are members.

David.

David, yes I am just talking now about the tel numbers and and the best way to list them, we will hopefully with admins support get this into a sticky so we can add material as we go along.
so things don't get over complicated i will add to contact tel numbers and the secratary's email this way we can determine who best to get to respond without people having to ring round, atb wayne

Good post Wayne.

It highlights that often when a beast runs off, it's not so much the dogs ability that's determining whether or not a good chance of finding it exists, but the handlers experience in knowing what to do....

Spot on Jamross....

All the UKSHA want,is to help and educate people,all for free,no cost.

As others say-this is all about deer welfare and ending suffering-nothing more,nothing less.

No hidden agendas with UKSHA at all-we want to help.....as we have helped many on SD and all over the UK and abroad.

We want more handlers who will track and be willing to learn.

ATB
George,UKSHA Treasurer(I have the purse strings:D only because I am the tightest when walking)

Top post, top offer!

Things are developing, great to see, read and realize....

If any further support from abroad is needed, please let me know....

:thumb:Michael

Thank you michael,
we will be adding quite abit shortly as things are progressing really well, we are being called out on a regular basis now although not everyone want's tracks posted and this we must respect as it is only down to deer welfare and the wishes of the people calling us out.
We will be posting our training progress as we have members over in Bavaria Training as we speak.
this will be updated regulary with news thanks to everyone who is offering support in this early stage of UKSHA,
Wayne Rollinson

I'm reticent about putting videos on here but I thought I'd like to put this on here. When I started training my pup the uksha didn't exist. I didn't know anybody who might help but through the SD I got in touch with George (Wolverine) he in turn put me in touch with Paul(widu) as he was nearer to me. What I have achieved with that dog is down to them, they always took my calls which was very frequently and Paul always welcomed me when I went up to him, advice was always forthcoming and free, thanks guys
By the way I'm available if anybody in my area need any help with tracking

Last edited:
Wayne is right and working out what has happened at any shot site is paramount to any recovery.
this is the shot site to a recovery callout this morning(a hour and half round trip for me) and thought the SD readers may like to see the pics from it rather then me the dog and another dead deer.
shot taken at about 40 meters, though trees and branch with 30.60 bt, not sure about weight,
no blood at the shot site only meat and bone, I smear of blood on the trail on a tree guard.
Where do you think the bullet has hit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 363
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 307
You sending the arm chair experts into a state of shock with a question like that. Would depend on the cartilage showing. I would say high on the shoulder or the base of rib age. Lack of blood platter would suggest a muscled area where the bullet passed through an area not too wide. Lack of pins could suggest the lower rib cage might be the preferred option. My thoughts. Now why do you not put up a picture of a deer and play "spot the shot," charge a pound a go. Put up a prize, someone might donate a stalk if you ask nice. Then you add to your coffers in this excellent cause.

Good post Wayne and this is not really about tracking but about finding lost deer and dare I say this is best practice even if your route differs some what. Can I ask what you would do if there is a very high risk of the animal being found by members of the public .

Good post Wayne and this is not really about tracking but about finding lost deer and dare I say this is best practice even if your route differs some what. Can I ask what you would do if there is a very high risk of the animal being found by members of the public .

Davey that is a really good post,
It matters not about anything but deer welfare. so using proven ways to track deer for the best success and for the welfare of the deer. These methods are not just in germany but right across europe because they have been proven to work over thousands of tracks and over a long period of time these have not been made up overnight.
Best practice was written a while back now and everything changes as we evolve and find better ways to do things and best practice is no different.
It needs to be looked at and re written to help keep best practice current and the best it can be for the welfare of deer and stalkers trying to follow it.
So going back a step the strike area determines your course of action if it is a good strike a follow up can commence in the right conditions but if the animal is wounded and needs leaving to lay up then this is the best way to retreave the animal and ease suffering, pushing the animal too soon will result in a lost beast or worse an accident from either RTA with dog or animal.
UKSHA will be doing seminars in the future to educate stalkers at the strike site as we feel this is the best way to help and by changing best practice can only be good for the welfare of deer and boar for the future,
Wayne Rollinson
UKSHA member

Last edited:
Hi Wayne,
Will UkSHA be doing some training days in the near future to educate both handler and dog in tracking methods,and potential members?
thanks
Arwel

Wayne I am sure that both Best Practice England and Best Practice Scotland can benefit from the correct inputting ,I am sure the ones that came up with the idea were aware things change as new information and more correct techniques come to the attention of the Uk deer managers. Have you contacted the DI or SNH ?

Wayne I am sure that both Best Practice England and Best Practice Scotland can benefit from the correct inputting ,I am sure the ones that came up with the idea were aware things change as new information and more correct techniques come to the attention of the Uk deer managers. Have you contacted the DI or SNH ?

Davey you are right i am sure,
George is currently working on that as it keeps him off the keyboard, he seems to come across differently on screen,:D than in real life, :thumb:

Don't we all lol. Is it possible from just the strike site to make an educated choice of deer dog or tracking hound. I my self have been very guilty of by passing the strike site and letting the dog just go down and find the deer. I have found most dead some alive and some have been pushed on . but normally dealt with on the nabours ground.

Back