A little concerned

perdix

I've just been passed a Haggis by a local tonight and I am concerned that it may have been shot out of season as I would have thought that they would be breeding at this time of the year.
Does anyone know if it has and ,if so, what should I do? :D

Tut tut perdix you obviously don't have you hsc level 1 it's all discussed in the course you know! ;)

If you were to take an extensive, and extremely expensive, course on the legal aspects of this situation then you would know exactly what to do. As it is you are clearly an uneducated idiot and not fit to possess a haggis. Go immediately to your local police station and hand yourself in.

If it is one with short legs on the left side you are OK, they are in season.
It is the ones that have short legs on the right side that are out of season.
It is all to do with the way they run around the very steep hills.
The ones that are in season at the moment are the ones that run anti-clockwise, the ones with with short legs on the left side. They can be shot almost any time for not conforming.
The other ones, the ones that conform and have short legs on the right, can only be shot when Easter falls between Christmas day and Boxing day.

Last edited:
they were lucky to find a nest, very rare to find one so exposed dog walkers probably disturbed the parents,:old:there used to be one at formby on the reserve but the scallys got wind of it and its not been seen since princess margerettes birthday bash ,i know prince charles has a pet one he strokes in his shed,all the rest are up north they like the humidity for some reason,anyway as they say at balmoral, granville fetch your cloth,

Last edited:
Was it shot with a haggis legal calibre. As the law according to McGaskill states that they may only be shot with especially dangerous air weapons by a state approved licensed air weapon owner.

Back when men were men and sheep were scared. You had to stalk up to within 5 yards of them a deal the " coup de grace" with a well aimed spud gun!

Think you may be getting confused with Irish Firearms law Si ;)

Anyway,neep and tatties bought for the ritual sacrifice.Let the bun fight commence

A while ago i was checking snares in a wood on a place I worked up here in the highlands, I was walking my lines when I noticed that one of my snares was stretched down into a burn, I thought woop woop I got a fox , armed only with a stick I creeped round the corner and too my surprise it was a female haggis sitting there trapped around the waist by the snare, as it was out of season I thought I would let it go, I went back to the landy and got myself a shovel came back to the Haggi' pushed down on her gently with the shovel and clipped the snare with a pair of wire cutters, to my shock and horror when letting her go she did not skulk away but instead started spitting and growling at me, I took fright and ran like a madman through the woods being chased by the terrifying growling haggis, cleared a burn in one bound only to slip on the bank as I landed emerging half my leg and a whole dry boot into the water but without thinking I clambered out the water and up the bank without even glimpsing behind and ran straight for the safety of the land rover.

Needless to say and please take my warning on this if you ever catch one in a trap or snare alive then kill it no matter what never release it as it will kill you.

Last edited:
Haggis are a very real problem here in North Cumberland with them migrating South for the better climate .We regularly find then squashed on the roads from April to almost the end of January when they seem to stop there migration for no reason!!!! which is strange. They do make good eating if you can find a young Haggis but any thing over 3 weeks old is not worth eating.
God knows what will happen to the poor blighter's if Scotland goes Independent and we have to close the Border for these refugees... I think that they will become extinct in a few years!!!:doh:

Last edited:
You can only shoot haggis legally during the Salmond season which I think will start mid September!:stir:

If it is one with short legs on the left side you are OK, they are in season.
It is the ones that have short legs on the right side that are out of season.
It is all to do with the way they run around the mountains.
The ones that are in season at the moment are the ones that run anti-clockwise, the ones with with short legs on the left side. They can be shot almost any time for not conforming.
The other ones, the ones that conform and have short legs on the right, can only be shot when Easter falls between Christmas day and Boxing day.

Sorry! There are no mountains in Scotland, - only hills. Haggis would fall off them if there were mountains in Scotland & that would bugger the season up. ATB

Sorry! There are no mountains in Scotland, - only hills. Haggis would fall off them if there were mountains in Scotland & that would bugger the season up. ATB

Sorry, post amended :doh:

When I was up there and carrying what I was, they seemed like ruddy gert hills to me so as far as I was concerned they were mountains.
Then what do I know being a softee southerner, things may have changed, even the water was 40% proof and served in bottles :D

Last edited:
Back