CWD/muntjac/roe backstrap in puff pastry

Pine Marten

Hello everyone.

Since there seems to be some appetite for my recipes, I thought I'd share this one, which I adapted from something I used to do with pork tenderloin before I had lots of venison in the freezer. It's really quite easy and adaptable. Essentially, you slit your backstrap lengthways, but not all the way through, and stuff the slit with your choice of chopped up herbs, mushrooms, garlic, onions, etc. In this case, I used parsley and sage because they're growing in the garden, and four or five mushrooms, and half an onion. Place the meat and chopped up garnish on some puff pastry (in this case half a block of Morrisons' finest...). If you have too much garnish, it doesn't matter, pile it on, and it will all steam in the pastry parcel. Then close the parcel as tightly as possible, and cover in egg yolk, which is purely for aesthetic purposes. Stick it in a medium oven for about forty-five minutes, remove it, leave it to rest for ten or fifteen minutes before carving, and there. Takes maybe an hour from fridge to plate and the fact that you're steaming it in the pastry means that it's very hard to overcook it. I made bit of a mess of this one by rolling the pastry too thin so that it split, but it was still fine. As I said, it's a forgiving sort of recipe.

View attachment 42840View attachment 42841View attachment 42842View attachment 42843

Don't bother taking your rifle to the H4H Bisley shoot as an apron and something to prod the barbeque will be just fine.

You’re going to be kept busy!

Cheers

K

Don't bother taking your rifle to the H4H Bisley shoot as an apron and something to prod the barbeque will be just fine.

You’re going to be kept busy!

Cheers

K

Yes, I've already been recruited for burger-flipping duties as it happens, which I'm perfectly happy to do. Although I would like to let off a few rounds nevertheless. One of these days, I may even set up the damned scope on my .22. It's just that I never seem to have the time to devote to it.

Yes, I've already been recruited for burger-flipping duties as it happens, which I'm perfectly happy to do. Although I would like to let off a few rounds nevertheless. One of these days, I may even set up the damned scope on my .22. It's just that I never seem to have the time to devote to it.

What size scope rings? If 30mm I can bring along the length of 30mm steel bar that I use to make sure the rings are correctly positioned.

Hello everyone.

Since there seems to be some appetite for my recipes, I thought I'd share this one, which I adapted from something I used to do with pork tenderloin before I had lots of venison in the freezer. It's really quite easy and adaptable. Essentially, you slit your backstrap lengthways, but not all the way through, and stuff the slit with your choice of chopped up herbs, mushrooms, garlic, onions, etc. In this case, I used parsley and sage because they're growing in the garden, and four or five mushrooms, and half an onion. Place the meat and chopped up garnish on some puff pastry (in this case half a block of Morrisons' finest...). If you have too much garnish, it doesn't matter, pile it on, and it will all steam in the pastry parcel. Then close the parcel as tightly as possible, and cover in egg yolk, which is purely for aesthetic purposes. Stick it in a medium oven for about forty-five minutes, remove it, leave it to rest for ten or fifteen minutes before carving, and there. Takes maybe an hour from fridge to plate and the fact that you're steaming it in the pastry means that it's very hard to overcook it. I made bit of a mess of this one by rolling the pastry too thin so that it split, but it was still fine. As I said, it's a forgiving sort of recipe.

View attachment 42840View attachment 42841View attachment 42842View attachment 42843

Looks wonderful!

Very much like the venison Wellington that Mrs Gunn does using roe or muntjac backstrap. The only difference is that the Venny Welly also includes a layer of paté spread over the backstrap.

Last edited:
What size scope rings? If 30mm I can bring along the length of 30mm steel bar that I use to make sure the rings are correctly positioned.

Hello W_G. Thanks, but it's a 1" Leupold scope. I did set it up about a year ago, and then realised after some time that I had fixed it rotated 90 degrees to the left, which is why I couldn't zero it. Then after about fifty rounds of this nonsense, I put the rifle down and the mounts came off. What an amateur... So anyway, at some point I need to head to the BSRC just with the .22 and start again. I could start by boresighting at home though. I think that's a project for after July when I'll in all likelihood go on my last stalk for this year and will put the 7-08 away for the winter.

Looks great pm
well done again , last year I put sine leftover venison stew in pastry as pasties and they were really nice , looking forward to giving this a try
atb Jim

That looks mouth watering Pine martin. As willie_gunn said it is similar to the old Wellington (which we sometimes do with the eye fillets from reds). Nice combo of veni, herbs, mushrooms and pastry - doesn't get much better than that!
Cheers,
Hayden

That looks mouth watering Pine martin. As willie_gunn said it is similar to the old Wellington (which we sometimes do with the eye fillets from reds). Nice combo of veni, herbs, mushrooms and pastry - doesn't get much better than that!
Cheers,
Hayden

Glad you like the look at it! It works with just about any tenderloin, as I said, I did it with pork originally, but it's better with venison.

Oh my!

Time for me to go after another munjac.

I'm starting to run low, but that's OK, I'm clearing the freezer before I go to Canada for two weeks. Then in July, hopefully I shall have a roebuck to put in there. After that, it's probably over until February. But I only have so much freezer space, so much money, free time, and ability to munch my way through deer. Maybe when Young Pine Marten is older, we shall have greater venison requirements, which would be a handy excuse.

I'm starting to run low, but that's OK, I'm clearing the freezer before I go to Canada for two weeks. Then in July, hopefully I shall have a roebuck to put in there. After that, it's probably over until February. But I only have so much freezer space, so much money, free time, and ability to munch my way through deer. Maybe when Young Pine Marten is older, we shall have greater venison requirements, which would be a handy excuse.

Does Mrs PM not partake? Mrs F would not eat any of my Roe venison (for no logical/rational reason, she freely admits!) but fortunately the 2 girls were happy to have their share. They are the same with trout or salmon I might occasionally provide and I don't doubt they are instinctively doing their bit to support me in my infrequent role as hunter/gatherer!

Oh of course she does, but it makes you realise how much of this stuff you eat. The two of us, with the odd guest, have eaten our way through two muntjacs and a CWD since February. That said, we intersperse it with other meat, you need some variety.

Hello everyone.

Just found a use for the leftovers!

Q0NFQTdDODQwQTgwOTBCRjEzODU6YjRhOTk3NDA2ZjQ4MTRjMTVmY2RjMDQ0YmYxMDMxNjU=

K

Just tried this recipe with Roe saddle & was excellent with clean plates all round - so many thanks for posting :thumb:

I also made a red wine/beef stock reduction to accompany:

> A few ground pepper corns
> 250ml beef stock
> 250ml red wine
> tablespoon ketchup
> dash of Cognac
> reduce/simmer in sauce pan until thickens

Rgds

Rob

Back